Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 155 Likes Search this Thread
03-30-2022, 04:20 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would like to know how it will respond to something like a sigma APO70-200/2.8 EX (screw drive version).

03-30-2022, 08:16 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I would like to know how it will respond to something like a sigma APO70-200/2.8 EX (screw drive version).
It won’t work with current firmware. Each lens must be explicitly supported. Any lens not supported but fully Pentax autofocus compatible (not focus by wire) appears to work well in manual focus mode communicating focal length and allowing aperture control. However I have only tested a few lenses so far - all are Pentax branded.
03-31-2022, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting and informative info

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
right , I think I will be getting one ,
did anyone try it with a7IV?
I have my answer.

MonsterAdapter LA-KE1 review: Get Eye AF with your Pentax lenses on Sony E-mount!: Digital Photography Review
04-01-2022, 06:13 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Yep, I had a read of that this morning. I was very surprised to see them reviewing something like that but of course, if it involves Sony then they have to have a good look. If it weren't for the lack on in-camera RAW post-processing then I would consider a switch to Sony, especially with this adapter available.

What seems to be lacking is a greater number of supported lenses. They would really need to expand what's covered, especially for lenses that are a bit older such as the F and FA series.

04-02-2022, 07:00 AM   #35

Pentax 60 - 250 F4 and screw drive switch on Monster adapter

If a Pentax 60 - 250 F4 SDM fails, would the screw drive switch on the adapter enable AF? I think not based on discussions on PF elsewhere, but just wanted confirmation, if possible. Thanks.
04-02-2022, 08:14 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We need someone with both a Monster Adapter and a SDM dead 60-250 to be sure, but, it probably would work with the screw drive switch enabled. The 60-250 does support screw drive but for some reason cannot be defaulted internally to screw drive like some of the other SDM lenses. If it does work the Monster Adapter would be a big help to Pentaxians with dead SDM.
04-03-2022, 02:07 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by geraldan Quote
If a Pentax 60 - 250 F4 SDM fails, would the screw drive switch on the adapter enable AF? I think not based on discussions on PF elsewhere, but just wanted confirmation, if possible. Thanks.

Looks like yes, the manufacturer states the micro switch inside does just that.

Also from DPR's review (the link is two posts above):

"Bring new life to a failing SDM lens with AF type selection

On the opposite side of the barrel you'll find a smaller bulge for the aperture control motor and a nice spring-loaded mount release switch. You'll also find one more tiny switch hidden beneath the top of the K-mount inside the adapter body, but chances are that you'll never need to use it. If you do, though, it could breathe new life into an otherwise-broken optic which might well have been beyond economical repair.

Flick this switch out of its default position and for lenses which offer a choice of either in-lens or screw-drive AF, operation will be locked into the screw-drive mode. If you own a lens with a failed internal motor that's potentially a big deal, breathing new life into an otherwise AF-less lens. Given that SDM motors have a questionable reputation, especially those which aren't used frequently, this switch could be a lifesaver for some Pentaxians."

04-04-2022, 01:23 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geraldan Quote
I can't confirm or deny that yet. I can tell you that a normally working SDM lens can be forced into screw drive on the adapter however. I have tested this with a couple of SDM lenses that are supported and all worked. I have not yet been able to test my DA 60-250 as I had reassembled it with too much silicone caulk after an aborted attempt at baffle replacement. My copy will not fit onto the adapter due to the tolerance - it does fit fine on many of my cameras so I suspect that the problem is very slight but it is going to need to be fixed before I can actually test a 60-250 in screw drive mode.
04-04-2022, 01:58 PM   #39

Re: Pentax 60 - 250 F4 and Monster Adapter. Thanks for the numerous comments on this issue. Much appreciated.
If I buy the adapter (probably will) I can report back on using a working SDM 60 - 250 F4 with the switch in screw drive position [Position 1 I think]. Hopefully, that will successfully show that it can be forced into screw drive mode for AF.
04-05-2022, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow thanks for sharing. interesting finding... personally, i felt the DFA50 doesnt seem to be that slow when i uses it. hmm
But maybe i am using AF-S , single or selective point is as good as pentax. However, when i used AF-C, the result is mixed and ain't the best.

My shots with the DFA 50
SRA00438_filtered

SRA00385_filtered
04-05-2022, 09:38 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ranchy Quote
Wow thanks for sharing. interesting finding... personally, i felt the DFA50 doesnt seem to be that slow when i uses it. hmm
But maybe i am using AF-S , single or selective point is as good as pentax. However, when i used AF-C, the result is mixed and ain't the best.

My shots with the DFA 50
SRA00438_filtered

SRA00385_filtered
Yes, agree that the AFC performance is kinda quirky.
It seems to be very jitterish, constantly trying to focus even when subject is relatively static.
The result is more misses with AF imo.
Its not hard to understand since the adapter + motor + FW +screw/SDM drive system is another added layer to the focusing and the constant back and forth communication to the camera will be hard for both to cope.
04-06-2022, 05:14 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
FA135/2.8

I have had this lens for quite a while, but been not able to use it properly for the past 5years.
It just did not focus properly on the K1 until f4, where before this, there was no issue on the K5 and K30.
Perhaps it was always off and the larger DOF on apsc masked the issue, but this is not the only lens I had issues on the K1.

On the adapter, I am happy that AF is accurate and I seem to notice that even the purple fringing issues seem to be minimized.

My thoughts is likely that a lot of the purple fringing I saw was down to slightly off focus as well as the higher pixel density on the K1.
Whatever it is, its certainly a 'side effect' that I welcome.

This lens is certainly a joy to use.
Nice bokeh, good shallow DOF for portraits while still a good working distance on FF.
Sharp wide open which benefits from the accuracy being used with the adapter.
The compact size really goes well with the camera+adapter.
Close focus is the last thing that makes it such a versatile lens.

Happy with the result for this lens on the adapter.
Really glad that I am able to use it for wide open shooting again.
04-15-2022, 10:13 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Anyone tried the LA KE1 with the Pentax 1.7x AF adapter?
04-15-2022, 09:06 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Anyone tried the LA KE1 with the Pentax 1.7x AF adapter?
I haven’t but for the reasons previously mentioned And from discussion with the designer I’d guess it won’t work.
04-18-2022, 06:37 AM   #45
Pentaxian

I wonder if they're considering making such an adapter for other FF mirrorless mounts...