Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108 Likes Search this Thread
03-16-2022, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
BMC: I would like to try that HD FA 35 on one of my film bodies. It does look like they tried to put some modern thinking into the handling without making too many changes into the lens. I'm also (shudder) realizing that as much as I like 24 and 28mm lenses on my crop DSLR, I should probably get over my hangups about 35mm lenses on full frame.
The HD lens is identical except for some cosmetic texture on the outside and HD coating instead of smc on the lens elements.

03-16-2022, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Also don't forget that most of the F and FA lenses, outside of the Ltd's and Macro's, are not that nice to handle for manual focusing.
I would say this also doesn't apply to the FA* lenses, either. At least not my 24 or 200, which have a nice large focus ring and good feel, although not a super long throw like a fully manual focus lens. And they have the push/pull focus ring to select MF/AF, without the need to switch on the camera body, which is really nice.

Last edited by wadge22; 03-16-2022 at 08:58 AM.
03-16-2022, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #33
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I agree... though I will say, the action of the focus ring on the HD FA35/2 feels a little better to me than F and older FA lenses including the SMC FA35/2, and the textured rubber focusing ring is nicer to use than the SMC version's smooth one. I find MF perfectly acceptable with the HD version, though it's not as pleasurable as using an FA or DA Limited...
BMC: I would like to try that HD FA 35 on one of my film bodies. It does look like they tried to put some modern thinking into the handling without making too many changes into the lens. I'm also (shudder) realizing that as much as I like 24 and 28mm lenses on my crop DSLR, I should probably get over my hangups about 35mm lenses on full frame.
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
The HD lens is identical except for some cosmetic texture on the outside and HD coating instead of smc on the lens elements.
And yet, having used both the SMC and HD FA35/2, I can say with some confidence that the HD version I own has a nicer manual focusing action - not "night and day" different, but definitely nicer, with better damping. The textured focusing ring does make a surprisingly noticeable difference, being more obvious to the fingertips when reaching for it and feeling more positive in use. The SMC's smooth ring is virtually flush with the body, so - as with my FA50/1.4 - I found myself operating it from the leading edge to make sure I was holding the ring and not the barrel, like an F-series lens. Aside from that, it may simply be that my HD copy was bought brand new, whilst the SMC versions I've tried were used, subject therefore to some wear and tear, and possibly even a little drying-out of lubricant.

I'm going to revise my earlier comment and say that I actually prefer the focusing action on my HD FA35/2 to my DA Limited primes. It feels more traditional, like a nicely-greased helicoid on an A-series prime. The DA Limiteds focus smoothly, but feel like the mechanisms are constructed with fine-toothed gears...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-16-2022 at 09:40 AM.
03-16-2022, 09:40 AM - 2 Likes   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Also check out the photo finder. It doesn't seem to have all the lenses listed in the drop down search, but you see the lens types for each thumbnail:

Pentax Camera & Lens Sample Photo Search Engine - PentaxForums.com

03-16-2022, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
And yet, having used both the SMC FA35/2 and HD FA35/2, I can say with some confidence that the HD version I own has a nicer manual focusing action - not "night and day" different, but definitely nicer, with better damping.
Interesting, I don't notice a significant damping difference between mine - whatever there might be, is compensated by the grippier HD ring, I guess, which is indeed a little more substantial. Both feel precise, without play. I also bought the HD FA new, the FA was apparently only very slightly used. I don't use them for MF too much though, just whenever AF and I disagree. And btw.,, my DA35/2.4 was better for MF than both of the FAs.
03-16-2022, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #36
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Interesting, I don't notice a significant damping difference between mine - whatever there might be, is compensated by the grippier HD ring, I guess, which is indeed a little more substantial. Both feel precise, without play. I also bought the HD FA new, the FA was apparently only very slightly used. I don't use them for MF too much though, just whenever AF and I disagree. And btw.,, my DA35/2.4 was better for MF than both of the FAs.
Seems there's quite a lot of variance. My DA35/2.4 - owned since new - is precise but feels (and has always felt) like there's no damping whatsoever, like it's barely connected to anything (something I've heard others mention about theirs), while my DA50/1.8 - the other "plastic fantastic" - is well-damped and feels completely different. My HD DA35/2.8 Macro Limited is quite well-damped and the nicest of the DA primes I own in this respect, but still feels like it's part of a mechanism connected by gears rather than a grease-damped helicoid. The action of my HD FA35/2 is fairly light, but well-damped and smooooth... there's grease in them-there helicoid threads, I just know it

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-17-2022 at 06:02 AM.
03-16-2022, 12:40 PM - 2 Likes   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agreed on the DA 35 f2.4's manual focusing feeling pretty disconnected, although my F 50 f1.7 is worse.

03-16-2022, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #38
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

@OldChE

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
. . . DFA 100 macro. . .
a dedicated macro lens can be very helpful

QuoteQuote:
The Advantages of a Dedicated Macro Lens
Achieving lift-size magnification
Read more at: The Advantages of a Dedicated Macro Lens - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

the 100mm F2.8 macros can be very good as a macro and as a short telephoto

F SMC Pentax-F 100mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - F Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database,
FA SMC Pentax-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
D FA SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
D FA ( WR ) SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

they all share optical designs:

QuoteQuote:
. . . The optical design is the tried-and-proven formula of the previous generation D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro lens, which in turn had inherited the optical design from the well-respected FA 100mm F2.8 and F 100mm F2.8 macro lenses introduced in 1991 and 1987, respectively. None of these earlier lenses had rounded aperture blades . . . .
Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro Review - Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews
03-16-2022, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #39
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
a dedicated macro lens can be very helpful
If macro is an area of interest, Tamron's 90mm f/2.8 is also worth a look. Only available used these days, it's typically quite inexpensive - and with its aperture ring and screw-drive AF plus clutch-mechanism for AF / MF selection, it's compatible with all K-mount bodies from older film through current digital. Optically, it's really very nice indeed... similar to, but slightly different than, the D FA100/2.8 Macro WR. I actually prefer the rendering of the Tamron just ever-so-slightly, but it's a very close run thing...
03-16-2022, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BMC: What about the Sigma 105 EX DG Macro? Have you tried it vs. the Tamron 90 f2.8 and Pentax AF 100 macro's?
03-16-2022, 07:07 PM - 2 Likes   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
Thanks for all the comments. I'm going to look at new vs. used prices for the 35/2 and the limiteds. One question - should I also be looking at the older Pentax-F primes?
The HD coatings can make an appreciable difference in image quality, so much better at controlling flair and ghosting for better sharpness and contrast in some circumstances. Especially pertaining to the HD FA 35mm f/2, the price is so reasonable for the performance it can deliver, unless the budget is very pinched, the difference in buying a new one vs. used would hardly seem worth it. There are side-by-side imaging comparisons done between the HD versions of the FA Ltds and the older non-HD, but I cannot remember where to look.
03-16-2022, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
There are side-by-side imaging comparisons done between the HD versions of the FA Ltds and the older non-HD, but I cannot remember where to look.
HD vs. SMC Limited FA Lenses
HD vs. SMC Limited Primes (for the DA Limiteds)
03-16-2022, 10:07 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, looks like a new HD 35 F2 is a definite possibility. I'll check used prices again, but I just did a quick check on several sites for used lenses (B&H, Adorama, KEH, Roberts, MPB, ebay) and didn't see anything that looked better than just getting new at Adorama $396. Did I miss any good lens vendor sites? Of course I'll check here on PF as well.

On the limiteds, the 31 is quite expensive ($946) vs. the HD 32F2, so I think I'll go with the latter. I don't see much advantage right now in the 43 - I might get an inexpensive F 50/1.4 instead to see if I like it better than my DA 50/1.8 (of course it will have an aperture ring which my DA 50 doesn't). So, the other thing I'm looking at is finding a 77 limited at a reasonable price. I'd rather find one used and save a bit over the $696 cost. Then, maybe if I fall in love with the 77 limited, I could always consider the 31 or 43 in the future. And there are those other limiteds without aperture rings, some are a reasonable price (<$600) that I could consider for the DSLRs and the couple film bodies that can work well with them.

Last edited by OldChE; 03-16-2022 at 10:08 PM. Reason: forgot something
03-16-2022, 10:17 PM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
And there are those other limiteds without aperture rings, some are a reasonable price (<$600) that I could consider for the DSLRs and the couple film bodies that can work well with them.
Bear in mind the DA limiteds (all other limiteds except DFA21, FA31, FA43, and FA77) are not designed as FF lenses, they are for APSC.
Not sure and can't right now look too far in to whether any of them have good full frame coverage, but you can check that out here. I'm pretty sure the DA20-40 has decent FF use case, but don't know about the rest of the DAs.
03-16-2022, 10:41 PM - 1 Like   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
Bear in mind the DA limiteds (all other limiteds except DFA21, FA31, FA43, and FA77) are not designed as FF lenses, they are for APSC.
Not sure and can't right now look too far in to whether any of them have good full frame coverage, but you can check that out here. I'm pretty sure the DA20-40 has decent FF use case, but don't know about the rest of the DAs.
Understood, thanks for pointing that out. I was thinking that some of my film bodies (MZ-S, ZX-L, PZ-1P) work well with lenses lacking aperture rings, but of course they need to cover the frame as well. The DA 50/1.8 does so, but I realize that I'd have to check each lens design. Compatibility with the film cameras is good, but not always mandatory. I could have a lot of fun with a lens on my K-70, and can always do crop mode on the K-1. Thanks again!