Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2022, 10:45 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
FA 31 Limited issue?

I recently bought a used FA 31 Limited (my first FA Ltd!) from an ad posted here on this site and i was so excited buying it that I did not notice the front element has a slight wobble to it such that when I hold the lens hood, I see maybe a half a millimeter of sideways travel and I can hear it. Am i just being paranoid? Is this normal or does this indicate the lens has taken a hit or something similar? there are no obvious signs of any damage, and the lens otherwise looks in excellent condition. It came with the box and all papers, etc. One other question I have is what is the best way to test if it is front or back focusing without too elaborate of a set up? Thank you!

03-17-2022, 12:40 AM   #2
pid
Pentaxian

sometimes one of the inner screws get loose. Mine had that many years ago. Send it to service for fixing. But if it just wobbling for, lets say, a quater of a milimeter, this would be normal behaviour.
03-17-2022, 03:03 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For many years my FA31 did not wobble, at all in any direction. I recently had to send it to get serviced due to the front elements wobbling up and down ( but not side to side) by about at least 1mm.
03-17-2022, 07:04 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by toukan Quote
I recently bought a used FA 31 Limited (my first FA Ltd!) from an ad posted here on this site . . .
have you been in contact with the PF member who sold you the lens ?

in my experience, members are eager to answer questions and help out even after the sale

can't hurt to try

if looking for repair:

QuoteQuote:
US
KEH.com (GA, Most current and vintage gear)
Eric Hendrickson (Vintage cameras, Current and vintage lenses)
Precision Camera (Authorized to perform warranty service, NC)
Advance Camera (Most current and vintage gear, Portland, OR)
General Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Garry's Camera Repair (IL, select film SLRs)
International Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Halcyon Cameras | Vintage Camera Restoration (Vintage film cameras, San Diego, CA)
Camera Repair Japan (Services Sigma lenses and more, Atlanta, GA)
Allied Camera (MN, manual film cameras)
Bill Rogers Camera (LV, NV, film-era cameras and lenses)
Phototronic (Topeka, KS, film and digital camera repair)
Lezot's Camera Center (VT, film SLRs / medium format)

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/189-repairs-warranty-service/316284-pent...#ixzz7NnjcFiKY

I have used Phototronic https://phototronic.biz/ here in Topeka KS

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-17-2022 at 07:10 AM.
03-17-2022, 07:54 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I have read about this problem on various Limited lenses over the years and it's simply a question of tightening some internal screws. Better to do it before it gets bad as eventually something may fall out and get lost or broken. I think the seller really should have declared the fault as, while easy to fix, it does mean extra cost for the buyer.
03-17-2022, 08:53 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yeah, mine's got it. Got to send it off somewhere, but Precision's online estimate is ridiculous. Need to find some independent repair person.