Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-07-2022, 08:27 PM   #1

PENTAX-D FA* 85mm f/1.4 with K-3 II

Has anyone used the FA* 85mm f/1.4 with a K-3 II body? Do they play well together?

I apologize if this has been asked before--I spent about 10 minutes to trying to find if some had, but found nothing.

Thanks,
A.D.

03-07-2022, 10:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ariddle Quote
Has anyone used the FA* 85mm f/1.4 with a K-3 II body? Do they play well together?

I apologize if this has been asked before--I spent about 10 minutes to trying to find if some had, but found nothing.

Thanks,
A.D.
I have FA* 85/1.4. Used it with K-5II, K-5, K-30, K200D, K-1, now I have K-3 as well. All these and other Pentax DSLRs that have screw drive motor, are compatible. Do they "play" together is quite abstract question.
Full frame glass is better for full frame sensors because APS-C sensor crops half of the image of FF sensor
03-07-2022, 11:12 PM - 1 Like   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
Full frame glass is better for full frame sensors because APS-C sensor crops half of the image of FF sensor
I tend to look at this slightly differently. Full-frame sensors utilise more of the image circle from full-frame glass - but APS-C cameras utilise what is typically the best-performing area of that. Yes, they discard a significant part of the image circle, but the part they capture is typically quite sharp edge-to-edge, with relatively minor effects from vignetting...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-08-2022 at 02:23 PM.
03-08-2022, 01:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

BTW, I just noted that OP asked first about DFA* 85/1.4 but not FA* 85/1.4 and question changed in description.
So, as a user of DFA* 85/1.4 I can confirm that this lens works with K-3, so no problems will be with K-3 II as well.

03-08-2022, 01:37 PM   #5

Original Poster
My apologies. Yes, I am asking about Pentax-D FA* 85mm F1.4 SDM AW. I do not understand what all the letters in the name mean, so I am not always sure what is critical to mention when referring to a particular lens. What does the D mean and how does this lens differ from the non-D lens?

I had read somewhere, probably on these forums, that there was potentially some issue with the K-3 II not communicating with lens. That is what I meant by "playing well together." Maybe I am thinking of the review page where it says, "If this lens is mounted on a camera without proper firmware upgrade, its diaphragm control mechanism becomes inactive leaving the aperture fixed at F1.4, making it difficult to obtain correct exposure."

Has anyone posted comparison photographs to show what the difference is between using this lens with full-frame vs APS-C?

Thank you to all,

A.D.
03-08-2022, 01:46 PM   #6
Pentaxian

My apologies. Yes, I am asking about Pentax-D FA* 85mm F1.4 SDM AW. I do not understand what all the letters in the name mean, so I am not always sure what is critical to mention when referring to a particular lens. What does the D mean and how does this lens differ from the non-D lens?

I had read somewhere, probably on these forums, that there was potentially some issue with the K-3 II not communicating with lens. That is what I meant by "playing well together." Maybe I am thinking of the review page where it says, "If this lens is mounted on a camera without proper firmware upgrade, its diaphragm control mechanism becomes inactive leaving the aperture fixed at F1.4, making it difficult to obtain correct exposure."

Has anyone posted comparison photographs to show what the difference is between using this lens with full-frame vs APS-C?

Thank you to all,

A.D.
There is no problem to make K-3 II firmware update. This camera is compatible with DFA*85/1.4 as stated in K-3 II specs list (DFA* 85/1.4 is KAF4 mount lens). The lens is newer than K-3 II camera model, so you need FW update to have full compatibility. Even K-50 is compatible.
You should not see any important differences in image quality between K-3 II and full frame camera K-1, just narrower field of view on K-3 II
03-08-2022, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you to all,

A.D.
The K3II has a firmware update to make it compatible with the D FA*85/1.4, so no worries there. I haven't used it on a K3II, but it should be a superb performer on that camera. The lens has quite a bit of vignetting wide open that should be pretty much removed by the cropped sensor, and so you will have one of the best short/mid telephotos in the game on your camera.
If you like that particular angle of view (I don't, but that's just me), then the lens will be stellar on your camera.