Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2022, 09:52 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Planning for an event this summer

I shot this event last summer and I've been asked to do it again for 2022. It's a 50 Mile trail running race held at high altitude in the San Juan mountains near Lake City, Co.
It was not an easy event to photograph at a high level. It's about a 10 mile hike with significant elevation gain from the trailhead to the area they want photos from in National Forest (so no motorized or even mechanized travel is allowed). Carrying my gear, that is about a 3 hour hike and the racers come through starting at about 7am. This requires me to spend the night nearby up there so that adds a lot more gear to carry.
Last year I had my new K-3iii and my old original K-3. I put the (screwdrive converted) SMC 16-50 on the K-3 with a fill flash (Godox V1) and my old DA L 55-300 on the K-3. This worked pretty well but the IQ of the 55-300 is just ok. I've recently gotten a 150-450 which would be great for the photos but it's just too big and heavy to bring on a trip like this unless I change my approach (like not spending the night and starting up at 3am instead).
So now I'm pondering if I could improve this setup in a meaningful way that wouldn't break the bank or my back.

With my old 55-300 not being WR one thing I'm thinking about is a new PLM 55-300 in case the weather is bad. Have any of you compared the old 55-300 to the new one? I understand the optical formula has not changed but the coatings and AF have been updated. Does this make much difference? Last year I shot the mostly at the long end of the 55-300 range and AF (mostly) wasn't a problem for the distant subjects. I might also need to rent a second K-3iii body if I did that since my original K-3's hotshoe is damaged which forces me to use the K-3iii with the flash for closer range shots and the original K-3 won't work with a PLM lens.

Or I could not change anything and shoot it like last year. The client liked the photos last year so there is that. But being without WR backpacking at 12,000' makes me a little uneasy.
It was stormy over night last year but it got nicer when I needed to shoot.

Any suggestions I should consider to stay light and improve IQ or add WR?

For reference, last year's photos are here.

Thanks!

03-08-2022, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #2

There is one other 55-300 you could consider. The original 55-300(12 elements, 8 groups) was updated in 2013 with a WR version that had the same optical formula as the original. The new PLM version has a new optical formula (14 elements, 11 groups).
03-08-2022, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Any chance of a friend who'd like to go along for the walk and help carry the gear?
03-08-2022, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
the original K-3 won't work with a PLM lens.
Yes it will - with a firmware upgrade: Pentax K-3 and HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE - Compatibility | PentaxForums.com

If you don't need all the way to 300mm, the Pentax DA* 60-250 might be adequate (not all that compact, but better then the 150-450). And with a 1.4 TC, the coverage and equivalent f-stop could be better.

03-08-2022, 10:41 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Yes it will - with a firmware upgrade: Pentax K-3 and HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE - Compatibility | PentaxForums.com

If you don't need all the way to 300mm, the Pentax DA* 60-250 might be adequate (not all that compact, but better then the 150-450). And with a 1.4 TC, the coverage and equivalent f-stop could be better.
Ooh, thanks for that info! This may simplify things for me. That makes the PLM version quite a bit more appealing with the old K-3.

I had a 60-250 in the past but it eventually had SDM failure and I moved on. I also have a DFA 70-200 so that is another option but it's also pretty heavy and doesn't have the reach I made good use of last year with the 55-300.
03-08-2022, 10:44 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Any chance of a friend who'd like to go along for the walk and help carry the gear?
This is also a good suggestion but I often like to be "self contained" on these so I don't need to rely on anyone else. I might be able to hire someone too but that may eat into the profits too much. I'm also not sure if any of my friends would be all that interested or able. But it would be nice. Or maybe I could borrow a pack mule or a llama...
03-08-2022, 10:47 AM - 1 Like   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if you don't want to buy the PLM, consider renting one

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

03-08-2022, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

The magic word is 'intern.' With this much time I'd be seeking an assistant in whatever form, ideally someone able to use, or be trained to reliably push the button on a third body offering expanded coverage.. though I don't know the job/event specifics. Is the event host not putting aid folks out along the way for the unexpected? That could offer some portage possibilities, if so.
03-08-2022, 11:37 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unless it is gear you will use more than 60 days a year, rent.

Due to the ever changing conditions in the Rockies, I would have a rain cover as well.

I look forward to seeing your pictures.
03-08-2022, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I would definitely do that for a body. I've rented in the past and generally had good experiences.

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnMc Quote
The magic word is 'intern.' With this much time I'd be seeking an assistant in whatever form, ideally someone able to use, or be trained to reliably push the button on a third body offering expanded coverage.. though I don't know the job/event specifics. Is the event host not putting aid folks out along the way for the unexpected? That could offer some portage possibilities, if so.
This could actually work. I recently gave a photo show and talk at the local university (and my alma mater) so I have some recognition with some student artists and their instructors.
I need to look into that idea. I would need to be sure I get someone fit enough to not be a liability for me. It's pretty rugged out there.

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Unless it is gear you will use more than 60 days a year, rent.

Due to the ever changing conditions in the Rockies, I would have a rain cover as well.

I look forward to seeing your pictures.
Yeah I might get enough use from an updated 55-300 to justify a purchase but I'll think it over a bit more while I keep an eye out for deals. I do like to travel light pretty regularly so it could see some use.
I do have one of those camera shaped plastic bags for emergencies. Good for peace of mind.

Thanks!
03-08-2022, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote

This could actually work. I recently gave a photo show and talk at the local university (and my alma mater) so I have some recognition with some student artists and their instructors.
Don't limit yourself to the art/photo dept if they also have a communications/journalism dept, and don't do it w/o consulting your insurance provider (assuming you have biz insurance), eyes wide open as they say, but it can work and be rewarding all the way around. Some schools may even cover some expenses for their students learning, but it takes time to work out.
03-08-2022, 06:51 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If focus speed is of any importance here the PLM version is super fast. Much faster and more accurate (ie no hunting) than previous versions (I've had DAL & HD/WR in the past). I also noticed a bit of increased IQ. Not as good as say 60-250, but somewhat better. Did the above mentioned firmware upgrade on K-3 and PLM worked fine.
03-08-2022, 08:00 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow! 10-mile, high elevation hike carrying backpacking and camera gear with significant elevation gain in 3 hours. 3.33 mph pace. You are very fit indeed. I did a multiday backpacking trip in the San Juans a couple years ago. It certainly is a rugged area. The best I could do was about 2 mph on the level spots. I carried a K70, DA 16-85, and 55-300 plm with 2 extra batteries, a dc charger, and a 20,000mA powerpack. The 55-300mm plm worked very well for me. Extremely fast focus, lightweight, and compact. The only drawback may be if you are in the forest in early morning or late evening (when the sun is low and behind a mountain) you may not have enough light to shoot the way you want to because of the slow aperture. On my copy the best quality is using it at f: 7.1-8, and a zoom range from about 75-275mm.

Last edited by DWS1; 03-08-2022 at 08:07 PM.