Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2008, 10:53 PM   #1
Forum Member

Took apart a DA 18-55 Lens...

I know, I know probably shouldnt have done it.. I needed to clean the interior glass as something was stuck to it giving images horrible blobs in the upper left hand corner, and I am broke, so i attempted it myself. Now that its apart and cleaned....I cant get the assembly correct....I can get it to fully zoom, but not get the aperture ring in place....if I put it in place I cant get it to fully zoom, anyone else taken one of these apart and know the correct order of assembly.. If I could just get it to align, I would be fine. I wonder how much it would cost to have a camera shop put it back together for me?

12-10-2008, 11:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Sorry, I can't help at all, but I think it would be really interesting to see what it looks like taken apart. Did you take pictures of the process?
12-11-2008, 12:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It's be cheaper to buy a replacement 18-55mm lens than to get a place to put it back together again.

They can be had for very cheap anywhere ... even on this forum Marketplace.
12-11-2008, 12:38 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
It's be cheaper to buy a replacement 18-55mm lens than to get a place to put it back together again.

They can be had for very cheap anywhere ... even on this forum Marketplace.
How cheap is very cheap?

on another note these are only pics I have of it taken apart at the moment, however i will get better ones tomorrow.

12-11-2008, 12:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/43101-smc-penta...-5-5-6-al.html

$58 in this sale thread.
Now that is CHEAP for one of the best kit lenses available for any brand.
12-11-2008, 12:44 AM   #6
Forum Member

those are really cool photos... if you could post more when you got time, perhaps of the smaller bits it'd be great.
12-11-2008, 02:43 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/43101-smc-penta...-5-5-6-al.html

$58 in this sale thread.
Now that is CHEAP for one of the best kit lenses available for any brand.
See unfortunately I dont have even that at the moment....thats why i took my lens apart to clean it in the first place.

12-11-2008, 09:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

After seeing those pictures and knowing how decently this lens performs, I've go to say that it's pretty amazing that they can build and sell that thing for such a low price...
12-11-2008, 01:01 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
KEH.com has one in "excellent" condition but with a dent in the filter ring for $37
12-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Seeing a lens in bits like that, puts me in the scary zone.
12-11-2008, 01:30 PM   #11
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mushroom_Toy Quote
I wonder how much it would cost to have a camera shop put it back together for me?
If you can get a shop to take on the job, I'll bet they will charge more than it would cost for a good, used lens.
12-11-2008, 01:52 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mushroom_Toy Quote
I know, I know probably shouldnt have done it.. I needed to clean the interior glass as something was stuck to it giving images horrible blobs in the upper left hand corner, and I am broke, so i attempted it myself. Now that its apart and cleaned....I cant get the assembly correct....I can get it to fully zoom, but not get the aperture ring in place....if I put it in place I cant get it to fully zoom, anyone else taken one of these apart and know the correct order of assembly.. If I could just get it to align, I would be fine. I wonder how much it would cost to have a camera shop put it back together for me?
You are a brave man. Good luck!
12-11-2008, 02:18 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Did you make sure it wasn't sensor dust? Some of my lenses have specks inside on the glass that you can easily see with the naked eye, and they don't do a thing to the images.
12-15-2008, 06:38 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
No ther is no dust on the sensor. That of course was the first thing I checked out. Anyway I gave up on putting it back together and ordered a new one from buydig.com for 49.99 with free shipping. Should be here day before christmas. XD
12-15-2008, 07:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

might as well convert the lens barrel to something useful
i've seen canon lenses converted to mugs / pencil holders