Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2008, 02:39 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Got my new lens :] Amazing, but STIFF! [Sigma]

Hey guys! First time posting a thread...
I got my new Sigma 17-70mm F.28 for my K200D
and i love it! it's a sharp mofo! Much better than my kit lens

Flickr: PENTAXFTW12's Photostream

Only the six most recent pictures are taken with the Sigma
All the other's were taken with the kit lens
Check them out tell me what you think :]

ALSO

I have one question....
The zoom ring on my new lens is VERY STIFF...especially when i first got it...it's loosening up a little now but its still very tight and i really have to make an effort and use my hand muscles to change the focal length. I don't want to sound like a cry-baby or anything but this is just a very drastic difference from my kit lens! I was wondering if i sent it in to Sigma or back to Henry's [where i bought it] if they could perhaps loosen it just a tad? I understand that this lens has a little bit of a creeping problem, but this hasn't even happen to me yet just because of how stiff my copy of the lens is...

Suggestions/comments/answers/similar experiences?

Anything guys :]

12-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
The zoom ring on my new lens is VERY STIFF...especially when i first got it...it's loosening up a little now but its still very tight and i really have to make an effort and use my hand muscles to change the focal length. I don't want to sound like a cry-baby or anything but this is just a very drastic difference from my kit lens! I was wondering if i sent it in to Sigma or back to Henry's [where i bought it] if they could perhaps loosen it just a tad? I understand that this lens has a little bit of a creeping problem, but this hasn't even happen to me yet just because of how stiff my copy of the lens is...
My Bigma was exactly the same when new, to the point where I couldn't actually turn the zoom ring when holding the camera up to take a shot. After a bit of use it loosened up nicely and now it's smooth and easy to turn without being loose.

I think it must be down to how Sigma manufactures them, I'd just give it a bit of time and it should sort itself out.
12-12-2008, 02:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Congrats with your new lens and welcome to the forums (officialy i guess). You'll find the 17-70 to be incredibly sharp, very useful in terms of focal length, and the close focusing is probably the most underappreciated feature until you switch to another lens and realize you have to back up to actually be able to focus on something, there is virtually no minimum working distance.

I don't remember the 17-70 being too stiff when I first tried it but I'm certain it will loosen up to a comfortable amount of dampening. One thing you might have to get used to though is that with the kit lens you may be used to just turning the zoom ring with just your fingers, I find that more often i firmly grip the ring with my fingers and turn with my wrist (i do this on my 24-70 which is even more stiff than i remember my 17-70 being.)

Anyways the pictures look great, especially that one of the eye. Enjoy the lens
12-12-2008, 04:22 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
oh thanks guys
ill give it some time then see if it breaks in a little bit :]