Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2022, 06:15 PM - 11 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Monster Adapter PK>FE Review

Monster Adapter PK>FE Review

Monster Adapter, some AF lenses and a "thou shall not be named" camera.

Well I thought about it for quite a while when the price of the adapter was released.
USD439 is not that small an amount for some unknown maker with unknown quality and motor.
What about future FW updates? What about AF speed? etc
So many doubts to spend $439 on.

Counter points that I ran thru my mind :
1. Monster Adapter has been making adapters for other brands for a while, and they have kept updating FW for those - so likely it will be so for the Pentax version adapter
2. Warranty - ok.. maybe dicey
3. AF speed - I mainly need accuracy for fast lenses more than very fast AF, so still ok for my needs if its slow (maybe 6yrs ago CDAF slow )
4. Price - I spent about the same for the AFA 1.7x adapter which sits in the cabinet for years on end. It allows me to perhaps get reliable AF accuracy and most cheap lenses cost around this anyway, so spending $439 potentially opens up 10 lenses be used.

Main reason to try
I do have 11 (maybe a bit more) Pentax AF lenses.
However, when I switched to K1, some of them just did not focus accurately enough when there was no issues with them on K5, K30 (some were ok on my brother's K1 ).
My FA135/2.8 for example was always off until f4.
(All AF adjusted numerous times on K1 over the years, so ... lets not get into this. Please keep the discussion here on the adapter rather than arguing on all this, which can be done elsewhere. )
Maybe its the tolerances of a 30yr lens on a 5yr old camera.. anyway...

---------- Post added 03-07-2022 at 09:21 AM ----------

General size of the camera with adapter wrt the lenses

Build and general info
1. Box it comes in isn't the best, a bit soft, but things are packed well and of course padded with foam.
2. In the box are the manual (short pamphlet), warranty (1yr), paper list of FW ver and list of usable lenses (Ver2.0 in my case)
3. Adapter is light, finish looks good and still feels sold. (no hint of shoddy 1 man operation here )
4. Lenses attach on well though on the tight side.
5. No issues with attaching to the camera side as well.

On the camera.
1. Basically plug and play
2. Does not feel nor look obtrusive - in fact, I think the Pentax adapter is the best looking of the bunch that Monster Adapter has made (just look at the ugly Nikon one .. )
3. EXIF data is reported
4. Aperture control works
5. Eye and Face detection works
6. AF-S and AF-C works
7. Zone and AF point selection works

---------- Post added 03-07-2022 at 09:30 AM ----------

List of my lenses that worked ( I will give details and updates to this list as I actually use them over the course of a few months )

1. FA*85/1.4 - Ok
2. FA135/2.8 - Ok
3. F100/2.8 macro - Ok
4. FA31ltd - Ok
5. FA43ltd - Ok
6. FA77ltd - Ok
8. FA50/1.4 - Does not work
9. FA35/2 - TBA
10. F*300/4 - Does not work
11. FA*80-200/2.8 - Ok
12. DA15 - TBA

---------- Post added 03-07-2022 at 09:49 AM ----------

FA*85
The attraction of the adapter with this lens.
1. A bit smaller overall size/weight.
2. Convenience of eye tracking and the accuracy w/o too much lag between f1.4-f2

Took the children to the park to give it some practical use.

My expensive paid model is always impatient and throws tantrums

Consistency for full body focus distance at wide apertures is one of the advantages with the adapter

Performance with FA*85/1.4
1. AF works this way - large change in focus distance =slow ; Within the range of focus distance = quite fast;
So if you shoot a close up, then want to shoot some birds in the distance, the AF is slow to spin up to the large change in focus throw.
If its head shoulders shots to full body shots, then its relatively fast.
Maybe K100D, K10 level of speed as I find that the motor isn't that strong (and does not 'whirl' )

2. It hung a couple of times during the session, but it was really no big deal to just switch off/on.
I did not get a feeling that I lost much practically speaking, but someone shooting Kim Kardashian for a glamour mag might tear their hair off.

3. The convenience of eye/face/AF-C is great, especially at larger apertures

Happy with how it works for this lens. I think further work can/should be done for the AF speed between near-far as well as the hanging, but I think the convenience + accuracy benefits overweigh the cons. (for me)

Last edited by pinholecam; 03-06-2022 at 07:01 PM.
03-06-2022, 09:52 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
[

1. FA*85/1.4 - Ok
2. FA135/2.8 - Ok
3. F100/2.8 macro - Ok
4. FA31ltd - Ok
5. FA43ltd - Ok
6. FA77ltd - Ok
8. FA50/1.4 - Does not work
9. FA35/2 - TBA
10. F*300/4 - Does not work
11. FA*80-200/2.8 - Ok
12. DA15 - TBA
The FA 50/1.4 is on the list of supported lenses. That’s surprising. Was there anything odd about the lens or how it failed?

The F* 300/4.5 isn’t listed for firmware v2 and not very surprising based on what the founder has revealed about how the adapter works. Each lens must have a profile in the adapter - if it isn’t listed it isn’t likely to work.

TBA-?

Thanks for the tips and info. I wonder if quickshift will be useful to overcome the slow focusing when going from one extreme to the other. I don’t think any of your tested lenses are quickshift compatible.

I have one on order and plan to test mine with a few lenses myself…

In the wings… by -vanya_42nd-
03-06-2022, 10:13 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The FA 50/1.4 is on the list of supported lenses. That’s surprising. Was there anything odd about the lens or how it failed?

The F* 300/4.5 isn’t listed for firmware v2 and not very surprising based on what the founder has revealed about how the adapter works. Each lens must have a profile in the adapter - if it isn’t listed it isn’t likely to work.

TBA-?

Thanks for the tips and info. I wonder if quickshift will be useful to overcome the slow focusing when going from one extreme to the other. I don’t think any of your tested lenses are quickshift compatible.

I have one on order and plan to test mine with a few lenses myself…

In the wings… by -vanya_42nd-
Yeah. FA50/1.4 is supposed to be supported.
It moves the focus, but then stops and offers no further AF response.
DFA*50/1.4 works with native lens motor AF (which is darn silent) - Ranchy who is also on this forum will probably chime in this since it was his lens.

Too bad about the F*300, I really like this lens for people shots.

TBA (to be advised) is just that the lenses are currently not with me and I will update when I get them back to try

I don't have quickshift lenses and don't dare to turn the lenses against the adapter motors's wishes anyway

Do feel free to update on your findings here when you get the adapter.
03-12-2022, 07:29 AM - 4 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So I was able to get a copy of the adapter. The copy I have was “used” but procured directly from the founder. I had some successes and some issues however my testing is rather preliminary and I’m working on a more detailed review - but I need to source a brand new adapter for the review to be certain of my findings and conclusions.

I will share that my FA 50/1.4 worked as well as any other screwdrive compatible lens. This leaves me wondering if the contacts might be slightly recessed or dirty on your copy.

Here’s a teaser image of HMFWIC a squirrel with an nsfw name (My dad named him).

Shot using the FA* 300

300mm testing by -vanya_42nd-

03-14-2022, 05:42 PM - 4 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So I was able to get a copy of the adapter. The copy I have was “used” but procured directly from the founder. I had some successes and some issues however my testing is rather preliminary and I’m working on a more detailed review - but I need to source a brand new adapter for the review to be certain of my findings and conclusions.

I will share that my FA 50/1.4 worked as well as any other screwdrive compatible lens. This leaves me wondering if the contacts might be slightly recessed or dirty on your copy.

Here’s a teaser image of HMFWIC a squirrel with an nsfw name (My dad named him).

Shot using the FA* 300

300mm testing by -vanya_42nd-

Thanks for the information on your FA50/1.4. I have another friend who also has issues with his adapter and this lens. But I will go back and see if a clean up of the contacts will help and check if they are recessed too.

Its good to see more people adding in their experiences on this page.
We should be able to form a decent pool of information on this adapter here this way.

---------- Post added 03-15-2022 at 08:52 AM ----------

F100/2.8 macro

A visit to the Zoo proved to be an excellent opportunity to try out the F100/2.8 macro.
I've visited it enough times to not really bother with the large animals, so it was more of a casual walk without need to bring big lenses.
The macro option is always nice to take photos of the smaller stuff

The F100/2.8 macro is not a light nor small lens.
Size wise mounted on the adapter+camera, its not small and mostly lens.
Still, its not really ungainly and the camera does have a deep grip, so handling is totally good.

---------- Post added 03-15-2022 at 09:05 AM ----------

AF at f2.8

To be honest, I had low expectations with the AF performance of this lens with the adapter.
"Its sure to have problems finding focus, racking focus near, far" was my thoughts.

Rather dim, but contrasty lighting proved to be ok for the AF

Amazingly, I found AF to be rather good and the AF algorithm decently smart enough to rack back and forth to find the subject, much like on my K1.
Be it near small objects like frogs to far ones like birds, AF worked surprisingly well.

There are also benefits of a flexible AF point selection via the joystick.
I am mostly using AF-S (flexible spot), but will certainly explore the other AF options more eventually to see which is the best.

There wasn't much hanging as compared to the FA*85, but it could also be my type of usage in this situation.
Perhaps more use over time will confirm this.

Overall, this has been a very satisfying lens to use with the Monster Adapter.
I was pleasantly surprised that it almost 'worked right out of the box' for this one.

Last edited by pinholecam; 03-14-2022 at 06:07 PM.
03-17-2022, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks for starting the thread.. i have not really test fully.

Currently what I have tried:
DFA21 - focus is fast
FA24 - focus is fast
FA31 - focus is fast
DAL35 F2.4 - focus is fast
FA77
FA85
DFA50 F1.4
FA*200 F2.8

Borrowed the lens from friend to test:
HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW
FA135 F2.8
DA 50mm F1.8 lens - focus is fast
DA 70mm F2.4 - focus is fast
DFA100WR - updating it: Setting it to AFS, and centre only focus is much smoother, although due to the long throw, speed wise, K1 is much better.

Adatper not in list but it will focus but it will show the focal length of the lens attached.
HD Pentax-DA AF Rear Converter 1.4x AW - tested together with HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW

Which did not work
FA50 F1.4 - issues with focusing with the lens. sometime it will move abit and it will stop or zero response from it. and based on the EXIF, it does not detect lens.

On the sony camera, it will detect the focal length and it will show in the EXIF. For the FA50 F1.4, it seem it cant detect it.

oh well just share some pictures of the adapter instead
There is a switch in it. For 1, it should be using the screw drive and 2, it is for the inbuilt motor of the lens.

MAK11870_filtered_4R

Putting together with the DFA50
MAK11872_filtered_4R

The AF/MF is close the bottom of the adapter.
MAK11873_filtered_4R

Last edited by ranchy; 03-19-2022 at 12:07 AM. Reason: updating of list of lenses
03-17-2022, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Interesting thread. I hope to be able to do a quantitative review soon, comparing AF speeds and the like.

03-17-2022, 06:03 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You do not need to put the switch in a particular position for lenses that area screw drive. This position only seems to affect lenses that are sdm/hsm etc.
03-17-2022, 07:12 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Interesting thread. I hope to be able to do a quantitative review soon, comparing AF speeds and the like.
I find it hard to put AF speed in writing.
A video comparison might work, but I leave that to others who can do that better.

Its also a bit hard to quantify the AF in some ways.
It is very dependent on lens, delta between current lens focus distance and intended new focus distance, shutter lag (seems lens dependent or setting dependent can't nail it down yet).

So at the moment, I can only give my impressions based on the type of photography I do and a "Does it frustrate me or cause me to loose photos? " type of user impressions.

---------- Post added 03-18-2022 at 10:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ranchy Quote
Thanks for starting the thread.. i have not really test fully.

Currently what I have tried:
DFA21
FA31
FA77
DFA50 F1.4
FA*200 F2.8

Which did not work
FA50 F1.4 - issues with focusing with the lens. sometime it will move abit and it will stop or zero response from it.

DFA100WR - felt quite abit of hunting. will test more again.

oh well just share some pictures of the adapter instead
There is a switch in it. For 1, it should be using the screw drive and 2, it is for the inbuilt motor of the lens.

MAK11870_filtered_4R

Putting together with the DFA50
MAK11872_filtered_4R

The AF/MF is close the bottom of the adapter.
MAK11873_filtered_4R

You need more lenses to test.
Pls buy more lenses...

Certainly eager to see what you find for those DFA lenses w/ the adapter.
03-17-2022, 08:17 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting that two people have had problems with the fa 50. I need to do more testing with mine. It seems fine… but maybe my testing is weak.
03-18-2022, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

A video comparison might work, but I leave that to others who can do that better.

It is very dependent on lens, delta between current lens focus distance and intended new focus distance, shutter lag (seems lens dependent or setting dependent can't nail it down yet).

So at the moment, I can only give my impressions based on the type of photography I do and a "Does it frustrate me or cause me to loose photos? " type of user impressions.
Your report is fine!

Having done most of the Pentaxforums lens reviews in recent years, I have more data points, and a robust methodology
03-18-2022, 11:47 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

You do not need to put the switch in a particular position for lenses that area screw drive. This position only seems to affect lenses that are sdm/hsm etc.
i think so.. was trying between both switch, does seem any effect on Screw drive lenses.
For the DFA50, also no issues.

---------- Post added 03-19-2022 at 02:51 PM ----------

---------- Post added 03-18-2022 at 10:14 AM ----------

You need more lenses to test.
Pls buy more lenses...

Certainly eager to see what you find for those DFA lenses w/ the adapter.
erm can't afford more lenses. ... anyway, I got DFA21 and DFA50.

I think the focus is about the same as with the K1 for the DFA50 F1.4 and super silent. DFA21, focus is fast. Think wide angle lens seem to work much more better.
but i was hoping to get to use with AFC more, but i don't think it really work. So AFS , Centre, or point select will be the best. if not, zone or wide area points select also work , but it will depend on how it get the contrast or point of focus.
Screw drive lens don't seem to work that well with Zone or wide area points select.
03-19-2022, 01:47 AM - 3 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

Some photos from the testing:

1. FA*200 F2.8 - Focus is usable, i won't say it to be fast. The motor on the K1 is much faster.
Sharpness at wide open is usable, i won't say it to be sharp.

at far distance:
SRA00341_filtered

Closer range
SRA00342_filtered

2. DA50mm F1.8 - focus is fast.. similarly, it seem sharpness seem okay wide open.
SRA00365_filtered

I uploaded the full size. so it is the A7RIII 42mp which is slightly more than the K1 36mp.
03-19-2022, 05:42 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ranchy Quote
Some photos from the testing:

1. FA*200 F2.8 - Focus is usable, i won't say it to be fast. The motor on the K1 is much faster.
Sharpness at wide open is usable, i won't say it to be sharp.

at far distance:
SRA00341_filtered

Closer range
SRA00342_filtered

2. DA50mm F1.8 - focus is fast.. similarly, it seem sharpness seem okay wide open.
SRA00365_filtered

I uploaded the full size. so it is the A7RIII 42mp which is slightly more than the K1 36mp.
Do you feel the optics aren’t sharp enough for the a7riii or the focus isn’t accurate enough on these? How well do these lenses do on a manual adapter?
03-19-2022, 10:37 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Looks like overall it works well.