Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Question about Macro Lenses

I have a DFA 100 on the way from Amazon/17th Street Photo. In looking over the specs on a Pentax web page, I see the minimum focusing distance is about a foot, but I also see the (to me unfamiliar) term, "working distance" (about 5 inches) cited. Can anyone tell me what the term, "working distance" means vis a vis a macro?

Thanks,

Jer

03-13-2007, 05:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I have a DFA 100 on the way from Amazon/17th Street Photo. In looking over the specs on a Pentax web page, I see the minimum focusing distance is about a foot, but I also see the (to me unfamiliar) term, "working distance" (about 5 inches) cited. Can anyone tell me what the term, "working distance" means vis a vis a macro?

Thanks,

Jer
Hi Jer,

The minimum focusing distance is the distance from the sensor plane of the camera to the subject.

The minimum working distance is the distance from the end of the lens to the subject.

Regards,

Pedro
03-13-2007, 05:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter

this might help

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote

Thanks,

Jer
Hi Jer,

Working distance references the lens front element - the distance from the lens itself. MFD (min. focusing distance) is to the sensor/film plane.

My FA* 200/4 macro has a working distance of 11 inches, but it's 1.69 feet (approx. 20 inches) to the sensor/film plane:
Pentax Imaging: smc P-FA 200mm F4.0 ED (1:1 magnf) - FA - Macro - Digital & 35mm - Lenses - Cameras by Pentax

Cheers,
Marc
03-14-2007, 03:34 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Hi Jer,

My FA* 200/4 macro has a working distance of 11 inches, but it's 1.69 feet (approx. 20 inches) to the sensor/film plane:

Cheers,
Marc
Where'd you find it? <DROOL!>

03-14-2007, 04:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks Pedro and Marc - makes perfect sense.

Jer