Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2023, 08:26 AM   #151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Your tests indicate there's no problem with the adapter. If light leaked, it would always leak (and you would have seen it with your flashlight test).

The lenses are causing the flare.

Did you pull the hood on the FA77?

The FA50 is known to be pretty sensitive to flare, which is why some people preferred the F50 F1.7 because its front element is recessed. Otherwise, a hood for the FA50 would do marvels.
Correct, no light leaks in the Monster adapter, it is well made.

Correct, it seems the FA50 1.4 and FA77 LTD are prone to a bit more flare than I had previously recognized, I think I instinctively avoided it.

Yes, I pulled out the hood on the FA77, and I use a rubber plunger collapsible on the FA50 1.4 . I have a rectangular black metal hood that is flocked, and it does work better on the FA50 1.4, I just can't lay my hands on it at the moment.

So I would agree 99.99999% of your statement. It's hard to quantify without laboratory equipment, but if I had to make an educated guess based on what I've seen so far... I would say the adapter or the sensor shine like Uncle Vanya mentions, "might" amplify the flare issues these lenses already have by small amount.

I say this because I've had that light tent for years, and used the same soft boxes with it for years, with the K1 and my Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 were my go to lenses (sold the Tammy) so using the FA 50 1.4 in the light box may have been rare, but I did use it occasionally and I don't remember so much flare as I do now that I am forced to use it to list stuff in the marketplace... so it was a surprise for me.(my cell phone doesn't do it with the same scene in the light tent, crazy, right?) Otherwise the FA50 1.4 and FA77 got used mostly for portraiture, either with strobes or available light, and front lit situations. I guess I just never pushed them that way before with harsh back and side light.

My dilemma now is, do I keep a $400 dollar adapter or do I keep my K-1 or do I dump both and further invest in native glass? I know this is a Pentax forum and what the emotional answer is, and trust me, I feel it too.

In reality, we are just talking a few A/F primes. I can get a cheap M/F adapter for my old K non-AF glass.

The A/F lenses that I had initially planned to keep are:
FA50 1.4 because it's not bringing lots of money, and would be expensive to replace with something a whole lot better
FA31 LTD... because it is pretty awesome.
FA77 LTD... because it is small and has awesome character.
FA*85 1.4 ... was on the fence with this one and tossing a coin between it and the FA77... but if I want a big sharp 85mm, there are plenty in the Sony universe, so its probably going to go.

So, I'm beginning to ask myself, it worth the pain of the adapter's slightly slower focus and carrying it as an intermediary device to keep just 3 lenses going that I'm a little emotionally attached to???

This is definitely going to end up being an internal fight for me, between a logical and emotional response. Having a short time to decide isn't helping,

I'm just trying to be completely honest here and save anyone else the pain in future. If I had it to do over, I can't help second guessing if I should have been more patient waiting on the K1-III, but that ship has sailed, and I'm committed to moving forward now. I really DO enjoy the A7RV and the 200-600mm G OSS lens combo... and that would be too hard to give up now that I've had a taste.

Decisions decisions...
Eric

02-17-2023, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #152
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
The A/F lenses that I had initially planned to keep are:
FA50 1.4 because it's not bringing lots of money, and would be expensive to replace with something a whole lot better
FA31 LTD... because it is pretty awesome.
FA77 LTD... because it is small and has awesome character.
FA*85 1.4 ... was on the fence with this one and tossing a coin between it and the FA77... but if I want a big sharp 85mm, there are plenty in the Sony universe, so its probably going to go.
I agree with your analysis.

The 50+adapter is similar to the price you'd pay for a 50 in Sony land.

The 31 and 77 have no true equivalent in terms of size of rendering.

The 85 can probably go, there are good alternatives if you really cannot live with the 77.

The AF speed with the firmware v3 is pretty darn impressive, have you looked at the review here?

I'm also using both systems, in vastly different situations (I got the Sony a7C to have a compact FF travel kit and it has served me well for this). Sony glass is touted by its users as the best thing ever, but my own experience and in-depth tests indicate this isn't always so. Good glass like the FA Limited remains good even on that system. Don't get me wrong, Sony glass is good enough, just not above others.
02-17-2023, 02:27 PM   #153
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with your analysis.

The 50+adapter is similar to the price you'd pay for a 50 in Sony land.

Exactly! I would have to go with a much bigger and heavier 50mm to beat it... the inexpensive Samyang 50mm AF II isn't bad though, and I could live with the rendering, but I think I'd enjoy Sony's Zeiss Sonar T 55mm better... but at twice the price for a 50mm... meh...

The 31 and 77 have no true equivalent in terms of size of rendering.

Yup, but a 28mm and a 75mm or 85mm would do, I'm not hung up on matching focal length or even the exact F stop, those really aren't biggies within half a stop one way or the other. It's the rendering I'd miss most. Pixie dust. Pop. Whatever you want to call it... and those colors.

The AF speed with the firmware v3 is pretty darn impressive, have you looked at the review here?

I'm embarrassed to admit, I just read it this morning. You had alluded to finishing it in an earlier post, but didn't realize that was an older post and it was already done. I don't look at the PF home page much, my bookmark is to the forum list. LOL! But yes, and I thought it was very well done and covered pretty much everything except my issue, which turned out not to be an adapter issue anyway. I did the FW update the minute I took it out of the box, so I can't compare to how it would have acted before the FW update. For me, I found the A/F adequate, but I did notice it didn't focus as well as my K-1 in lower light. It needs light, and then the A/F gets nice and snappy. The delay in shutter release is a little noticeable to me, but wouldn't matter on static scene's, only moving targets I guess. I don't know if my RV is G2 compatible yet or not (I think your chart showed a 1 in the RV column), maybe I'm not getting that particular advantage until the next FW release?

I'm also using both systems, in vastly different situations (I got the Sony a7C to have a compact FF travel kit and it has served me well for this). Sony glass is touted by its users as the best thing ever, but my own experience and in-depth tests indicate this isn't always so. Good glass like the FA Limited remains good even on that system. Don't get me wrong, Sony glass is good enough, just not above others.
Yes, that is what I am learning also... I am finding that not many, but at least some of the early Sony FE mirrorless full frame glass isn't as good as some 3rd party even. At least not until the more recent GM II releases for some, which Sony must have put their back into to make the kind of gains they did... but they also charge an arm and several legs for those. So, you really have to do your research.

For what I want to do, the lenses are out there (a mix of new, refurbed, used and 3rd party options in order for me to stay in budget, but do-able) and they are quite good... and they would have to be, to stand up to the 61mp sensor. The question for me today being D-Day (Last day to put in the return request is Monday) is, am I keeping the Monster... and everything else that returning it would imply.
02-17-2023, 03:34 PM - 2 Likes   #154
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My own situation is slightly different. I own the adapter and about 30 Pentax lenses - a lot of which are compatible but not all. A large number of my lenses are “faux” full frame. Meaning they are apsc lenses with a bit of coverage outside that area and can pinch hit for ff lenses. Many work really well in this mode. I’m also only rocking the 42mp sensor not the 61mp one.

Perhaps most importantly- I am a tinkerer. I like fitting strange lenses on my Sony. However, I don’t like manual focus much given my current eyesight.

Looking at my compatible lenses I see these that are unusual for e-mount and mostly ff if not fully so:

FA 31 f1.8 Ltd (not much outside 35 and 24mm with autofocus and good image quality available)
FA 77 f1.8 Ltd (Samyang 75/1.8 and Sigma 65/2 are the only short portrait lenses in e mount of any note close. )
FA* 300 f4.5 ( no prime available in e Mount. F2.8 prime in A mount)
DA* 60-250/4 (70-200/4 is a dog in Sony brand. 70-300’s are f4.5-5.6 or slower. But weight vs results it’s hard to go with over the Tamron 70-300. Focus breathing bites as well in some scenarios)
DA* 200 f2.8 (no 200mm primes, but image quality on the 70-200 options is quite good. Newer GM II drives down weight as does the 70-180 Tamron. )
DA 70 (hd) f2.4 (see 77 comments)
DA 40 f2.8 (Sony has an f2.5 G lens that seems on par)

In the less unusual category:
FA 50 f1.4 (many alternatives available including Sony A Mount lens)
DA* 55 f1.4 (see above, ZA 55/1.8 is a possible alternative)
DA 35 f2.4 (Samyang f2.8 is light and small as alternative)
D FA 100 WR Macro f2.8 (tokina Firin is very close, Sony FE 90 or many 3rd party options including 70mm alternatives exist. )

In the APSC category:
DA* 11-18 f2.8 (can work at 18mm FF) (this lens has many alternatives that are lighter and smaller)
DA 21 f3.2
DA 15 f4
DA 35 macro f2.8 (some ff coverage)
DA 20-40 Ltd (some ff coverage)
DA* 16-50 sdm f2.8
DA* 50-135 sdm f2.8

Accessories:
DA 1.4x - which unlike in e Mount isn’t limited to a very small number of lenses.

F AFA 1.7x - although mine fails to work on my adapter for unknown reasons.

In native e Mount I own:
FE 28/2 plus the wide and fisheye adapters (21/2.8, 16/3.5)
FE 85/1.8 G
FE 28-70 f3.5-5.6
ZA 24-70/4
FE 24-105 G
FE 70-200 GM
FE 1.4x ( only works with the GM above)
Tamron 70-300 RXD

In my case the zooms are largely Sony native and the primes I have are mostly Pentax.

For me the cost of switching is emotional and hits the wallet hard. Having the option to use my existing lenses for variety is great!

02-18-2023, 06:45 PM - 3 Likes   #155
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Great pics as usual, Pinholecam, what a great photographer you are!

But with this thing, why would there be a lag in the shutter?
Thanks.
I'm really just a pinhole cam in terms of being a photographer.
ie. Endeavoring to do the best that I can with my basics rather than always thinking that the gear I use is too lowly for me.

I would think firmware (of the adapter), so a timing process. (so good that you brought it up and I should sound this out the Monster Adapter on their FB page)
There will bound to be some lag since the camera needs to know :
1. AF button pressed (with associated AF logics and preconditions like release when AF lock = disabled; AF = locked / or no; etc)
2. AF motor stop (or moving when AFC, face lock, etc)
3. Read aperture size and close aperture and then shutter.
etc..

To be "safe" from timing screw ups, its always easier to add delay times between states (eg. shutter release after aperture closed from 1ms to 10ms for example )
Eg. People can live with slow shutter release, but imagine the uproar with aperture always out of sync when taking a photo.

---------- Post added 02-19-2023 at 09:49 AM ----------

I'm just trying to be completely honest here and save anyone else the pain in future. If I had it to do over, I can't help second guessing if I should have been more patient waiting on the K1-III, but that ship has sailed, and I'm committed to moving forward now. I really DO enjoy the A7RV and the 200-600mm G OSS lens combo... and that would be too hard to give up now that I've had a taste.

Decisions decisions...
Eric
I think its the time you just take the (not that cheap ) thing you bought and go out to relax and take photos.

Don't overthink it.
There won't be a perfect camera and even with a K1III, I shudder to think what the price it will be at given camera prices nowadays. (I'd still probably buy one, but really needing to gulp down the expense)

I have therefore never bothered with analysis paralysis and just take the gears out for practical shooting which to me is the best real world review.

Just did a paid event 2 weeks back with the AF adapter FA35/2 and with strobes. Even for that, an the low light indoors (and kids), the combo did reasonably.

Last edited by pinholecam; 02-18-2023 at 06:51 PM.
02-19-2023, 04:46 PM   #156
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I would think firmware (of the adapter), so a timing process. (so good that you brought it up and I should sound this out the Monster Adapter on their FB page)
There will bound to be some lag since the camera needs to know :
1. AF button pressed (with associated AF logics and preconditions like release when AF lock = disabled; AF = locked / or no; etc)
2. AF motor stop (or moving when AFC, face lock, etc)
3. Read aperture size and close aperture and then shutter.
etc..
Thanks, so compared to the original Pentax body, it struggles to do all that and there's lag in shooting?

I guess so.
02-19-2023, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #157
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, so compared to the original Pentax body, it struggles to do all that and there's lag in shooting?

I guess so.
No, perhaps I over complicated the explanation which just shows that the adapter FW needs to be written and tweaked to get to even where it is now. 😃

The adapter works well in most cases. Just a bit of shutter lag with the 50/1.4 (but.... I also just realized that during my trip, I had changed shutter release priority to focus instead of release, so it might be partly the reason too, as I did not experience this as much prior to this setting change)

02-20-2023, 06:24 AM - 2 Likes   #158
Pentaxian

The question for me today being D-Day (Last day to put in the return request is Monday) is, am I keeping the Monster... and everything else that returning it would imply.
Your appreciation of the FA 31 and 77 alone warrant keeping the Adapter, IMHO.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
70-180 Tamron
That lens is, so far, my favourite lens on E-mount. I haven't tested everything, but I'm down to 21 lenses tested so far, a 22nd on the way

For me the cost of switching is emotional and hits the wallet hard. Having the option to use my existing lenses for variety is great!
The Adapter is great for just that situation. Decreases the cost of maintaining 2 systems, and lets you enjoy your favourite lenses regardless of the body.

so compared to the original Pentax body, it struggles to do all that and there's lag in shooting?
No, that's stretching it. The description of all the steps show that a lot is going on, but it's done at electronic speeds, as you'd expect. There's the subtlest of delays when pressing the shutter, but less so than, for instance, when you fire a flash with a K-3. I almost never notice it. It doesn't prevent my a7C from shooting at 10 fps
02-20-2023, 03:25 PM   #159
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There's the subtlest of delays when pressing the shutter, but less so than, for instance, when you fire a flash with a K-3. I almost never notice it. It doesn't prevent my a7C from shooting at 10 fps
Right, my Novoflex adapter is manual aperture so of course there's no delay due to circuitry.

I do have a Techart adapter for my Canon lenses but it's pretty slow to do anything.
03-06-2023, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #160
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The FA 50/1.4 is on the list of supported lenses. That’s surprising. Was there anything odd about the lens or how it failed?

The F* 300/4.5 isn’t listed for firmware v2 and not very surprising based on what the founder has revealed about how the adapter works. Each lens must have a profile in the adapter - if it isn’t listed it isn’t likely to work.

TBA-?

Thanks for the tips and info. I wonder if quickshift will be useful to overcome the slow focusing when going from one extreme to the other. I don’t think any of your tested lenses are quickshift compatible.

I have one on order and plan to test mine with a few lenses myself…

In the wings… by -vanya_42nd-
So far so good on an A7r V. Using my full frame Pentax lenses 21mm, FA-50 f1.4, 28-105, 100 macro, and 150-450. Only real issue is no focus bracketing with this adapter mounted - not unique to this adapter. Sometimes I have a little focus hunting in dim light, but easily corrected.
03-06-2023, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #161
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
So far so good on an A7r V. Using my full frame Pentax lenses 21mm, FA-50 f1.4, 28-105, 100 macro, and 150-450. Only real issue is no focus bracketing with this adapter mounted - not unique to this adapter. Sometimes I have a little focus hunting in dim light, but easily corrected.
The new firmware v03 for the adapter has improved my experience. The main issue I have is that the F 1.7AFA doesn’t work at all on mine. The DA* 200 is also difficult to use in SDM mode but pretty good in screwdrive mode.
03-06-2023, 09:13 AM   #162
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The new firmware v03 for the adapter has improved my experience. The main issue I have is that the F 1.7AFA doesn’t work at all on mine. The DA* 200 is also difficult to use in SDM mode but pretty good in screwdrive mode.
Mine arrived last week with v03 already installed. I sent them an email about focus bracketing, no response yet. I wonder how much info they have from Sony on the mount electronics and if it even possible.
06-03-2023, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #163
Pentaxian

Original Poster
F135/2.8 and some action

Being a really short 2D1N trip that was hastily arranged, I did not want to get too bogged down with camera gear, so I took the FA35/2 and F135/2.8 with me.
The 135mm would work decently as a short tele for some triathlon shots that I would do.
The thing was.... would be the adapter combo actually work.

AF was set to AF-C with focus release priority and slow multi frame shooting.

I really wanted to relax more, so I skipped the adult events and only did some coverage for my kids who were participating.

I think it worked decently as to be able to give me some photos and not resort to pre-focusing which I'd use more on the K1.
Since AF-C and related settings is not what I am accustomed to, perhaps it can get better with playing with the settings more, but overall, I think its ok for use.
06-06-2023, 01:47 AM   #164
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
F135/2.8 and some action

Being a really short 2D1N trip that was hastily arranged, I did not want to get too bogged down with camera gear, so I took the FA35/2 and F135/2.8 with me.
The 135mm would work decently as a short tele for some triathlon shots that I would do.
The thing was.... would be the adapter combo actually work.

AF was set to AF-C with focus release priority and slow multi frame shooting.

I really wanted to relax more, so I skipped the adult events and only did some coverage for my kids who were participating.

I think it worked decently as to be able to give me some photos and not resort to pre-focusing which I'd use more on the K1.
Since AF-C and related settings is not what I am accustomed to, perhaps it can get better with playing with the settings more, but overall, I think its ok for use.
They look to me like good results.
06-20-2023, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #165
Pentaxian

A new update has been released, which improves AF-C and adds a few lenses.

LA-KE1 firmware v04 released, fixed AF-C tracking issue and more lense ? MonsterAdapter