Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2022, 01:46 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Regarding ferries, we're still undecided. I see the main options as Gjerdmundshamn and Tørvikbygd, but I honestly have no clue which would give us the best route/views of the fjord. What would you suggest? We can also drive a bit more far out if any other crossing spot is more worth it!
If you cross the fjord at Gjerdmundshamn, you will be close to Rosendal which is regarded as a nice place to visit.

I dont know if Baroniet is something that is interesting: Baroniet Rosendal Manor House & Gardens

Rosendal has also a hotel and I for myself would have stayed there rather than finding a hotel in Odda :-)

If you take Tørvikbygd, you can stop in Norheimsund along the road and take a short walk behind the waterfall there: Steinsdalsfossen Waterfall | Sightseeing | Norheimsund | Norway

03-28-2022, 01:55 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What does your tokina weigh?
03-28-2022, 03:15 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What does your tokina weigh?
About 650 g, give or take. It's not *too* heavy.

---------- Post added 03-28-22 at 03:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
If you cross the fjord at Gjerdmundshamn, you will be close to Rosendal which is regarded as a nice place to visit.

I dont know if Baroniet is something that is interesting: Baroniet Rosendal Manor House & Gardens

Rosendal has also a hotel and I for myself would have stayed there rather than finding a hotel in Odda :-)

If you take Tørvikbygd, you can stop in Norheimsund along the road and take a short walk behind the waterfall there: Steinsdalsfossen Waterfall | Sightseeing | Norheimsund | Norway
Unfortunately, the Baroniet Rosendal is closed due to the pandemic, at least until July. Buuut Steindalsfossen just got added to the list of stops, thanks a lot for the suggestion

Last edited by Serkevan; 03-28-2022 at 03:26 PM.
03-28-2022, 09:09 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Is there a Pentax DFA 70-300mm on the horizon?

03-29-2022, 12:43 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Is there a Pentax DFA 70-300mm on the horizon?

one should ask Chuck Norris, he knows the answers and to questions that have not yet been asked

Last edited by mbukal; 03-29-2022 at 12:51 AM.
03-29-2022, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 28-105 will be the daily driver for sure
Excellent choice ! Last time I visited California and Arizona, most of my pictures were taken with my K1 + DFA 28-105 mm ED combo. A longer telephoto may be useful for landscapes 10 - 15 % of the time.

03-29-2022, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #22

Photos: Gallery
I have a few comments, but not so much on lenses because I can’t remember exactly what I used in 1985 (see below for my guesses). I did use an Olympus OM1n film SLR with Kodachrome 64 and some 25 for June (since given to my brother for astrophotography- I switched to Pentax film, then K10D, then K3). I also had gone to Norway in January a few years earlier, which was quite different but still great- I worked on my cross country skiing.

The thing about Norway is that almost every place is exceptionally beautiful. Walking, taking boats or trains, or just staying put are much preferred to driving IMHO. You will likely want to stop the car constantly or will simply miss most of the beauty.

I spent three weeks there with my wife in the summer of ’85 and went from Olso by train and boat to Bergen, and then picked my way north, moving slower and slower, until finally taking a ferry to the Lofoten Islands (Svolvaer). I have many wonderful photos and so does my wife. We sometimes argue good-naturedly about who took which shot.

I think I had a good 50 mm, a 35 mm, and a 135 mm, all Zuiko, but I’m not positive about the wide and tele focal lengths.

We took the coastal steamer back to Bergen and have great shots from that, too.

The people were wonderful. Enjoy your trip!

03-29-2022, 03:16 PM   #23

Hello there!
I'll be in Norway for six days next month, on a road trip (we're flying to/from Bergen). Obviously, that means we'd probably need advice on not only photography but the trip itself... So, my question is not one, but two. Three, actually.

A) Route tweaks/suggestions, as we are still finalizing the planning. Our idea is to make our way to Ålesund, then drive back down to Bergen. Key spots so far should be:
-Day 1. Take car from Bergen, arrive in Odda in the afternoon/early evening and sleep there (any suggestions on beautiful views of Hardangerfjord? We'll cross by ferry)
-Day 2. Hiking near Odda. Driving to Voringsfossen, then overnight in Gudvangen.
-Day 3. Road trip towards Jostedalsbreen Nasjonalpark, with a stop in Borgund. Overnight probably in Olden or Kjenndal
-Day 4. Sightseeing in the park, driving to Geiranger, overnight in Geiranger.
-Day 5. Sightseeing near Geiranger, driving to Ålesund.
-Day 6. Drive back from Alesund to Bergen. Is Ålesund worth it for half a day? It might be interesting to spend another night in Geiranger/Kjenndal instead.

B) Hiking/activity suggestions. Not sure how we'll do stuff, we're mostly going to enjoy nature. If there are any must-sees do let me know!

C) Okay, on to the mettle. Lenses. I have a decent selection, but I also have more doubts than I expected. Camera is the K-1, for reference.

List of available lenses: Irix 11 Blackstone (WR). Pentax-M 20/4. DFA 28-105 (WR). FA 43 and 77. DA 55-300 PLM (WR). Tokina AF 70-210/4.5. Tripod is available but I might have to buy a sturdier one (I have a small Manfrotto Compact Advanced).
-How important is WR? I don't expect we'll be hiking in snow/bad weather, so I figure I'll keep the non-WR lenses in a backpack until needed.
-Which lenses would you take? I'd consider all of them just leaving the 70-210 behind, I should have enough space. But I'm not sure the FA Limiteds are needed. I figure I'll want to shoot stopped down anyway, and the WR zooms would definitely reduce lens changes etc.
-Filters. I have a reverse grad (for sunsets) and a light pollution in the way of square filters (which I guess won't be much needed?). They anyway don't fit the 11mm, so I'm inclined to leave them.
-Do I splurge and buy the DFA 21 earlier than expected, just to sub in the M-20/4 ?

Thanks a lot in advance for all the help!

About the route, just be aware in your planning that speed limits are insanely low and enforcement extremely strict
03-29-2022, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
We decided to stay another night in Jostedalsbreen and drop Aalesund from the planning - which frees up a bit more time for Geiranger as well (and slashes almost 20% off of the driving time).

QuoteOriginally posted by maurizm Quote
About the route, just be aware in your planning that speed limits are insanely low and enforcement extremely strict
We've calculated an average of 50-60 km/h for most roads, which feels fair considering the roads and the terrain. I'm used to slow roads, where I'm from you can't quite shift to fourth gear for the first 15 km or so

I'm aware that the same trip length in the US (or most places in Europe) would have taken less than half the time. In fact, I crossed Spain side-to-side a couple months ago and we did a whopping 200 km more than the route we have planned, in something like 12 hours... and now we're counting on 21 hours of driving, not counting the numerous stops that we'll surely take along the way.

In fact, I'll keep count. I bet we won't ever go 30 minutes without stopping for a pretty view .
03-30-2022, 03:49 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chemrat Quote

I spent three weeks there with my wife in the summer of ’85 and went from Olso by train and boat to Bergen, and then picked my way north, moving slower and slower, until finally taking a ferry to the Lofoten Islands (Svolvaer).

Wow! That's where I live....
03-30-2022, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello

Welcome to Norway, next month. You did not mention when you will be here, but be aware of snow and ice, you might need snow/winter tires, and importantly that Trollstigen is current winter closed, that is the road to Geiranger from Åndalsnes, as well as some of the other mountain crossings. Check this page for info: Routes closed in winter | Nasjonale turistveger where also you can find info on when the roads normally opens during the spring. Photo below is the village of Geiranger in July, Pentax K-3 and 16-50mm F2.8, the other photo is from the top of Trollstigen, at the Trollstigen Café.

Ålesund is worth a visit, for sure. The jugend style old town is so pretty. But as others have commented, traveling in Norway takes time, plenty of places to stop. Below is also a photo of Ålesund, taken from the viewpoint above the town.

Gear to bring: I love to always have my 300mm F4, 16-50, 50-135, 100mm macro handy.

Looking forward to seeing images from Norway, enjoy your trip!

Cheers, Baard-Einar

Hello there!

I'll be in Norway for six days next month, on a road trip (we're flying to/from Bergen). Obviously, that means we'd probably need advice on not only photography but the trip itself... So, my question is not one, but two. Three, actually.

A) Route tweaks/suggestions, as we are still finalizing the planning. Our idea is to make our way to Ålesund, then drive back down to Bergen. Key spots so far should be:
-Day 1. Take car from Bergen, arrive in Odda in the afternoon/early evening and sleep there (any suggestions on beautiful views of Hardangerfjord? We'll cross by ferry)
-Day 2. Hiking near Odda. Driving to Voringsfossen, then overnight in Gudvangen.
-Day 3. Road trip towards Jostedalsbreen Nasjonalpark, with a stop in Borgund. Overnight probably in Olden or Kjenndal
-Day 4. Sightseeing in the park, driving to Geiranger, overnight in Geiranger.
-Day 5. Sightseeing near Geiranger, driving to Ålesund.
-Day 6. Drive back from Alesund to Bergen. Is Ålesund worth it for half a day? It might be interesting to spend another night in Geiranger/Kjenndal instead.

B) Hiking/activity suggestions. Not sure how we'll do stuff, we're mostly going to enjoy nature. If there are any must-sees do let me know!

C) Okay, on to the mettle. Lenses. I have a decent selection, but I also have more doubts than I expected. Camera is the K-1, for reference.

List of available lenses: Irix 11 Blackstone (WR). Pentax-M 20/4. DFA 28-105 (WR). FA 43 and 77. DA 55-300 PLM (WR). Tokina AF 70-210/4.5. Tripod is available but I might have to buy a sturdier one (I have a small Manfrotto Compact Advanced).
-How important is WR? I don't expect we'll be hiking in snow/bad weather, so I figure I'll keep the non-WR lenses in a backpack until needed.
-Which lenses would you take? I'd consider all of them just leaving the 70-210 behind, I should have enough space. But I'm not sure the FA Limiteds are needed. I figure I'll want to shoot stopped down anyway, and the WR zooms would definitely reduce lens changes etc.
-Filters. I have a reverse grad (for sunsets) and a light pollution in the way of square filters (which I guess won't be much needed?). They anyway don't fit the 11mm, so I'm inclined to leave them.
-Do I splurge and buy the DFA 21 earlier than expected, just to sub in the M-20/4 ?

Thanks a lot in advance for all the help!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-31-2022, 10:45 AM   #27
Pentaxian

My suggestion is 28-105 and your 55-300mm. I used to shoot a lot of wide-angles but I find with hiking and exploring I generally like something smaller lighter and ideally WR. I also shoot a lot more telephoto nowadays when sightseeing because you are generally at some overlook or place that has a beautiful distant scenery but boring parking lot or crowds nearby. If you really like the wide angle POV, I would suggest your irix or the m-20mm.
04-28-2022, 10:10 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello there!
How was your trip?

I see in the news today that mountain roads are soon opened. Only a week or two left

No opnar turistvegane: ? Fire meter høge brøytekantar ? NRK Vestland
05-07-2022, 02:03 AM - 3 Likes   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
How was your trip?

I see in the news today that mountain roads are soon opened. Only a week or two left

No opnar turistvegane: ? Fire meter høge brøytekantar ? NRK Vestland
Hey there!
Sorry about the delay, I came back from Norway and into a massive work crunch .
It was an absolutely beautiful environment and the people were lovely, though most of the photos will need editing because I had to underexpose a lot for the snow - I'd also like to whip out a post like I did for my trip to India a couple years ago.

Here are some SOOC shots in the meantime - basically everything is taken with the Satobi profile. Lenses are mostly 28-105, then several shots with the FA 43, and a couple here are with the Irix 11.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
05-08-2022, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The second shot is a real keeper! They are all quite interesting but that one grabs me.