Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2022, 01:35 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fuzzyphotos Quote
The eagles were mostly on the opposite side of the Mississippi river.
Good , high quality wildlife shots of birds require to be within 4 to 20 meter distance from the subject , depending on the size of the subject. Getting close, shooting from a hide, that's the secret of making good wildlife images.
If the subject is across the river, you need 2000mm or more. Use a bridge camera Nikon P1000 or buy a T-mount to K mount adapter to mount your camera on a scope.

02-09-2022, 01:40 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My wife and I went eagle watching a couple weeks ago. The eagles were mostly on the opposite side of the Mississippi river. They were mostly smallish birds with my 300. I have the DA 1.4 converter, that I forgot (didn't check to make sure it was on the lens when we left home). So my wife says "you need a longer lens"! Thats an invitation to get something looong.

I would like 600mm but truly I don't want to spend $4000 or $5000 on one.

The options I see are:
DFA 150-450 but that doesn't get me to 600 unless I use the converter. Used it can be had for around $15-1600.

A*600 f5.6 under $2000 but manual focus,

F*600 f4.0 I'd be happy with a well used one as long as the glass was good.
FA*600 f4.0 again well used is fine but the F and FA are well above what I want to or can spend.
Then there's the FA* 250-600, there's even one for sale here on the forum. Again well over what I want to spend.

I guess the K 135-600 and K500 would be options too but not sure it's what I want.

If you were spending your money and I'm retired so somewhat limited income, what would you do? Ideas? Have I over looked anything?

Currently my longest lens in the DA*300 + DA1.4 converter at 420mm.

Thanks

Tim
IF (and this is a very BIG IF), size and weight of lens isn't an issue.

And IF you are ok to splash the cash.

FA600 and F600 will be the ones to look at (for 600mm).

Else, DA560 and Sigma 500 EX or EX DG (both possible to be used handheld) be the ones to look at.
02-09-2022, 02:16 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I would dream about that longer lens, but not letting it go further than dreaming. Your wife's statement was right, are you sure she invited you to buy another expensive lens? So yes dream about it and keep the money in your pocket for more important things?
02-09-2022, 02:21 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Mr. Forsyth, I fear there is something wrong with either your camera or with your post-processor, but do you always have those faint streakes across your picture? Good picture but completely destroyed by malfunctioning of camera or post-processor.

02-09-2022, 06:33 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I’ve seen good shots but I’ve seen far more than aren’t great. I tried one but it could just be poor technique but I’ve used other long lenses with less difficulty.
02-09-2022, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I’ve seen good shots but I’ve seen far more than aren’t great. I tried one but it could just be poor technique but I’ve used other long lenses with less difficulty.
It's not an easy lens to use, and color fringing is a significant issue at the widest apertures, but in terms of sharpness the lens is the goods.

The fact that I can shoot a roaming fox near 8 pm on a cloudy evening, and get good fur detail with the lens wide open, has me enthusiastic about the K 500/4.5...

I wouldn't recommend it to the OP, though, because there definitely is a greater-than-average learning curve with it and he seems prepared to spend a more significant amount of cash for a better, more convenient solution.
02-09-2022, 09:04 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I guess I left out the cameras I have, A K5 that doesn't get used, it hit the ground in Yellowstone and has something loose in it. I replaced it with a K5iis, I also have the original K3. I was thinking about upgrading the camera body but these are just fine. I've wanted longer glass for a while. Now I might be able to get something with out sharing a bed with the dog.

Great advice (and some nice images too) and some options I hadn't thought about. Not sure about getting a body just to have the lens, I'll have to think about that.

Tim

02-09-2022, 09:21 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
It's not available in K mount. It's a very popular and good choice for the other brands, one that we all wish was available for our cameras.
If you're shooting manual anyway I thought I remembered reading about a recommended Nikon to K adapter here yesterday. I think it was under $30 too. Then you can have that 150-600

Edit, this one: https://www.amazon.com/Concept-Lens-Mount-Adapter-Pentax/dp/B00LECY13K

Last edited by gatorguy; 02-09-2022 at 09:27 AM.
02-09-2022, 09:21 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I'm with everyone who says getting closer is the first thing to attempt. We all look for bargains, but if everyone knew about them, they wouldn't be bargains would they. I'd go with the D FA 150-450 and 1.4 TC. Just because it's a "final solution". When you have it, you're done. But, for me, the DA 55-300 PLM with 1.4 TC is probably the most desirable because of size weight, handling and performance. Nothing in the 150-600 range comes close.
02-09-2022, 02:47 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I have a Sigma 150-500 DG OS for Pentax and it is capable of excellent images. I presently use my Pentax K-5 IIs on it. I think you may be surprised at what the Pentax 150-450 or Sigma 150--500 can do, though the 150-500 is not manufactured anymore. If I were you, I would most likely consider the Pentax 150-450 by itself, and as I said I think you may be surprised at the shot quality and the crops that you can get from good shots. If you tried the 150-450 I think it would show you some of the real advantages of having a lens that is longer than 300 that you have had experience with. Of course as you said the 250-600 is another option, and obviously there is a difference in price to consider. As I said, you would have crop capability with shots from the 150-450, which may satisfy your needs for now, until you may want to further with your zoom distance at a later time.

Last edited by C_Jones; 02-09-2022 at 02:55 PM.
02-09-2022, 03:06 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure about getting a body just to have the lens, I'll have to think about that.
I know it can seem oddly excessive at first blush, but an APS-C body plus 150-600 is the easiest, most economical way to get to 600mm in a modern system... for similar cost to the DFA 150-450. And, you would have room to expand further by adding a 1.4x teleconverter.

Quite a few photography enthusiasts have a dedicated wildlife rig, often consisting of a camera with a smaller sensor mated to a long telephoto lens.
02-09-2022, 04:05 PM   #27
Pentaxian

ot sure about getting a body just to have the lens, I'll have to think about that.
Tim
The whole point of "upgrading" to a 24Mpixel camera can be, given a good quality lens to start with, that the extra cropping capability available means that a longer lens may not be necessary

Last edited by kypfer; 02-09-2022 at 04:07 PM. Reason: grammar
02-09-2022, 05:12 PM   #28
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm going to urge you to spend money and rent equipment:

QuoteQuote:
Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent
Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

to get actual hands on experience to see if you might like the D FA 150-450mm and the DA 1.4 teleconverter

[ hint, if you sign up with LensRental.com, they regularly send out discount offers on the cost of rental ]
02-09-2022, 05:46 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I gave up and bought the DA560, I use it on my K1 MKII and will be replacing soon my K5/with a K3MKiii.
02-09-2022, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Well, I spent the day examining the Nikon options, never thought I would do that. I still need to decide if that is something I want to do but sounds more reasonable after researching a little. A D810 in crop mode gets me the same (almost) field of view as on the pentax crop but I loose a few mega pixles off shooting a K5. The D7500 would likely be the best Nikon option. I have information overload on Nikon right now so may be wrong on that point.

The Mississippi is a little more narrow where we were, about 2000 feet wide. I told a friend I had never seen so many eagles in one place and she went over there. The eagles were on the same side as she was, so I need to go back. I know 600mm won't help with the cross river shots but would help getting them when they are fishing in the middle or closer.