Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 161 Likes Search this Thread
01-09-2023, 08:38 AM   #121
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
a7C and a9, used in AF-S. Have not tried AF-C so far, I doubt the 1.7X TC is impressive for tracking.
Is there anything special about how you mount it and power on the body? I have tried mounting it with the body off and adding the lens before powering on. That's how I expected it work. If I power it on with just the adapter it shows f1.0 and then when I power off and mount a lens it shows f13 typically although the DA 70 showed as f14 as the max aperture. It's very strange. I have one contact on the top of the 1.7x adapter that looks a little low. I'll post an image later.

01-10-2023, 06:25 AM   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Is there anything special about how you mount it and power on the body?
Nothing special, I didn't take any particular care.

I have tried mounting it with the body off and adding the lens before powering on.
That's what I do I guess. I probably mounted the lens on the TC before mounting those to the adapter and then mounting on camera, that feels logical to me but I can't say I took notes.

If I power it on with just the adapter it shows f1.0 and then when I power off and mount a lens it shows f13 typically although the DA 70 showed as f14 as the max aperture. It's very strange. I have one contact on the top of the 1.7x adapter that looks a little low. I'll post an image later.
Really weird. Your hypothesis about your TC might be worth exploring. I can compare with mine. Is it behaving as it should on a Pentax camera?
01-10-2023, 08:28 AM   #123
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really weird. Your hypothesis about your TC might be worth exploring. I can compare with mine. Is it behaving as it should on a Pentax camera?
It works great on my Pentax gear.

If you are willing I’d like to maybe setup a video call and walk through it. The fact that there were some FA 50 1.4 lenses that didn’t work and had to be accounted for in the new firmware suggests things to my mind. I’ll do some additional testing first.
01-11-2023, 06:05 AM   #124
Pentaxian

It works great on my Pentax gear.

If you are willing I’d like to maybe setup a video call and walk through it. The fact that there were some FA 50 1.4 lenses that didn’t work and had to be accounted for in the new firmware suggests things to my mind. I’ll do some additional testing first.
OK. Maybe we can start with comparative pictures as a first step.

01-11-2023, 07:14 AM   #125
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK. Maybe we can start with comparative pictures as a first step.
Pentax F 1.7x AFA Rear converter by -vanya_42nd-

01-12-2023, 07:50 AM - 2 Likes   #126
Veteran Member

Updated to the latest firmware.

There is a difference in the AF speed. have not really tested all the lenses, but try out the FA31, 77 and HD FA43.

Took it to try some night streets around SG chinatown. Low light focusing was not too bad.. Focus was quite spot on. Was using flexible spot : L, shift the focus off centre, and the focus works well.
FA31

HD FA43

01-15-2023, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #127
Veteran Member

Took the adapter out and testing different settings

With DA 35 F2.4, focus is fast. And i can even use zone or wide area points instead of selection point or centre point. much improvement overall.

SRA00994_filtered

Close up of flowers

SRA00998_filtered

SRA01000_filtered

will share more later on the DFA100WR, it seem to took a step back for me

01-16-2023, 06:57 AM - 4 Likes   #128
Pentaxian

Hi!

Quick bit of info, the Pentaxforums review has been completed, edited and should publish soon. :P I included tons of AF data, as I normally do for a camera body review (AF-S, AF-C, multiple lenses, two Sony bodies and two Pentax bodies, etc).

Keep your eyes open!
01-23-2023, 05:58 AM - 2 Likes   #129
Pentaxian

For the curious ones, the review of the Adapter is now live on the homepage! Thanks for those who helped, either with pictures or in the case of UncleVanya with building the canvas and part of the original content.

Review: LA-KE1 Monster Adapter to use Pentax lenses on Sony E-mount - Review Announcements | PentaxForums.com
01-26-2023, 07:25 AM - 4 Likes   #130
Pentaxian

Original Poster
FA50/1.4

I took the plunge again to use the A7iii with Monster Adapter and the FA50/1.4 as my only AF lens (the other a MF Laowa 12/2.8) to a short cycling trip in Vietnam, to see how far I could get with it as my only lens.
Well... it could potentially screw me over with poor inaccurate AF, slow response or some other issue.

I found great joy shooting with the FA50/1.4 along the streets on Hoi An.
Be it the bustling local markets or the tourist spots of the old town.

Focusing is generally fast, especially with the new firmware update.
Whatever shots I missed, were missed opportunities due to slow realization of the chance to take a shot (which happens with any camera ).

What could be better might be that the shutter response upon button press can be a bit faster.
I seem to find that there is a slight lag.
However, I think that in most cases (As shown in the photos, it was still manageable )

A7306869 by pinholecam02, on Flick

Shooting f1.4 and nailing it certainly shows off what this old 50mm is capable of.
The other thing is that the Pentax FA50/1.4 (as with many Pentax lenses) often strike that perfect balance in size, decent sharpness wide open and very good bokeh in more situations.

Flare can be an issue with the lack of baffling in the adapter.
Perhaps at this point, I think it might be biggest weakness of this adapter now that AF is much faster with the new firmware.
01-27-2023, 06:55 AM   #131
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Perhaps at this point, I think it might be biggest weakness of this adapter now that AF is much faster with the new firmware.
Flare shouldn't be worse than with a mirror box in a DSLR. Using a lens hood will likely have a much bigger impact.
01-27-2023, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #132
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
FA50/1.4

I took the plunge again to use the A7iii with Monster Adapter and the FA50/1.4 as my only AF lens (the other a MF Laowa 12/2.8) to a short cycling trip in Vietnam, to see how far I could get with it as my only lens.
Well... it could potentially screw me over with poor inaccurate AF, slow response or some other issue.

I found great joy shooting with the FA50/1.4 along the streets on Hoi An.
Be it the bustling local markets or the tourist spots of the old town.

Focusing is generally fast, especially with the new firmware update.
Whatever shots I missed, were missed opportunities due to slow realization of the chance to take a shot (which happens with any camera ).

What could be better might be that the shutter response upon button press can be a bit faster.
I seem to find that there is a slight lag.
However, I think that in most cases (As shown in the photos, it was still manageable )

A7306869 by pinholecam02, on Flick

Shooting f1.4 and nailing it certainly shows off what this old 50mm is capable of.
The other thing is that the Pentax FA50/1.4 (as with many Pentax lenses) often strike that perfect balance in size, decent sharpness wide open and very good bokeh in more situations.

Some great photos there, especially the first and last.
01-27-2023, 08:37 PM   #133
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Some great photos there, especially the first and last.
Thanks.
Eye and mind opener for me.
Glad I made the trip.
Did not realize that the culture has so many similarities to the Chinese one, down to the religion, celebration of Lunar New Year and even some words sound the same (or sound the same as some of the southern Chinese dialects).
There was so many photo opportunities just cycling around the town, finding markets or the more touristy spots.

Last edited by pinholecam; 01-27-2023 at 08:43 PM.
01-28-2023, 07:22 PM   #134
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The fa 50/1.4 did a fine job for you indeed. Stopping the aperture down can slow things a bit on all lenses.
02-14-2023, 02:56 PM   #135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dumb question... I've got the adapter on my RV and I notice in some side light situations with the adapter it can cause fog/flare horizontally across the frame, or is that just me? It is reflecting off the internal surfaces of the adapter or something. It doesn't do it natively on the lenses in question, just on the RV with the Monster. (So far has happened with the FA50 1.4 and FA77 LTD)
Thanks,
Eric