Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108 Likes Search this Thread
03-14-2022, 11:00 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First good prime to get? For K-1M2, K-70, and also film

I have a variety of k-mount Pentax bodies (several film, from K1000 through MZ-S), along with a K-70 and K-1 Mark II. For the K-70 I usually use the 18-135, and for the K-1 usually the 28-105. Leaving aside the manual focus lenses, I have a DA 50/1.8 as my only prime, except for a FA 100/4 macro, and have some older F and FA zooms (28-80, 28-90, 35-105, 35-70, some longer zooms), nothing expensive - except the 24-90 zoom did cost me a bit to get from Japan to go with the MZ-S. I use those older zooms on the film cameras, but could use them on the digitals as well. What I'd like to do now is to sell off some of the redundant and/or lower quality zooms and some extra manual focus primes and start to get some higher quality primes. I'd like to be able to use them with the K-1, K-70, and my autofocus film bodies if possible. I'm just a hobby photographer, no weddings or demanding work. I like to take mostly flowers, trees in the fall, architecture, city and nature shots, and of course some family pictures. I'm considering the HD 35/2, which would be a good normal prime on the K-70 and a fast wide angle on the K-1 or film cameras. Or, maybe the FA 50/1.4 would be good as a fast normal on the K-1 (at higher quality than the 50/1.8 I have now), and it would also work well on the film cameras with the aperture ring, while providing a fast portrait use on the K-70. Or should I spend a few hundred more and get one of the limited lenses (FA 31, 43, or 77) instead of those I just mentioned? Do those limiteds work well for APS-C, full frame, and film? I'm uncertain. I think I'd like, for this next purchase, to get as flexible use as possible, and I can leave more specialized and expensive purchases for later. I'm leaning toward the HD 35/2, new, and a used FA50/1.4, perhaps getting both. I've seen people really like the 35 and 50 macros, so that is a possibility as well, though since I have the 100 macro I'm not sure I really need those. I know it is hard to make a recommendations, but perhaps you can tell me what you like about these or similar lenses, for the kinds of use I mentioned. Any advice appreciated. Thanks! - Richard.

03-15-2022, 01:26 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
I like to take mostly flowers, trees in the fall, architecture, city and nature shots, and of course some family pictures.
Flowers: DFA 100 macro
Trees in the fall: DFA28-105
City/nature shots: DFA28-105 , DFA100 macro
Architecture: DFA21 Ltd
Family pictures: DFA28-105 (groups), DFA 100 macro (portraits)
03-15-2022, 01:27 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All good options but another suggestion is the FA43 f1.9 Ltd as its a very useful FL on fullframe and a great little performer (and the cheapest limited). Mine is on the K-1 quite a lot.
03-15-2022, 01:30 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I'm leaning toward the HD 35/2, new, and a used FA50/1.4, perhaps getting both.
That's what I did, but since I have the DFA 28-105, the 35 and 50 primes aren't used, reason being the 28-105 is as good or better than old primes optically.

---------- Post added 15-03-22 at 10:01 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
All good options but another suggestion is the FA43 f1.9 Ltd as its a very useful FL on fullframe and a great little performer (and the cheapest limited). Mine is on the K-1 quite a lot.
The 43 ltd acts like "foot in the door", as it usually leads to purchase the 31 ltd and 77 ltd, then the 43 doesn't get much use.

03-15-2022, 02:29 AM - 1 Like   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

When I got my first Pentax dSLR, I bought first a DA18-250mm as an all-around lens, and I was looking for my advice for my first prime. A Forum member recommend me the Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f14: I got it and I regard it as possibly the best advice that I received. The VL58mm f.14 is an incredible lens. It is very sturdy, metallic, MF and outstanding IQ. The lens is FF and would work nicely with both K-1 and K-170.

I am now hooked with the incredible Voigtlander, having 3 of them (58-90-125). All in all, the VL58mm is possibly my most used prime lens, 13 years on.

Hope that the comment may help.
03-15-2022, 02:45 AM - 4 Likes   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

If you want a lens that will work fully on all your cameras, from the digital bodies to your older film cameras such as the K-1000, it will need to have an aperture control ring. For AF capability on older AF film bodies, it needs to use screw-drive auto-focus. Plus, you'll want to consider the different fields of view on both full frame and APS-C.

The HD FA35/2 you mention (or the older SMC version) would be an excellent choice, IMHO. It's optically very good, quite fast at f/2, will act as a moderate wide angle on your 35mm film cameras and K-1II and more like a "normal" lens on APS-C... really very versatile indeed. Similarly versatile would be the FA 31 Limited - or you could choose any of the other older-style FA Limiteds with aperture ring and screw-drive AF. The most suitable focal length is something only you can determine based on your photographic needs...

NOTE: Lenses such as the D FA100/2.8 Macro WR and D FA21 Limited mentioned in an earlier response aren't going to be fully functional on your film bodies. Neither has an aperture control ring, while the D FA21 doesn't have a mechanical diaphragm linkage...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-15-2022 at 02:11 PM.
03-15-2022, 02:45 AM - 1 Like   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . Any advice appreciated. Thanks! - Richard.
1 determine the subjects you wish to photograph

2 do your research on lenses

3 determine budget - new or " experienced "

I have found the forums' marketplace to be a good source for " experienced " gear

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/?security...d+States&all=1

4 ask for advice

5 consider: can you spend money to rent a lens to gain personal experience

QuoteQuote:
Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent
an issue has arisen, at least in my small mind, that it might be helpful for members to know what businesses reliably offer rental of cameras, lenses and other gear . . .
Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
. . . The 43 ltd acts like "foot in the door", as it usually leads to purchase the 31 ltd and 77 ltd, . . . .
it can be hard to stop at one limited

BTW:

QuoteQuote:
US Pentax Deal Roundup - Week of March 14, 2022 (Limiteds on sale)
Posted By: Adam, 03-14-22, 13:34 (Online)
Welcome to this week's roundup of the best US Pentax lens deals! This week we have lots of Limits on sale, with savings on the majority of FA models as well as some DA models.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/439384-us-pentax-d...#ixzz7Nb3wHtDD

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-15-2022 at 03:13 AM.
03-15-2022, 03:44 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Any of the FA Limiteds, hands down. They will be fully functional on your film bodies, K-1 and K70(some folks are not crazy about the 43 on crop though). I've bought, tried out and sold a great deal of lenses over the years and always come back to the FA Ltds.

Here are some links to give you an idea. Taken with K-1, apsc, and some film.

FA31 | Flickr

FA77 | Flickr

FA 43 | Flickr

Cheers and happy hunting
03-15-2022, 03:56 AM   #9
Pentaxian

If you buy all primes, it doesn't matter which one is the first. Just roll a dice and buy one, the rest will follow.
03-15-2022, 04:22 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

The HD FA 35mm f/2 is an excellent lens and I use mine on APS-C digital and on film.

Regarding a 50mm or thereabouts, I have used the FA and F 50mm f/1.7 and also the DAL 50/1.8 and the FA 43/1.9 Limited. The F is the best of the three 50mms for two reasons: (1) it's fully compatible with digital and film and (2) it's got the best build quality of the three. The FA has the same compatibility and looks nicer but it's build is cheaper and more plasticky. The F is also plastic on the outside but feels more solid, I think it's metal internally.

The DAL works fine on digital and on film cameras that are compatible with lenses that don't have an aperture ring. It's a nicer lens to use than the similar 35/2.4 despite being plastic.

However, all three have a small problem, which is that their focusing is not very precise at wider apertures, around f/2.5 and below. This is not the case with the 43mm, whose AF at wider apertures is more or less standard as far as Pentax gear goes.

The 43mm is smaller and slightly better built than the F 50mm but overall they're both good options though you'd need to decide if the 43mm merits the extra expense. On digital I don't mind which of the slightly different fields of view I use but on film I prefer the slightly longer 50mm to the 43mm for the field of view but that's likely because I'm more used to it.
03-15-2022, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The (HD) FA 35/2 is an excellent choice for your indicated photographic uses. Very good and fully usable already wide open, stopped down less than 1 full stop it becomes excellent.The HD is a notch better with respect to flares (I had both), but the non-HD FA 35 is excellent to begin with, either will do. They're somewhat of a premium FA, featuring a reversible hood. I like their compactness and light weight, so the FA35 gets a lot of time on the KP for casual use, whereas the FA31 - still compact, not too heavy, highly recommended if the price is not a major concern - is more frequently used on the K-1. It's of course a lot nicer to focus manually.

I don't like the FA 50/1.4 - somewhat soft with low contrast wide open and experiencing some focus shift, making precise low-light AF a gamble. I prefer my much easier to work with F50/1.7 - essentially the same lens as your DA50/1.8 optically, but FF capable. The DA has a nicer aperture than both F(A)50s and despite the plastic build, mine was a delight in comparison in terms of manual focus. Image quality-wise, the FA50/1.4 is not better, it just offers you a dreamy shallow focus option, from f/2.8 on they're hard to distinguish. Below that the 1.4 is softer, but can create a nicer bokeh. What I bought used in addition is a DA55* - wonderful on APS-C and without the deep hood mostly usable on FF from f/2.0 or f/2.8 on - high quality, but maybe not the best to start with for your photographic profile.

Below 31mm, if you get your hands on an inexpensive F28/2.8, it's an interesting compact lens, but not a world of a difference to the DFA28-105. The FA28 is different optically, btw. Other than that, basically all of the interesting primes that also work on the MZ-S are manual focus lenses, with the FA20/2.8 as a potential exception that recently came down a bit in (used) price, but I don't have any experience with it personally and neither with the FA*24/2.0 - which has seen mixed reviews. For your use, some of the FF wide Samyangs (e.g. the 20/1.8) or the Irix 15mm (+more expensive Zeiss ZK, Laowa) might be of interest and really open up new photographic options. Expect some learning curve for the ultra-wides.
03-15-2022, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All the lenses you take into account are good to very good. The limiteds have a better built quality and are better for manual focus, so they would be the logical choice for your manual film bodies. So it is up to your personal preference which focal length you prefer. The only point were you are going wrong ist the FA 50mm/1.4 and the DA 50mm/1.8. The DA 1.8 is slightly superior to the FA 1.4 in terms of image quality. So if you are content with the DA on the K-1, there is no reason to buy the FA 1.4. Also the FA is very soft wide and (as the DA 1.8) will shine form 2.8 on.
Another thing to be mentioned is, that all of the lenses you take into account are from film area times and escpecially the fast and wide ones will occasionaly show purple fringing when wide open. Some people care for that, some not.
Look also at Pentax K Lens Tests
03-15-2022, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If only for the bodies that can work without aperture I recommend the DA 55/1.4 (portraits on k70, fast normal or wider people shots on k1) I really like my copy. I use it on my KP and a7r3. The FA 31/1.8 is another stellar option I use on both (fast normal/wide people shots on k70, mild wide angle on k-1).

Other options: fa35 as already mentioned is a great lens. Similar in use to the 31 - at far lower cost. DA 70 is a good sub for the 77 if you don’t require an aperture ring.

Manual focus? K 28/3.5, k or M 50/1.4
03-15-2022, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It sounds like the MZ-S is the film body that is intended for use, so I'd probably round up the following; Tamron 17mm Adaptall or Pentax M 20mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Pentax DA 40mm XS f2.8, Pentax F 50 f1.7, and the older Pentax D-FA 100mm Macro that comes with an aperture ring & focusing clamp (I do not own a copy of that lens but I would like to get one). For a first prime either the Sigma 28 or the 100mm Macro would be my first stop.
03-15-2022, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The 43 ltd acts like "foot in the door", as it usually leads to purchase the 31 ltd and 77 ltd, then the 43 doesn't get much use.
Ha - I did it in reverse! For me I got the 77mm first, liked it, then same seller offered me a 31mm at a decent price and got that. A year after that I got the 43mm Ltd and while the other limiteds are fantastic, the 43 is my go to lens due to its versatile focal length.