Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 78 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2022, 01:17 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll just add that regardless of what lens you have on, do some stitching. Handheld is fine, just sort of keep it level. It doesn't need to be a mid focal length - just use whatever, the film is free. The fisheye stitches just fine (but with that puppy, you really need to keep it level). Even with the longer focal lengths - you will get incredible detail.

03-24-2022, 01:32 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My first trip was back in about 05. I didn’t have my sigma 10-20 yet so I took my PZ1 and FA-J18-35, along with my FA 28-105, and sigma 70-200/2.8 and 1.4x TC that I used on my *istD. There are birding opportunities as well as the scenic shots.
03-24-2022, 01:56 PM - 3 Likes   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I see no reason NOT to take the 55-300 and several reasons to say yes. Wide vistas are beautiful, but capturing the wildlife and more intimate details of the canyon view and national park will be something you'll regret if you don't have a longer lens with you too. That PLM is compact enough it won't be in the way. If there's room someplace for the fisheye too then fine (it IS a fun lens), but otherwise the Sigma 10-20 should suffice IMO. Personally I'd have a hard time leaving the 20-40 at home but since space is at a premium your DA 40 Limited is pretty tiny and still fills that mid-range standard view.

So minimally three lenses, Sigma 10-20, DA40, and 55-300PLM, is what I'd personally carry from the collection you own.
I have been hiking in Bryce several times, once when my kids were small and once as mid-late teens. For what its worth, here are a few thoughts. I am also a KP user now although the first time I was using a another camera, second time around with the KP. My kit is as follows and for the subsequent reasons: KP, 15mm Limited, DA 20-40, 70mm Limited, 55-300 PLM.

From a photo standpoint, Bryce is unique in that you can get great vistas from above the canyon that allow panoramas (wider---I have 15mm, also have the Sigma 10-20 but did not want to lug around, 15 worked great), and then targeted shots of spires and areas with the hoodoos with the 55-300 PLM. You can drive to many of these with the kids, get out, take some shots etc and move on. Hiking down, which others have recommended is a must , especially with your kids should be part of your trip. For trips down (and up) I didn't want to be changing lenses all the time so the 20-40mm is great, small enough and compact (dust no big issue, I used a UV filter as it was summer and wanted to protect from bangs-- you may have more of a mud issue in April or May). Most trails down also have "mini" switchbacks which the kids liked to run ahead so I was not about to be stopping for lens changes, was pretty much in auto mode, as mom and I were trying to keep up with them as they disappeared and reappeared ahead of us. Those paths are tight and until you get to the bottom where you can then pan up for some wider shots--- the 20-40 is great. I also used the 70 for close-ups in lower light if we were going in the morning or later before sunset. We did get stuck in passing rain a few times but ducked into a cave and stashed any gear. Rain in April and May should also be expected.

Either way, have a blast and make some memories!

My biggest learning was to travel super light, realizing I really wanted to soak up the experience with my family much more than taking great shots. I used a sling bag for my gear so I could just rotate it and take the camera out if I was on the run. If you are hiking down, bring snacks and water of course.
03-24-2022, 02:18 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Based on the comments here, I'm leaning towards:

DA 16-85mm WR
DA 55-300mm PLM WR
DA 10-17mm fisheye
DA 40mm limited f/2.8 (because it's so small)
I've been to Zion a few times & if I could only take one lens with me, it would be the DA 16-85mm WR. It's wide enough & can zoom enough. The DA 55-300mm would be an optional second lens for zooming into distant subjects & objects.

I usually take only 1 lens 'cause carrying a camera bag with lenses & other gear can get annoying at times. More than likely I'll never change lenses as I'm out hiking, so less is more. Having kids with you can make it a little harder as well.

Now, if it were strictly a photography trip, I'd take a lot of lenses.

03-24-2022, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Based on the comments here, I'm leaning towards:

DA 16-85mm WR
DA 55-300mm PLM WR
DA 10-17mm fisheye
DA 40mm limited f/2.8 (because it's so small)

I think those choices will serve you well. Perhaps you've already considered it, but I would also strongly recommend adding a travel tripod for pixel-shift, sunrise/sunset shots, wonderful family shots that include yourself in beautiful surroundings, astro photography, etc. (delayed or remote shutter release).
03-24-2022, 02:55 PM - 3 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Travel light. I see the places posted ad infinitum from both locations. The photos of your family with the locations in the background are the worthy ones. Having an adventure with family or setting up and waiting for the light while they are off doing things isn't the best memories.
A monopodas a hiking stick and for long exposures is all I regret. I wish I had the 16-85 as a single lens.
03-24-2022, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your tentative plan looks good.

Depending on how compact you need to go, the DA 20-40mm Ltd would work also, since you have the WA and tele range so well covered. And as you say, you'd have f/2.8 available. However, with the 16-85mm you have more zoom range without having to change lenses- but it is much larger. My own ultra-compact kit with my KP is the DA 20-40mm, along with the remarkably compact DA 15mm and 70mm Ltds. I also have along the HD DA 55-300mm WR to take out if I feel I might need more tele. My all-around versatile choice is my DA 18-135mm WR lens, which I sometime take as a one-lens wonder, but the DA 15mm Ltd is so small it lives in the front accessory zip-up compartment of my holster-style camera case. There's no visual suggestion of its presence together with a small sheet of mini-bubble wrap for extra protection, and there's still enough room for a spare battery and SD card and with yet some room left over! By the size of this case and its front pocket, one would never suspect the possibility of a lens being in there!

Decisions, decisions. Tough calls, to be sure.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-25-2022 at 01:35 PM.
03-24-2022, 05:32 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

I wouldn't actually taking the DA 10-17 for Bryce and Zion. You end up having to take a lot of pictures with the horizon in the center, and with the cloudless days you can get in the desert, even in April, half your image will be blue. I would bring the Sigma 10-20. I purchased the DA 12-24 in February of 2016 primarily for Bryce Canyon. Ultra-wides are mostly useful if hike down into the hoodoos. Telephotos are often what you want when you're looking down into the Bryce amphitheater. And I actually wouldn't bother with the 40mm. In fact, I think you could get away with taking the DA 20-40 instead of the DA 16-85, but either zoom would work fine. I don't know if you'll have the time, but if you can set up a tripod, there will be opportunities for using pixel shift, which can assist in capturing the amazing color of Bryce. Here's typical images you can get (although there probably won't be any snow in April—although it can get cold at Bryce in the mornings that time of year):

With ultra-wide zoom:

With telephoto (pixel shift):

03-24-2022, 05:32 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
My own ultra-compact kit with my KP is the DA 20-40mm, along with the remarkably compact DA 15mm and 70mm Ltds.
QuoteOriginally posted by Gene D Quote
My kit is as follows and for the subsequent reasons: KP, 15mm Limited, DA 20-40, 70mm Limited, 55-300 PLM.
You've both given me something to think about -- I am serious considering switching things up for this trip and taking a kit comprised of exactly these lenses. I did Yellowstone and Grand Tetons last summer and took DA 16-85mm and it was a workhorse and performed admirably. But I'm incredibly fortunate and privileged to have a large lens collection and I'm thinking hard about going the limited lens route for this trip.

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Travel light. I see the places posted ad infinitum from both locations. The photos of your family with the locations in the background are the worthy ones. Having an adventure with family or setting up and waiting for the light while they are off doing things isn't the best memories.
A monopodas a hiking stick and for long exposures is all I regret. I wish I had the 16-85 as a single lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I usually take only 1 lens 'cause carrying a camera bag with lenses & other gear can get annoying at times. More than likely I'll never change lenses as I'm out hiking, so less is more. Having kids with you can make it a little harder as well.

Now, if it were strictly a photography trip, I'd take a lot of lenses.
But then I hear these wise words and it does sound mighty appealing to not have to worry about changing lenses while hiking and exploring these magnificent places with my kids and wife.

Ah, decisions, decisions is right! And, I know, these are certainly first world problems!!

---------- Post added 03-24-22 at 08:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
I wouldn't actually taking the DA 10-17 for Bryce and Zion. You end up having to take a lot of pictures with the horizon in the center, and with the cloudless days you can get in the desert, even in April, half your image will be blue. I would bring the Sigma 10-20.
This is incredibly helpful. Thank you!
03-24-2022, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

I was at both parks back in 2019. The weather can be very different since Bryce Canyon is 8300 feet in elevation (colder) and Zion is down closer to (warmer or hotter) sea level. I had a K-3 and 16-85 and 55-300 (not PLM) as my kit. The vast majority of the time, the 16-85 was all I needed but it was nice to have the HD 55-300 for the occasional long shots. I plan on going back to both parks again and my kit will be the K-3 with the 16-85 and the 55-300 which is now the PLM version. These two lenses should give just about all you need. There almost no situations where I wished I had something wider than the 16-85, but if you can fit in the sigma or the 10-17 FE then certainly take it along. Enjoy your trip.
03-24-2022, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also plan to take my compact 1" point and shoot Panasonic LX10 that is good in low light and very portable.
Give that to your kids and let them shoot away! They will probably have different artistic view points, and it will be a unique learning experience.

Or, your wife. I take my heavy hitters (K-3 and K-1) on all our trips, but my wife gets the Canon G15, and her shots are always quite different and very good in perspective and artistic ways
03-25-2022, 01:14 AM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Back in 2009, when I visited Bryce and Zion (along with many others) with my family, my lens was a lowly Tamron 18-200mm, and it was adequate, but nothing special. If I were going today, and had your lens collection, I would seriously consider the Pentax 18-270mm, as a one-lens solution, and stick the 15mm Ltd in a side pocket. Happy trip, and happy shooting!
03-25-2022, 03:00 AM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Obviously, the most important thing for me on this vacation is to have a good time with my family.
As I always ask "Are you a hiker who takes pictures, or a photographer who is willing to hike?" more importantly, is the group you're with tolerant of you stopping every 5 steps to change lenses and take pictures?
I think the DA 16-85mm is the best "walk-around" choice for them most opportunities and subject you will see. I doubt it will be dusty, but some canyons have small water streams and such, and that water can splash off the rocks. That said, if you are going to be hiking some narrow canyons, the DA 10-17 will allow you take it all in. I don't mind fisheye lenses at all, and that lens renders so well. I always have the DA 40mm LTD or XS handy when I need a prime, usually for after hiking when I want high quality images in low light as I enjoy my post-hike evening meal with friends and family.
Consider a small beanbag or Joby in case you think you might need support for selfies of want to do some long exposure images to minimize crowds.

I walked around Bryce and Zion using only one lens, a 24-90 zoom on a K-1. I had a CPL on the lens to cut reflective glare in midday sun. The main park at Zion is fantastic, but there is also the Kolob Canyon entrance on the NW side of the park which offers some unique scenery and views with fewer crowds.
Both Bryce and Zion area offers amazing scenery, don't try to see it all on foot. look at a map and choose a one "must-see" for each day, with a few nearby attractions if time allow. Enjoyment, not endurance, is the mark of a good vacation. April in Utah should see a lot of spring blooms, and possibly some awesome thunderstorms in the big skies over the canyons.
Don't worry about trying to get your image of a place that 1 million others have photographed. Look at the maps, take the trams through both parks for the grand tour, and get off to explore certain locations that appeal to you and your family.
You could easily spend all your time at those two parks. I personally love the idea of parking the car near the park on Day 1 and not using it until I get ready to depart the area a few days later. but if you do want to venture out relatively near the parks, Cedar City and Cedar Breaks National Monument , Kodachrome Point State Park, and Kanab Utah are worth visiting.
03-25-2022, 03:45 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was telling you about all the traffic in Zion Nat'l Park. When I stopped in a turnout to photograph beautiful scenery, 2 "Los Angeles Coach" buses squeezed me in a sandwich, one parking ahead of me, the second one just behind me. I could not safely back onto the road as I had no view of the incoming traffic.

Fortunately some of the Japanese tourists saw my desperate attemps to back onto the Park road, a couple of them stopped the traffic and directed me to get free and going in total safety. I know only 8 words of Japanese but I thanked them profusely for their "gentlemanly" assistance (Arrigato Gosaïmasu).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot G3 X  Photo 
03-25-2022, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Again, thank you all for your comments -- so very enlightening! The blessing, and curse, of having such a large collection of lenses is that when it comes time for a big once-in-a-lifetime vacation like this one, I need to be selective with which lenses to take, as I have limited space in my carry-on and as mentioned above, traveling with my kids and spouse means I need to minimize lens changes.

Trying to distill the 25+ posts above (which obviously are not all in agreement), I think my options are as follows. I have good reasons for taking any of these combinations, and just need to narrow it down -- though may decide at the very last minute (given my natural indecisiveness, it will probably be minutes before heading to the airport!).

Option 1: DA 15mm, DA 20-40mm, DA 55-300 PLM
Option 2: Sigma 10-20mm, DA 20-40mm, DA 55-300 PLM
Option 3: Sigma 10-20mm, DA 16-85mm
Option 4: DA 16-85mm, DA 55-300 PLM
Option 5: DA 16-85mm
Option 6: DA 10-17mm, DA 16-85mm
Option 7: DA 15mm, DA 18-270mm

(+ will pack the DA 40mm lens because it's so small)