Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2022, 05:08 PM   #16
Pentaxian

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/9ka9kAYHmkynOshaJCIwPw

---------- Post added 03-28-22 at 05:08 PM ----------

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/dBYu1wdFBXLk6LJwqRlZ_g

---------- Post added 03-28-22 at 05:09 PM ----------

https://m.bilibili.com/video/BV1CU4y1d7pS?p=1&share_medium=android&share_pla...ique_k=hyyi567

03-28-2022, 06:24 PM - 3 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have to say, the lens produces nice sunstars:

FUJIFILME GFX100S + LAOWA 20mm F4.0

The lens rotational adapter is very interesting - I can't say I have ever seen anything like it for 35mm cameras.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-28-2022 at 06:30 PM.
03-29-2022, 07:22 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

I do wonder if shift lenses have become a solution in search of a problem. It's pretty easy to correct the type of distortion that comes from not having the sensor parallel to the subject in post processing. It's nice to see K mount lenses being made by third parties again though.
03-29-2022, 07:36 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I do wonder if shift lenses have become a solution in search of a problem.
They do have a purpose albeit an rather niche one: panoramic stitching without pesky parallax problems and optical shift can be used to augment existing methods and thus enhance image quality. DPR has a review of it, and their sample images have me a little concerned about the image quality there is a LOT of astigmatism and aberrations showing up when shift is being used on 35mm cameras.

03-29-2022, 08:55 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
They do have a purpose albeit an rather niche one: panoramic stitching without pesky parallax problems and optical shift can be used to augment existing methods and thus enhance image quality. DPR has a review of it, and their sample images have me a little concerned about the image quality there is a LOT of astigmatism and aberrations showing up when shift is being used on 35mm cameras.
I normally just let the computer figure it out. Normally it does a pretty good job. It does help to know where the rear nodal point is, but generally the software does a pretty decent job.
This was, IIRC, 5 exposures with an A15/3.5 on the K1

03-29-2022, 09:56 AM   #21
Pentaxian

They do have a purpose albeit an rather niche one: panoramic stitching without pesky parallax problems and optical shift can be used to augment existing methods and thus enhance image quality.
You have two things happen with stitching: significant loss of resolution at the edges for rectilinear projection (can totally cancel the gain of resolution relative to a single frame, or worse), close foregrounds difficult to stitch seamlessly especially with wide angle, and rotation of the plane of focus which makes image stitches not the same a single exposure with a rectilinear lens.
03-29-2022, 09:58 AM   #22
Pentaxian

+ stitching is very bad for long exposures as the light changes between frame (e.g sunsets, blue hour exposures), and hard to predict with moving scenes such as coastal waves at medium slow exposure times.

03-29-2022, 10:29 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I do wonder if shift lenses have become a solution in search of a problem. It's pretty easy to correct the type of distortion that comes from not having the sensor parallel to the subject in post processing. It's nice to see K mount lenses being made by third parties again though.
Doing it in post in an abysmal workflow that makes taking the right photo very difficult and unsatisfying. A shift lens is a niche lensbut useful for those that benefit from them. In photography workflow is very important if time is of any concern.

I would argue lenses longer than 135mm is a solution in search of a problem because with contemporary high resolution sensors you can just crop in... and no one should use that level of magnification anyway. Or am I missing something with a statement like that.
03-29-2022, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Doing it in post in an abysmal workflow that makes taking the right photo very difficult and unsatisfying. A shift lens is a niche lensbut useful for those that benefit from them. In photography workflow is very important if time is of any concern.

I would argue lenses longer than 135mm is a solution in search of a problem because with contemporary high resolution sensors you can just crop in... and no one should use that level of magnification anyway. Or am I missing something with a statement like that.
Well, my workflow for the above image was to load 5 files into Photoshop and press a couple of buttons.
I'm not sure where this is an abysmal workflow.

I won't speak to what you are missing with your last statement, though I expect you know full well what you are doing. You are conflating two completely separate things as one and using that conflation to set up a strawman argument.
03-29-2022, 12:11 PM   #25
Pentaxian

In DXO viewpoint, correcting keystone effect is quite annoying, and the crop required might be bigger than anticipated. I don't use Adobe stuff, maybe Photoshop does it better.
03-29-2022, 12:26 PM   #26
Pentaxian

For instance, the blown high-lights in the panorama you posted above, could have been seen and avoiding with a single exposure.
03-29-2022, 12:27 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I have to say, the lens produces nice sunstars:

FUJIFILME GFX100S + LAOWA 20mm F4.0

The lens rotational adapter is very interesting - I can't say I have ever seen anything like it for 35mm cameras.
Hello,
i am surprised you can take such a picture on Fuji Medium Format : has the file been cropped ?
03-29-2022, 12:42 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well, my workflow for the above image was to load 5 files into Photoshop and press a couple of buttons.

I won't speak to what you are missing with your last statement, though I expect you know full well what you are doing. You are conflating two completely separate things as one and using that conflation to set up a strawman argument.
I was talking primarily about the on site workflow. It's really very hard to frame for and understand the effect of diagonal shift on a particular scene or even just understand exactly what will form the edge of your frame after a keystone correction. Landscape vistas are not particularly sensitive but when photographing architecture your framing needs to be on the pixel. It's all about controlling exactly the content in the frame and it's just not doable when you can't view the geometry. For compositions that aren't very difficult or constrained it may be doable. Building in field kind of thing. In any complex urban situation the amount of stuff in the frame you need to control the exact position of is very challenging even with shift gear.

The tele vs shift comparison isn't bad at all if you think it through.
03-29-2022, 01:09 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Hello,
i am surprised you can take such a picture on Fuji Medium Format : has the file been cropped ?
Diagonal of the 33x44 sensor: 55mm.

Image circle of the Venus Optics Laowa 20mm f/4 Zero-D Shift: 65mm.
03-29-2022, 02:00 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I was talking primarily about the on site workflow. It's really very hard to frame for and understand the effect of diagonal shift on a particular scene or even just understand exactly what will form the edge of your frame after a keystone correction. Landscape vistas are not particularly sensitive but when photographing architecture your framing needs to be on the pixel. It's all about controlling exactly the content in the frame and it's just not doable when you can't view the geometry. For compositions that aren't very difficult or constrained it may be doable. Building in field kind of thing. In any complex urban situation the amount of stuff in the frame you need to control the exact position of is very challenging even with shift gear.

The tele vs shift comparison isn't bad at all if you think it through.
And you are moving the goal posts yet again if you think about it.

Thanks for reminding me why I had you on ignore for so long though.
Bye again.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 03-29-2022 at 02:06 PM.