Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 147 Likes Search this Thread
01-03-2023, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #106
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another update: DA* 200 plus f 1.7x did not work. Exif data was crazy like any other incompatible lens on the adapter. 2000+mm f13 wide open. With the hd da 1.4x the lens worked correctly.

01-03-2023, 10:38 PM   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, no joy for me.
I can't seem to update the firmware.
I tried it on my A7RV and my FX3.
It keeps saying unable to do the update.
I tried fresh batteries.
Took the memory cards out.
Tried USB-C and Multi.
No joy.
01-04-2023, 01:02 AM - 1 Like   #108
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KoenR Quote
Has anyone already upgraded the firmware to version 3?
I upgraded immediately.

My FA50/1.4 now works (AFAIK, 3 guys here in Singapore have FA50/1.4 that did not work previously; probably due to our lenses being around the same lineage of FA50/1.4 )

Playing with the adapter and FA50/1.4 and initial impression is that I've very happy with the faster AF (and accuracy )

More photos and shooting to follow....
01-04-2023, 05:56 AM   #109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Well, no joy for me.
I can't seem to update the firmware.
I tried it on my A7RV and my FX3.
It keeps saying unable to do the update.
I tried fresh batteries.
Took the memory cards out.
Tried USB-C and Multi.
No joy.
Did you get the usb mass storage indicator on the camera? Mine sat a long time doing nothing after that. I was pessimistic but I waited and finally it came up with the version info and allowed me to continue.

01-04-2023, 06:23 AM - 3 Likes   #110
Pentaxian

I did the update. The DFA 28-105 feels very fast. I have an a7C, will be borrowing an a9 today and do some quantitative measurements, comparing with the K-1 with a number of lenses.
01-04-2023, 07:21 AM   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Did you get the usb mass storage indicator on the camera? Mine sat a long time doing nothing after that. I was pessimistic but I waited and finally it came up with the version info and allowed me to continue.
I did...and waited a LONG time. Like way longer than when I upgrade a Sony lens. It appears the Monster people are using the same software as Sony uses to upgrade native Sony glass, so not sure how much longer it should take?

Also, not sure if my "Can't continue" message is a "Time-out" or an actual problem.

What Sony body did you use?

In addition to the A7RV and FX3, I have an A6500, A7SII and A7RII.
I could use my husband's ZV-E10 if that matters?

My SII and RII are in the original boxes waiting to be sold, so I don't want to have to go and use them.

Lauren
01-04-2023, 09:02 AM   #112
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I did...and waited a LONG time. Like way longer than when I upgrade a Sony lens. It appears the Monster people are using the same software as Sony uses to upgrade native Sony glass, so not sure how much longer it should take?

Also, not sure if my "Can't continue" message is a "Time-out" or an actual problem.

My SII and RII are in the original boxes waiting to be sold, so I don't want to have to go and use them.

Lauren
A7riii. It took literally minutes before a message appeared with the version, then I could move ahead with the actual install. But I never got a message saying can’t continue.

01-04-2023, 10:23 PM   #113
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Lauren
Mine's an A7iii, update was very smooth and very fast (no long wait and no error message)
Maybe you can try to borrow one?
01-05-2023, 04:41 PM   #114
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven’t gotten the F AFA 1.7x to work with any lens yet. Has anyone else gotten it to work?
01-06-2023, 02:44 AM   #115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lauren
Meanwhile I had the courage to perform the update. I have a A7II with the latest firmware and the update took about a second.

Rudy

---------- Post added 01-06-23 at 04:28 AM ----------

I haven’t gotten the F AFA 1.7x to work with any lens yet. Has anyone else gotten it to work?
I did got it to work. I quickly tested two lenses:
- SMC Pentax-A 50 mm F1:2: works fine (the only A-lens I have)
- Tamron Adaptall 2 SP Macro 90mm F 1:2.8 (72B): more or less works

You do have to prefocus the lens manually until the adapter's AF works. With my A-lens I had to set the manual focus distance on the lens to around 10m, to have a working AF around 2m away.
With the Tamron Adaptall lens (with PK-A adapter) it is more difficult, also due to the small depth of field, you have to turn the manual focus ring until the AF is responding. Actually, focus peaking is easier and more accurate.

Has anyone tried the new firmware on an “A” series lens and the f 1.7x? How does the camera know what focal length the lens is?
It does not know. The adapter is communicating a focal length of 35 mm with the F AFA 1.7x.

More tests will follow.

Rudy

Last edited by KoenR; 01-06-2023 at 05:57 AM.
01-06-2023, 06:24 AM   #116
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Meanwhile I had the courage to perform the update. I have a A7II with the latest firmware and the update took about a second.

Rudy

---------- Post added 01-06-23 at 04:28 AM ----------

I did got it to work. I quickly tested two lenses:
- SMC Pentax-A 50 mm F1:2: works fine (the only A-lens I have)
- Tamron Adaptall 2 SP Macro 90mm F 1:2.8 (72B): more or less works

You do have to prefocus the lens manually until the adapter's AF works. With my A-lens I had to set the manual focus distance on the lens to around 10m, to have a working AF around 2m away.
With the Tamron Adaptall lens (with PK-A adapter) it is more difficult, also due to the small depth of field, you have to turn the manual focus ring until the AF is responding. Actually, focus peaking is easier and more accurate.

It does not know. The adapter is communicating a focal length of 35 mm with the F AFA 1.7x.

More tests will follow.

Rudy
My A 50 f2 didn’t do anything with the AFA 1.7x and reported f13 and reported a focal length greater than 2000mm. This is the same behavior of a lens that isn’t supported prior to this upgraded firmware.
01-06-2023, 06:40 AM   #117
Pentaxian

Yep, with the FA43, FA77, DFA100, DFA28-105. It works quite well, especially in good light.

Same here with an a7C. Took maybe two seconds.
01-06-2023, 03:34 PM   #118
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Yep, with the FA43, FA77, DFA100, DFA28-105. It works quite well, especially in good light.

Same here with an a7C. Took maybe two seconds.
Weird. What body and what settings.
01-09-2023, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #119
Pentaxian

Weird. What body and what settings.
a7C and a9, used in AF-S. Have not tried AF-C so far, I doubt the 1.7X TC is impressive for tracking.
01-09-2023, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, after getting this error on ALL my Sony cameras...

I figured something must be wrong with my PC.
Sure enough, there was a silent blocking of the update application - no pop-up, just a message on the notifications.

Once I gave the update application permission, things went smoothly and immediately.