Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2008, 01:52 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Filters...use them? which brand?

I received a Conkin filter with my latest lens purchase. I haven't used a Conkin before, mostly Kenko, Hoya, and B+W. Anyone used a Conkin before? Which ones do you generally shoot with?

12-12-2008, 02:00 PM   #2

Hello,

I think the correct brand name is Cokin, which is well known for its stackable filter series (google for Cokin A system or Cokin P system) ...

Up to now, i have only one UV Cokin filter, and found it not bad at all ... The brand i mostly use, for both UV and polarizers, is B+W ...

Hope this helps

Best regards
12-12-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Just use the best you can afford and only then when you need to use 'em.

Lens manufacturers spend fortunes on development of their lenses, don't spoil them with poor quality filters.
12-12-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
nah

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Indianadinos Quote
Hello,

I think the correct brand name is Cokin, which is well known for its stackable filter series (google for Cokin A system or Cokin P system) ...

Up to now, i have only one UV Cokin filter, and found it not bad at all ... The brand i mostly use, for both UV and polarizers, is B+W ...

Hope this helps

Best regards
Oops, you're right. I also have a B+W on my other lenses and found they're great. I guess I'll have to try both and see if it's worth it to buy another B+W.

12-12-2008, 04:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

So far I have been able to find SMC Pentax filters for all my lenses. I don't know if there is any advantage to using SMC filters with Pentax glass but I figured it couldn't do any harm. To bad they don't seem to make them any more.

Tom G
12-12-2008, 06:20 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hoya makes thin SMC filters and I have those on my lenses.
12-12-2008, 09:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If you are going for just ND filters, i guess B+W, LEE, Hoya is ok. You can get those screw in filters which are pretty convenient. But u need to check if you are using wide angle lenses with these filters, because of vignette issues.

But if you are going for graduated ND, then i can only think of those rectangular filters like hitech, cokin, lee, stingray.