Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2022, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
So this would be a perfect real world shooting case for the setup.
Thanks for the report. Instructive.

On the artistic side, this first image is magnificent! If I didn't have the second one to refer to, I would assume the out-of-focus area through the doorway was added after the fact. Truly superb.

05-17-2022, 06:11 AM - 2 Likes   #62
Pentaxian

Original Poster

The shoot progressed to a backlit situation, and the lens>adapter>camera worked well without any issues.

I almost forgot the versatility of the FA*80-200 as portrait lens having not used it that much on the K1.
That level of control over framing and subject isolation.

We moved to the final part of the shoot which was a rustic bath scene and I risked using the multi frame shooting mode to capture the shot while the water was poured.
Really happy that there was no issue shooting in that mode. (not in continuous AF though )

Overall, I was super happy with the FA*80-200/2.8 with the adapter.
Perhaps the best lens I have used so far in this review/ report.
No hangs, good AF speed, no big lag in aperture close down, accurate and even shoots in multi frame mode.
Flash sync worked too with a borrowed godox wireless trigger firing in Sony TTL and HSS. (Thanks to Ranchy for that)
05-18-2022, 04:56 AM - 2 Likes   #63
Pentaxian

Again, great pictures.

The plastic water bottle on the first one breaks the rustic mood a bit, I think. But the light, the pose, the composition, everything is excellent!
05-18-2022, 07:22 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Again, great pictures.

The plastic water bottle on the first one breaks the rustic mood a bit, I think. But the light, the pose, the composition, everything is excellent!
Thanks for the kind comments

Yes, that bottle is Thai fish sauce, could have used a more rustic looking clay bottle and left it empty and it works still look better 😂

06-12-2022, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #65
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Another photo session today with the FA*85/1.4

I can't count the number of times I have been apprehensive of using the lens on the K1 at this focus distance at larger apertures, but there is really no hesitation here.
06-19-2022, 05:03 AM   #66
Pentaxian

Original Poster
FA31ltd

Been quite a while since I have done any walkabout shooting.
2yrs to be exact, since I felt little inclination to doing it.

But its really been refreshing to do it again with perhaps the best walk about lens made, the FA31ltd.

2 things from the shooting this.
One, AF isn't quick to AF on the fly, but it goes back to the basics of photography, prefocus and wait for the moment.
So don't let slower AF be a frustration point

2nd point, I have read that the lack of baffling in the adapter makes lenses flare when shooting into the Sun. (apparent in this photo too).
So maybe some DIY baffling will help. (yet to try )

The wide FOV and large aperture on the FA31ltd makes it so ideal to just open up the aperture to isolate a subject when necessary during such walks.
I simply moved the AF point via the joystick to the subject in this case, avoiding any potential inaccuracy of the center focus+recompose method.

Of course, being wide, if I need to cover a wide FOV, the FA31ltd again makes it possible with just stepping back a little.

Overall, AF is ok like the other lenses with a big plus point of better consistency.
I tend to find the K1 AF working funny with the 31ltd in that even if I am static, AF on the same point can yield differing results.
Its more controlled with this setup and using AF point selection makes it even better.
09-18-2022, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #67
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Been a while and keeping as a running review, which is unlike camera review sites which do a review in a short amount of time, too short imho to document many real world situations.

I had the option to use adapter again for a photoshoot.
This time it was an indoor shoot and I took the chance with the adapter with 43ltd and FA*85/1.4.

Shooting indoors poses a few AF challenges.
Namely, the darker environment for the AF, tungsten lighting, backlit situations when posing the model to the window.

For the most of it, the AF performed well.
However, its in the backlit situations that the AF did struggle to find enough contrast to lock.
I ended up missing some shots, but managed to recover from the problem by moving myself, finding a point of higher contrast or filling the frame more so that the system would not be confused by the contrast of the bright window and the darker face of the subject.

Perhaps this would be the biggest flaw I have encountered so far using the adapter, but imho, one should be able to get around it in most cases (unless it was mission critical one shot only situation)

FA*85/1.4 with the monster adapter :

09-18-2022, 05:49 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Been a while and keeping as a running review, which is unlike camera review sites which do a review in a short amount of time, too short imho to document many real world situations.

I had the option to use adapter again for a photoshoot.
This time it was an indoor shoot and I took the chance with the adapter with 43ltd and FA*85/1.4.

Shooting indoors poses a few AF challenges.
Namely, the darker environment for the AF, tungsten lighting, backlit situations when posing the model to the window.

For the most of it, the AF performed well.
However, its in the backlit situations that the AF did struggle to find enough contrast to lock.
I ended up missing some shots, but managed to recover from the problem by moving myself, finding a point of higher contrast or filling the frame more so that the system would not be confused by the contrast of the bright window and the darker face of the subject.

Perhaps this would be the biggest flaw I have encountered so far using the adapter, but imho, one should be able to get around it in most cases (unless it was mission critical one shot only situation)

FA*85/1.4 with the monster adapter :

My understanding is that the adapter is limited to PDAF and so it may not be contrast per say but your point is well taken.

Very nice shot.
09-18-2022, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #69
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My understanding is that the adapter is limited to PDAF and so it may not be contrast per say but your point is well taken.

Very nice shot.
Thanks for the info on the PDAF.
Strange, it seems to behave more like CDAF (it even racks back and forth to try to get AF ).
But whichever it is, this the the 'main flaw' so far for this adapter for me.

Getting the accuracy at f1.4, f2 with these old fast lenses makes the adapter worth it for me.
More of a 'buyer beware' thing, I'd like to let those who are interested know.
09-18-2022, 09:02 AM - 2 Likes   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the info on the PDAF.
Strange, it seems to behave more like CDAF (it even racks back and forth to try to get AF ).
But whichever it is, this the the 'main flaw' so far for this adapter for me.

Getting the accuracy at f1.4, f2 with these old fast lenses makes the adapter worth it for me.
More of a 'buyer beware' thing, I'd like to let those who are interested know.
That’s my understanding. I will look for a reference, but I think you will see that the menu option to select CDAF is disabled if I remember correctly.

It’s a fun tool for me and using the fa 31 is one of the best bits
09-19-2022, 05:22 AM   #71
Pentaxian

camera review sites which do a review in a short amount of time, too short imho to document many real world situations.
Some of use use a lens extensively for a month, to avoid the situations you mention.

Regarding the Monster Adapter (whose review I will collaborate on) I've been using it on and off for many months now.
09-30-2022, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #72

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
We need someone with both a Monster Adapter and a SDM dead 60-250 to be sure, but, it probably would work with the screw drive switch enabled. The 60-250 does support screw drive but for some reason cannot be defaulted internally to screw drive like some of the other SDM lenses. If it does work the Monster Adapter would be a big help to Pentaxians with dead SDM.
Hello. I just got the LA-KE1 adapter. No in-depth use, but I wanted to confirm that with the DA* 60 - 250F4, it works in positions 1 and 2. So if my SDM fails I can still get AF. Not surprising, but reassuring, nonetheless.
09-30-2022, 11:48 AM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is good news/
10-01-2022, 03:53 PM - 2 Likes   #74
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I had wanted to only bring the FA*85 with me for the shoot, but glad that I took along the FA43ltd in case space constraints limited my framing.
Lucky that I did.
Thoroughly sharp and accurate AF with the FA43ltd

10-17-2022, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is definitely not the typical review! I appreciate and admire the long term approach you've taken with this.

For those like me who've been holding out, I just noticed the adapter is on sale right now at B&H and Adorama. Be sure to use the forum's affiliate links if you buy!

Do you buy from Adorama or B&H Photo? (Support PentaxForums!) - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by tncowdaddy; 10-20-2022 at 05:28 AM.