Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2022, 03:39 PM   #91
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Yeah, I haven't tested everthing out with the adapter and Pentax glass, so not sure DMF works with the adapter since DMF is for Sony lenses which are fly-by-wire.

On Sony glass, yes, DMF is amazing as you can map a button to magnification while focusing all the way to what your body can support. So its amazing to get perfect focus even with the amazing autofocus of modern Sony bodies.

With modern sensors, with their resolution, its amazing to get perfect focus.

While I love my optical viewfinder, DMF function in electronic viewfinders is a game changer to get the most crisp focus you can get from a lens/body combination.
I have a button set on my Sony to invoke viewfinder magnification. But I thought DMF was more than that. Looking at the explanations online I’m not sure there’s any benefit for me as I use back button af so it’s always able to be coaxed into “manual focus” by not pressing the af button.

12-12-2022, 06:01 AM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What does DMF offer over say quickshift? Is it the magnified manual focus aid? I use both and DMF isn’t a thing a use a lot. I’m not certain it’s supported with the adapter.
DMF is like someone saw quickshift, thought it was a good idea, but didn't know what to do next with it. It's crappy, doesn't work well, and must be specifically selected.
12-12-2022, 06:04 AM   #93
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
DMF is like someone saw quickshift, thought it was a good idea, but didn't know what to do next with it. It's crappy, doesn't work well, and must be specifically selected.
For me the use of back button af is the more universal fix.
12-12-2022, 07:02 AM   #94
Pentaxian

On my S5 I'd just click into MF then as soon as I turn the focus ring I'd get the magnified view box appearing to allow me to focus exactly where I want.

12-12-2022, 08:34 AM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wow...I guess your experience with DMF must be on different lenses or bodies?
That is not my experience. Of course it must be selected, just like AF-S, AF-C or MF.
Maybe on lesser camera's viewfinder? DMF is pretty much on all of Sony's cameras, so it might not be as good on some cameras.

Yes, DMF on my little RX100M3 is not very good, but thats' to be expected.
12-13-2022, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #96
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Wow...I guess your experience with DMF must be on different lenses or bodies?
That is not my experience. Of course it must be selected, just like AF-S, AF-C or MF.
Maybe on lesser camera's viewfinder? DMF is pretty much on all of Sony's cameras, so it might not be as good on some cameras.

Yes, DMF on my little RX100M3 is not very good, but thats' to be expected.
It's not the magnification that is a problem. It's the implementation. That it's a distinct mode vs AF-S or AF-C, that it must be selected, that it's inconsistent, those are its flaws. Comparing it with quickshift immediately shows its shortcomings.
12-13-2022, 01:06 PM   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's not the magnification that is a problem. It's the implementation. That it's a distinct mode vs AF-S or AF-C, that it must be selected, that it's inconsistent, those are its flaws. Comparing it with quickshift immediately shows its shortcomings.
Hmm.. ya know, the A7RV now can have full time DMF while AF-C or AF-S as well as a distinct mode? Not sure the A7RV is the only one that has this? Yes, I also use the back button focus, as well as mapping zoom etc.

There are a ton of customizations to pretty much do anything you want.

I get it though, its not for everyone.

L.

01-01-2023, 06:23 AM   #98
Pentaxian

Original Poster
New firmware V3 released

"January 1, 2023, Shenzhen, China. MonsterAdapter is pleased to release the v03 firmware for Pentax K-mount to Sony E-mount electronic adapter LA-KE1.
By following LA-EA4r and LA-FE1, new firmware of LA-KE1 v03 also adds new focus drive algorithm: G Driver II, which effectively improves the auto focus performance of K-mount screw-driven lenses on Sony mirrorless cameras (including AF-S single focus and AF-C continuous focus). According to the team tests, the focusing speed in many scenes has been able to equal or exceed the Pentax SLRs on last E-mount cameras. Which will make your shooting experience more enjoyable.
Note 1: G Driver needs the support by the camera, please see below for the list of compatible bodies. In case of a suitable camera, the adapter will automatically enable the G Driver I or II, and other cameras will continue to use the existing driver.
Note 2: Due to lens technical reasons, G Driver for LA-KE1 is only available for screw-driven lenses supported by LA-KE1, lenses with SDM/DC/PLM motors will continue to use existing focus algorithm. If the lens is a dual-drive lens, the screw-driven mode can support G Driver, while the SDM mode will continue to use existing one.
Get MonsterAdapter LA-FE1 firmware v03 here (for Windows PC only):
Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

"

From the documentation :

1. Added G Driver II focus algorithm, supported cameras gets faster
focus speed (See supported cameras and notes);
2. More lenses supported, over 60 lenses now;
3. Two AF teleconverters supported;
4. Fixed AF issue of some type FA 50mm f1.4 due to different lens
data;
5. Improves the overall stability.

Last edited by pinholecam; 01-01-2023 at 06:57 AM.
01-01-2023, 07:32 AM - 2 Likes   #99
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
New firmware V3 released

"January 1, 2023, Shenzhen, China. MonsterAdapter is pleased to release the v03 firmware for Pentax K-mount to Sony E-mount electronic adapter LA-KE1.
By following LA-EA4r and LA-FE1, new firmware of LA-KE1 v03 also adds new focus drive algorithm: G Driver II, which effectively improves the auto focus performance of K-mount screw-driven lenses on Sony mirrorless cameras (including AF-S single focus and AF-C continuous focus). According to the team tests, the focusing speed in many scenes has been able to equal or exceed the Pentax SLRs on last E-mount cameras. Which will make your shooting experience more enjoyable.
Note 1: G Driver needs the support by the camera, please see below for the list of compatible bodies. In case of a suitable camera, the adapter will automatically enable the G Driver I or II, and other cameras will continue to use the existing driver.
Note 2: Due to lens technical reasons, G Driver for LA-KE1 is only available for screw-driven lenses supported by LA-KE1, lenses with SDM/DC/PLM motors will continue to use existing focus algorithm. If the lens is a dual-drive lens, the screw-driven mode can support G Driver, while the SDM mode will continue to use existing one.
Get MonsterAdapter LA-FE1 firmware v03 here (for Windows PC only):
Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

"

From the documentation :

1. Added G Driver II focus algorithm, supported cameras gets faster
focus speed (See supported cameras and notes);
2. More lenses supported, over 60 lenses now;
3. Two AF teleconverters supported;
4. Fixed AF issue of some type FA 50mm f1.4 due to different lens
data;
5. Improves the overall stability.
Great news. I will go look at the list of supported devices.

---------- Post added 01-01-23 at 09:45 AM ----------

Looking at the info on the main site I want to say this is a welcome addition.

First: the list of bodies supporting g driver II includes my A7Riii - that’s fantastic news!

Second: two of the teleconverters I own are now supported with existing compatible lenses. This is excellent to hear as well.

Third: the new lenses supported for the first time includes a third party lens. That gives me reason to celebrate.

Fourth: Perhaps the MOST important news is that this product isn’t abandoned. They’re still working on improvements.

I’m as excited as a kid at Christmas…

Off to do a firmware update. (Maybe… I might want to first take some measurements of focus speeds - drat!)

Last edited by UncleVanya; 01-01-2023 at 07:46 AM.
01-02-2023, 03:47 AM - 1 Like   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
New firmware V3 released
These are the added lenses and accessories:
Prime lenses (+4)
smc PENTAX-DA 14mm F2.8 ED[IF] *1
smc PENTAX-FA SOFT 28mm F2.8 *1, *2
smc PENTAX-F Macro 50mm F2.8
smc PENTAX-FA SOFT 85mm F2.8 *1

Zoom lenses (+4, one third party!)
HD PENTAX-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED PLM AW (First PLM lens)
smc PENTAX-F FISH-EYE 17-28mm F3.5-4.5
HD PENTAX-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR
Tamron SP AF Aspherical Di LD [IF] 17-35mm F2.8-4

Accessories (2)
HD PENTAX-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter *3
smc PENTAX-F AF Adapter 1.7x *4

On Monsteradapter.com the notes where only available in Chinese, google translated them for me:
*1: Autofocus and body aperture control are only effective when the aperture ring is set between F4.5-F32. If the aperture value set by the body is smaller than the value of the aperture ring, it will cause overexposure
*2: Due to the optical characteristics of the lens, the accuracy of autofocus cannot be guaranteed
*3 The APS-C cropping mode is not automatically turned on; when using this teleconverter, it may cause difficulty in focusing after changing the lens, please remove the camera battery and put it back to solve it
*4. A, F, FA, DA and DFA series lenses only, K and M series lenses are not supported

Footnote 4 is particularly interesting: with the AF Adapter 1.7x "A lenses" are supported! I cannot wait to test it!

Rudy

Last edited by KoenR; 01-03-2023 at 06:12 AM.
01-02-2023, 04:00 AM   #101
Pentaxian

Adding older lenses I think is the most important update as the biggest limitation of this product is the compatibility list. There are loads and loads of old AF K-mount lenses around but most of them can't be used on this adapter.
01-02-2023, 07:10 AM   #102
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Has anyone tried the new firmware on an “A” series lens and the f 1.7x? How does the camera know what focal length the lens is?
01-02-2023, 07:48 AM   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Has anyone already upgraded the firmware to version 3?
01-02-2023, 08:11 AM   #104
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KoenR Quote
I’m trying to wait a bit. I want
to take some focusing speed measurements before and after making the change.
01-03-2023, 03:57 PM   #105
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KoenR Quote
I couldn't stand it. I upgraded. You can't downgrade BTW.

Initial impressions
  1. Holy wow. It's faster. I have an A7RIII so I wasn't able to use the original G-Driver which wouldn't work with the A7RIII. The new G-DriverII is able to work on the A7RIII.
  2. However, I'm not sure it's as capable at low light. It seems to shoot past focus when using my FA* 300 in a situation that worked just before the upgrade to the new firmware. (Maybe not? See UPDATE below)
  3. The sounds coming from the device are now comical - it sounds mostly like before but faster - but there are also some new sounds that belong on a sci-fi channel. One sound was like a ray-gun. Not loud, just wild.

UPDATE: I just double checked and I was able to get focus (and fairly fast) on a picture I had take just before hand. I'm not sure yet if the others are more about it already being at the limits of the light needed. I would like to hear from others. I did not see a similar behavior from the DA 35 f2.4 I tested.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 01-03-2023 at 04:03 PM.