Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2022, 07:20 AM - 3 Likes   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Option 4: DA 16-85mm, DA 55-300 PLM
Option #4. Definitely the way to go to get the best images !

Regards

03-25-2022, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello everyone -- I'm headed off to Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks in early April for my family's spring break trip. Never been there before. I will only take one camera, my trusty KP. I'm pretty sure I'm going to pack my Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 and Pentax DA 10-17mm fish-eye.

I want to know what other lenses to take.

(1) How important is a WR lens in these parks? (I have heard about wind/dust problems?) The easiest choice is probably my DA 16-85mm though DA 20-40mm is an option and lighter/more compact and f/2.8 too.
(2) Should I take a longer zoom lens -- like my DA 55-300mm RE PLM WR?

Note: I have two kids under 11 years old who are traveling with me and my wife. I want to try to pack fairly light, so I will need to leave at home my primes and low light lens options (f/2.8 and below). I was thinking of taking my DA 18-270mm superzoom lens but that isn't WR.

My lens collection is listed in my signature below.

Thanks!
-Brian
Take your wide angle. I wouldn't bother with the fisheye, but if you like it, you do you. Definitely take some sort of telephoto. Wide angle shots of landscapes get tired really quickly.
03-25-2022, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Option 4: DA 16-85mm, DA 55-300 PLM
. . .

(+ will pack the DA 40mm lens because it's so small)
Based on having been there, that's what I would take. The 55-300 is handy for some of the wildlife: deer, bighorn sheep, etc.
03-25-2022, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
I think you could get away with taking the DA 20-40 instead of the DA 16-85, but either zoom would work fine.
From someone who has photographed there, and also bought the Pentax DA 12-24mm for the trip, and has recommendations for using telephoto too.^

Option #4 would be best for absolutely minimizing lens-changing, and maybe also taking the Sigma 10-20. But not exactly a compact choice.

Option #1 is easily the most compact choice for carrying, very fine imaging and good aperture range, and with excellent coverage from WA to tele.

Option #2 is the next most compact choice, with even greater coverage from WA to tele.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-26-2022 at 02:30 PM.
03-25-2022, 04:05 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote

Option #2 is the next most compact choice, with even greater coverage from WA to tele.
I took the 18-50 and 55-300 with 1.4xtc, I also had the 40 which never made sense for canyons or wildlife really. I found I rarely needed anything long and if I didn't have it on the camera I didn't have time to get the shot after switching lenses. I ended up keeping the tele on camera just in case and then having to change the lens everytime I wanted 90% of the photos I wanted. But I did get shots of wildlife to far away to make a good picture for my headache and skipped good shots because it was too much headach to switch glass for the 80th time.
03-26-2022, 12:23 AM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DA 16-85mm WRDA 55-300mm PLM WRDA 10-17mm fisheyeDA 40mm limited f/2.8 (because it's so small)

Have you thought of a more dedicated macro option (i.e. your DA 35 Macro Limited)? You may end up not using it, but if you should encounter something that requires it, you'll be glad you brought it. Would also double as an excellent standard prime and hence add more versatility to your kit than the DA 40 Limited. Just my two bits.
03-26-2022, 12:46 AM - 2 Likes   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
But I did get shots of wildlife to far away to make a good picture for my headache and skipped good shots because it was too much headach to switch glass for the 80th time.
Sounds like efforts for wildlife shots were a wash, even with the 55-300mm tele zoom lens. That kind of thing depends on luck, it seems. But I know what you mean. I was out and about with entirely different interests and expectations of the area I was visiting, when not far above the treetops an eagle came soaring and circling. I had to change lenses to get more tele, and got a shot or two off before the big bird disappeared. Not really enough time or opportunity to get an ideal shot. Sometimes, however, it is not necessary to get a wildlife closeup for an impressive result, but instead a capture within the context of a wider view of the scene, yet not too wide, in order to insure the wildlife's presence will be a feature of the composition. Other fine impressions of wildlife closeups generally require patients and the right equipment in a good setup, good lighting, and position for shooting... or darn good luck!

I do notice that most photos of this or other similar parks do not often contain wildlife, but are centered around scenic views. And even those that do are more often of wildlife used to having people around and are taking their time, even hanging around near the road. Hopefully, not being fed!

It is of course important to have friends and/or family in many compositions to show their presence within the context, and the fine time had by all.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-26-2022 at 01:01 AM.
03-26-2022, 08:00 AM - 2 Likes   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Sounds like efforts for wildlife shots were a wash, even with the 55-300mm tele zoom lens. That kind of thing depends on luck, it seems. But I know what you mean. I was out and about with entirely different interests and expectations of the area I was visiting, when not far above the treetops an eagle came soaring and circling. I had to change lenses to get more tele, and got a shot or two off before the big bird disappeared. Not really enough time or opportunity to get an ideal shot.
I realize it's not ideal in the OP's situation, but this is exactly why I carry two cameras when out on a photo journey. What you intend to be shooting and what opportunities present themselves are not always one and the same. In the past couple of weeks that's been the K1 and 15-30, and a K3III and DFA150-450. In the past it's been a pair of K-70's, one for macro and one with a *300 or other telephoto.

If I didn't carry two cameras there are so many shots I would have missed. That doesn't even consider a whole lot more sensor cleaning because of lens changes in the field.
03-26-2022, 10:11 AM - 4 Likes   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree two bodies is optimum if one is going on a photo walk. I just purchased a two camera harness system just for those opportunities. I am fortunate in that my family doesn’t mind if I get up and out alone and early in the morning to take time for planned images and scenes, as long as I don’t wake them up .

The OP seems to be going on a trip with family where photography is secondary to family fun.

For that , the 16-85 is the best walk-around choice but depending on family plans, he might scout a few locations while out hiking and be able to return later when time, conditions and lens are better for a great image , like a sunrise or sunset from an overlook when wildlife is active, etc.
03-26-2022, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote

For that , the 16-85 is the best walk-around choice but depending on family plans, he might scout a few locations while out hiking and be able to return later when time, conditions and lens are better for a great image , like a sunrise or sunset from an overlook when wildlife is active, etc.
This is perfect for Bryce. Take that ulra-wide angle and tripod for the sunrise. The sunset is prime family time. That lens and tripod can stay packed the rest of the trip. I did something similar on my trip to the Lake Superior north shore.
03-26-2022, 02:46 PM - 2 Likes   #41
Veteran Member

I have 2 KP bodies. Since they are quite compact, I could see myself possibly taking out one with the DA 20-40mm Ltd, and the other with the DA 55-300mm HD WR. And of course, my DA 15mm Ltd continues to live in the front accessory pocket of my camera belt case.

When it comes to wildlife, however, one could go out on a nature hike and never have a decent wildlife shooting opportunity, while lugging extra gear "just in case". OTOH, I think of how many times I've not been able to grab the opportunity for that "special shot" because I left the needed equipment behind. But I did get many other special shots. Depends on priorities, I guess. In my case, the fine shots offered of scenes in these parks, and comments from those with that experience, along with what kind of carrying works best for me, would be my overall guide as to what I would choose to take.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-26-2022 at 02:55 PM.
03-27-2022, 04:42 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Have you thought of a more dedicated macro option (i.e. your DA 35 Macro Limited)? You may end up not using it, but if you should encounter something that requires it, you'll be glad you brought it. Would also double as an excellent standard prime and hence add more versatility to your kit than the DA 40 Limited. Just my two bits.
Thanks!! Serious considering that option. Need to see what fits in my carry-on backpack.

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I agree two bodies is optimum if one is going on a photo walk. I just purchased a two camera harness system just for those opportunities. I am fortunate in that my family doesn’t mind if I get up and out alone and early in the morning to take time for planned images and scenes, as long as I don’t wake them up .

The OP seems to be going on a trip with family where photography is secondary to family fun.

Yes, if I had the space I would take both my K-5 IIS and KP, but I really can only take one body (plus my compact 1" sensor P&S as a backup). But I will try to fit in my compact tripod!!

Thank you all for your comments -- so grateful for the guidance!!
03-29-2022, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #43

Hello everyone -- I'm headed off to Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks in early April for my family's spring break trip. Never been there before....
I want to know what other lenses to take.
(1) How important is a WR lens in these parks?.
(2) Should I take a longer zoom lens?

Thanks!
-Brian
I just got back from a week-long trip to the 5 National Parks in Utah. I took a HUGE number of pictures with my K-1ii. I'm still getting the best ones printed. Most of my shots were with my wide angle (20-35mm Pentax) and my fisheye (12mm). I never had trouble with wind or dust. I did have "trouble" with things being so close and large that I needed my widest lenses (the 12 and the 20-35). The super wide also helped me get close enough to the various things that I could keep the other people out of the shots. When I went the parks were CROWDED and many vistas were "ruined" (in my view) by all the people. With the wide and super wide, I was abl to get in front of the rest of the people and still get the shot.

I took very few shots with the telephoto, for example, when I shot the Delicate Arch, as I am not in the greatest shape, so I took the path that was across the canyon from the arch. I still got a good set of shots of it, but it did take my 100-300 Pentax.

So in order of the # of shots that I ended up printing for my hallway (wife calls it my gallery), it would be the 20-35, then the 12, then my 28-105, and then my 100-300. Remember, these are all for a full frame K-1ii.

I went with a tour group (small groups) over 5 days and it was fantastic. If you've not already made your reservations, you can PM me (?) and I'll tell you the company I used.
03-29-2022, 07:54 AM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I visited both parks last year (May 2021). I used a K70 with a DA 16-85mm mostly. IMO it was the perfect lens for those places. I found that going extra wide was not all that beneficial. The beauty of these places is the detail and variation in the rock formations and changing light. You tend to lose some of that with wider angles, so I like to zoom in a little to capture it. Zion is in a canyon with not many expansive views (there are some though). Bryce is more open with some wider views, but there again you don't want to lose the detail of the hoodoos, I also carried the DA 55-300mm PLM for wildlife. There is a good amount of wildlife in both parks. I also took the Rokinon 14mm but never used it. Additionally, I had the DA18-55mm and the DA 55-300mm (non plm) with me as backups which I used the 18-55mm after I stumbled and broke the 16-85mm later on in the trip at Mesa Verde National Park. Most important part is to have fun and just enjoy these beautiful natural places.
Careful there. Camera and one modest zoom lens - bit radical.
03-29-2022, 08:03 AM   #45

Zion and Bryce are very different in its expanse. Most look outs for Zion is looking upwards, while most look outs for Bryce are looking downwards. What said, unless you plan to get into Bryce, a 24-70 zoom (for full frame) would do just fine for a majority of the imaging. If you have a wider lenses I am sure you'd be using them on occasion.