Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2022, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Protolabs wants $200 for the big one. Ouch.

03-04-2022, 06:43 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by patharan Quote
Yikes!!!! Ok corrugated plastic and Bobby pins for me then.
03-04-2022, 06:49 AM   #18
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by patharan Quote
I'll stay with the foam for my box/drawers:

the big grey box project - or where am I going to store 50+ lenses and the rest of it - PentaxForums.com
03-04-2022, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
The lens-cap solution is far more flexible … you can adjust the spacing to fit in the lenses you particularly own, so, potentially, getting more in, rather than having to leave large areas of empty space around each mount "just in case"
You could get the file for the rack and modify it to the dimensions of your lenses. That's something that could even be accomplished with a free, online CAD tool like Tinkercad. Probably a 15-minute task.

I'd print this out myself, except that I have a $200 Monoprice 3D printer with a maximum print size of maybe 5" or 6" on a side so it would have to be printed in sections and glued together. If you have a printer big enough to handle it this would cost maybe $1 or $2 in filament and a few cents in electricity.

I've printed a number of photography-related things, including double-ended rear lens caps, holders for two D-LI90 batteries (color coded, one red for the spent batteries), hotshoe covers, aperture plates for my Lomography Daguerreotype lens, telescope-to-K-mount adapter. It's very handy.

03-04-2022, 07:25 AM - 5 Likes   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

for larger lenses - wine rack

The lens for the 645 system are really close to diameter of wine bottle, so I used some zipties to combine multiple units together. Works nicely, I put labels on the lens cap to help identify

Last edited by tmoses; 03-04-2022 at 07:31 AM.
03-04-2022, 07:26 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I'd print this out myself, except that I have a $200 Monoprice 3D printer with a maximum print size of maybe 5" or 6" on a side so it would have to be printed in sections and glued together. If you have a printer big enough to handle it this would cost maybe $1 or $2 in filament and a few cents in electricity. .
Are you sure on that cost? I don’t have a 3d printer but my looking at then led me to think the printing was a bit more expensive than that.

---------- Post added 03-04-22 at 09:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tmoses Quote
The lens for the 645 system are really close to diameter of wine bottle, so I used some zipties to combine multiple units together. Works nicely, I put labels on the lens cap to help identify
Cool idea.
03-04-2022, 10:22 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Are you sure on that cost? I don’t have a 3d printer but my looking at then led me to think the printing was a bit more expensive than that.[COLOR="Silver"]
I bought my 3D printer about three years ago, at the same time I bought about four rolls of Amazon Basics PLA filament that cost a total of about $60. I've probably used 3/4ths of those rolls after printing many dozens of things of various sizes. So any one thing couldn't cost more than a dollar or two.

03-04-2022, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I use a chest of drawers, and padded trays inside with velcro dividers. Easy, cheap solution, highly configurable.
03-04-2022, 10:26 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the commercial 3d printing outfits calculate cost primarily by build bed footprint. a 10"square uses lots of real estate so they can't batch many if any add'l parts. At home it's probably a fraction of $1 material and an overnight print so YMMV.
03-04-2022, 10:39 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
I use a chest of drawers, and padded trays inside with velcro dividers. Easy, cheap solution, highly configurable.
Pictures? That’s cool sounding also.
03-04-2022, 04:17 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Pictures? That’s cool sounding also.
Good Idea. I'll take some and post.
03-04-2022, 04:18 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tmoses Quote
I think I had that kid's tool set that is cut off on the right side. Any chance you can post a picture?
03-28-2022, 08:42 AM   #28

I am presently 3d printing the thingiverse 9 lens rack. FWIW, It takes about 24 hours to print the rack at 15% infill.
I concur that buying bulk quantity rear lens caps off of ebay and screwing them down to a board offers an easier approach.
However I would be worried that the caps could easily break if used this way.