Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2022, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #1
Closed Account

Using green button with Takumar lens - (?)

Is it possible to use the "green button" method with most Tukumar lens?
Just curious....

02-18-2022, 04:31 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
yep you can use tAkumar lenses with green button functionality - especially in M mode. Stop down your aperture, hit the green button, and you've got your appropriate shutter speed.
However, it is easier to place the camera in Av mode, and get a real-time reading of your required shutter speed as you stop down the lens.

---------- Post added 02-18-22 at 04:40 PM ----------

its one of my most favourite features..
02-18-2022, 05:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Is this a screw-mount or a K-mount Takumar?
For screw-mount FozzFoster's recommendations are good, but for a K-mount lens you'll need to stick with Manual Mode and use the green button if you're not working wide open.
02-18-2022, 05:46 PM   #4
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Is this a screw-mount or a K-mount Takumar?
For screw-mount FozzFoster's recommendations are good, but for a K-mount lens you'll need to stick with Manual Mode and use the green button if you're not working wide open.
I thought all the Tukumar were screw mount, as that's what I see when shopping. I did just google it and you are correct that some were k mount - what I read though said the k mount versions were of inferior quality & shouldn't be a target for collectors.....

Further question: I suppose, using a Tukumar lens (with green button), is very similar to using an M k mount lens, eh? Many Tukumar lens simply cost less, because they aren't k mount, and would make for affordable additions to ones collection (?)

02-18-2022, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
I thought all the Tukumar were screw mount, as that's what I see when shopping. I did just google it and you are correct that some were k mount - what I read though said the k mount versions were of inferior quality & shouldn't be a target for collectors.....
Further question: I suppose, using a Tukumar lens (with green button), is very similar to using an M k mount lens, eh? Many Tukumar lens simply cost less, because they aren't k mount, and would make for affordable additions to ones collection (?)
Alleged "inferior" build quality doesn't necessarily mean inferior optical quality … just means if you drop it it's less likely to bounce
I don't consider myself a "collector", more of an "accumulator" … I pick up interesting stuff at "sensible" prices … sometimes I get lucky
I use the green button in Manual Mode exclusively when I'm not using "A" capable lenses, screw mount or K mount … just my way of ensuring I don't make a mistake!
My "manual mantra" is F-A-S-T :-
Focus, with the lens wide open
Aperture, close down as required
Shutter, press the green button to get a reading
Take the picture
I've been using this since the '60's … it still works

Now I've got my K-3iii I've got the option of using the older non-A K-mount lenses in Av etc., but old habits die hard!
02-18-2022, 07:11 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Alleged "inferior" build quality doesn't necessarily mean inferior optical quality … just means if you drop it it's less likely to bounce
I don't consider myself a "collector", more of an "accumulator" … I pick up interesting stuff at "sensible" prices … sometimes I get lucky
I use the green button in Manual Mode exclusively when I'm not using "A" capable lenses, screw mount or K mount … just my way of ensuring I don't make a mistake!
My "manual mantra" is F-A-S-T :-
Focus, with the lens wide open
Aperture, close down as required
Shutter, press the green button to get a reading
Take the picture
I've been using this since the '60's … it still works

Now I've got my K-3iii I've got the option of using the older non-A K-mount lenses in Av etc., but old habits die hard!
FAST Works as long as the lens doesn’t exhibit aperture related focus shift. Some lenses do but mostly not dslr ones.
02-19-2022, 01:59 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote

You can get Takumars with SMC coating and K mount. Check out the user reviews here on the Forums. Just beware of UNCOATED cheap Takumars. The lens will have SMC engraved on it. If not, run screaming into the night!!!

02-19-2022, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
Just beware of UNCOATED cheap Takumars. The lens will have SMC engraved on it. If not, run screaming into the night!!!
A little over-exaggeration I feel
My 28mm f/2.8 Takumar-A is a perfectly good lens … not SMC-engraved maybe, but certainly not uncoated.
As with virtually all my lenses, it's invariably used with a lens-hood, for mechanical protection as much as anything else, so I may not be pushing it to it's "optical extremes" as far as out-of-frame side-lighting is concerned, but if I do my job the lens gives very acceptable results, certainly on a par with my 28mm f/2.8 SMC Pentax-M
02-19-2022, 03:56 PM   #9
Pentaxian

A little over-exaggeration I feel
My 28mm f/2.8 Takumar-A is a perfectly good lens … not SMC-engraved maybe, but certainly not uncoated.
As with virtually all my lenses, it's invariably used with a lens-hood, for mechanical protection as much as anything else, so I may not be pushing it to it's "optical extremes" as far as out-of-frame side-lighting is concerned, but if I do my job the lens gives very acceptable results, certainly on a par with my 28mm f/2.8 SMC Pentax-M
I didn’t mean to overreact!! . I am under the understanding that there are “Takumars” of inferior quality from the 1980s or so that have no optical coating. I may be wrong, but that is what I remember from the “comprehensive lens guide” here on the Forums. I hope I didn’t cause any confusion.
02-19-2022, 04:41 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
I didn’t mean to overreact!! . I am under the understanding that there are “Takumars” of inferior quality from the 1980s or so that have no optical coating. I may be wrong, but that is what I remember from the “comprehensive lens guide” here on the Forums. I hope I didn’t cause any confusion.
Even the Takumar Bayonet 135/2.5 I have is coated - but they didn’t use SMC coatings. My guess is that they were single coated or multi coated but not as many layers.
02-20-2022, 07:13 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Even the Takumar Bayonet 135/2.5 I have is coated - but they didn’t use SMC coatings. My guess is that they were single coated or multi coated but not as many layers.

Yes, you are correct. I checked the Lens Guide, and those lenses lack the SMC multi-coating. My fault for relying on memory and not checking first!