Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2022, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I should be getting my test sample in the next few weeks, at last, looking forward to it! I'll be able to test the 1.7x TC, FA Limited, SDM, Dc and screwdrive lenses.

04-20-2022, 07:01 AM   #47
Pentaxian

I wish they'd make one of these for the L-mount...
04-20-2022, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I acquired the LA KE1 while in the US. Have tested it on my Sony A7ii with:
- smc PENTAX-F 28mm F2.8: OK
- smc PENTAX-DA 40mm F2.8 XS: OK
- smc PENTAX-D FA Macro 50mm F2.8: OK

I also tried to use the Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x Teleplus SHQ Teleconverter (Has SDM contacts). But a flange protecting the aperture lever is protruding too much and it is impossible to mount it on the monster adapter (AF/Pz-AF 1.4x/1.5x Teleplus.... - Pentax Lens Review Database)

I also experience a power drain issue when leaving the monster adapter on the sony. After 1 day not using the camera (powered down!), the battery is completely drained…

A google search brought help: apparently Sony bodies keep the lens partially powered after the camera is powered down to reduce initialization time when the camera is powered back up. The intent is that the lens is supposed to cut power to everything except the microcontroller itself, and keep that only powered enough to wait for an interrupt and not lose RAM contents. Some of the Chinese manufacturers maybe just keep the microcontroller running at full power.

More info: FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF! - FM Forums

Whatever, there are two workarounds, whenever turning the camera off for a while, either (with camera powered down):
- remove the battery and re-insert it
- Unmounting/remounting the adapter (only a fraction of a turn)

That is all you need to cause the adapter to remain depowered until the next time the camera is turned on, preventing the battery drain issue. At least it solved my problem…

Rudy

Last edited by KoenR; 04-20-2022 at 02:48 PM.
04-21-2022, 12:25 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KoenR Quote
Whatever, there are two workarounds, whenever turning the camera off for a while, either (with camera powered down):
- remove the battery and re-insert it
- Unmounting/remounting the adapter (only a fraction of a turn)

That is all you need to cause the adapter to remain depowered until the next time the camera is turned on, preventing the battery drain issue. At least it solved my problem…

Rudy
That sounds like a pain and leaving a lens not fully mounted runs the risk of forgetting and the adapter and lens falling off when you next pick it up.

04-21-2022, 05:30 AM - 2 Likes   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
That sounds like a pain and leaving a lens not fully mounted runs the risk of forgetting and the adapter and lens falling off when you next pick it up.
The suggested solution is to unmount then remount.
04-21-2022, 02:31 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The suggested solution is to unmount then remount.
Not even unmount. Unlock the mount, turn the adapter 30° to the left (facing the camera), wait a few seconds, turn back until the adapter is locked again. That is enough.

Rudy

Last edited by KoenR; 04-23-2022 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Clarification
04-25-2022, 05:48 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Not even unmount. Unlock the mount, turn the adapter 30° to the left (facing the camera), wait a few seconds, turn back until the adapter is locked again. That is enough.

Rudy
The battery drain is certainly present.
But it won't drain the battery from 100% to 0 in a day.

What I do is just swap to a FE lens when not in use.
I won't fret about it if its just going to be in the bag for a day.

04-27-2022, 08:05 AM   #53
arv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just for the record - it doesn't work as a "dumb" adapter. The lens remains wide opened and cannot be stopped down. At least this happens with mine SMC 28mm f3.5 and SMC A 100mm f2.8 (non macro). So, with the manual lenses another adapter is needed.
04-27-2022, 08:30 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arv Quote
Just for the record - it doesn't work as a "dumb" adapter. The lens remains wide opened and cannot be stopped down. At least this happens with mine SMC 28mm f3.5 and SMC A 100mm f2.8 (non macro). So, with the manual lenses another adapter is needed.
That’s what I have seen also.
05-05-2022, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Monster Adapter PK>FE

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
The battery drain is certainly present.
But it won't drain the battery from 100% to 0 in a day.
I must admit: not from 100% to 0% in one night. I had taken about 15 photos and during the following day the battery was suddenly empty. Fact remains that IMHO the adapter drains the battery much quicker than with FE lenses. But it also turned out that "Remote Ctrl" was turned on, active apps are also known to drain the battery.

Meanwhile, I did some testing with the Monster adapter: I left the camera with a fresh battery (100%) after I applied the workaround. Turning the camera on again after 5 days: still 100%.

Until now I have tested the following:
- SMC Pentax-FA* 24mm F2 AL [IF]: AF OK (wow!)
- smc PENTAX-F 28mm F2.8: AF OK
- SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL: AF OK
- smc PENTAX-DA 40mm F2.8 XS: AF OK
- smc PENTAX-D FA Macro 50mm F2.8: AF OK
- SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.4: AF OK (!)
All of the above EXIF including chosen aperture (set with camera) and focal length

- SMC Pentax-FA 24-90mm F3.5-4.5 AL [IF]: NO AF but MF (focus peaking); EXIF including chosen aperture (set with camera) and focal length
- SMC Pentax-F 1.7x AF Adapter + SMC Pentax-A 50mm F2: NO AF but MF (focus peaking); EXIF including chosen aperture (set with camera) ; but focal length NOT transmitted.
- SMC Pentax-F 1.7x AF Adapter + SMC Pentax-M 150mm F3.5: does not work !

To be continued...

Rudy

Last edited by KoenR; 05-05-2022 at 08:54 AM.
05-05-2022, 10:45 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I’m trying a nitecore battery that allows monitoring the battery draw via Bluetooth. I’m having some compatibility issues with my batteries but it’s showing no drain after power off. Different lenses have very different draw btw. Very interesting.
05-06-2022, 05:00 AM   #57
Pentaxian

I must admit: not from 100% to 0% in one night. I had taken about 15 photos and during the following day the battery was suddenly empty. Fact remains that IMHO the adapter drains the battery much quicker than with FE lenses. But it also turned out that "Remote Ctrl" was turned on, active apps are also known to drain the battery.
That's a possible culprit. I'll be doing some comparative tests when I get my adapter.

Meanwhile, I did some testing with the Monster adapter: I left the camera with a fresh battery (100%) after I applied the workaround. Turning the camera on again after 5 days: still 100%.
That's a good safety in any case.
05-16-2022, 12:10 AM - 1 Like   #58
Veteran Member

Seem like FA50 is a hit or miss. Borrow a friend copy and it also doesn't work.
sometimes, the screw drive focus will move and then it stop. And even it does not look focus, it will ping as focus. weird..

rest of the lenses shots.
FA31
SRA00402_filtered

SRA00408_filtered

DFA21
SRA00453_filtered
05-16-2022, 06:27 AM - 4 Likes   #59
Pentaxian

Original Poster
FA*80-200/2.8

Been tied up with this ongoing project called life and just did not find any good opportunity and time to shoot properly.

A portrait session provided me an excellent opportunity to try out and showcase the FA*80-200/2.8 with the adapter.
I was a bit apprehensive on using this as my only lens for the shoot.
Perhaps it would totally screw up, keep hanging, not work with flash or just be too darn slow.

So this would be a perfect real world shooting case for the setup.

First thing to clear... basic functionality.
AF works (very well ).
Power Zoom does not work (or I forgot how to use it .. )

Remember what I said about AF being slow when it changes focus distances?
Well, good to report that in the context of such shooting, its a non-issue.
A typical session would be to pose the model at a spot and try different ideas, poses and shoot quite a bit.
So the focus distance does not really change that much.

Surprisingly, the AF was also normal speed when focusing between focal lengths.

05-16-2022, 08:43 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
So this would be a perfect real world shooting case for the setup.
Good feedback, and nice images! Thanks for sharing.