Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2022, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pinhole Pro Max available for K mount

New pinhole zoom lens kickstarter. Will also be available for the K mount.

Pinhole Pro Max: World's Most Advanced Pinhole Lens by Thingyfy ? Kickstarter

That let me think, with some pixel shift and sharpen AI, I may be able to get sharp pinhole images.

03-30-2022, 05:05 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the suggestion. Did anyone use the other Thingyfy lenses on Pentax?

With long exposures PS may have unexpected results unless everything is deadpan still in the frame. Even then I wonder whether it would be sharper. Perhaps it would still be interesting though, I can't tell.
Initially I thought the small sensor size made it uninteresting. I've seen really beautiful work with large format pinhole, 4x5 or 8x10.
Here's a pinhole picture with a modified Agfa Isola 6x6:

Much better work is displayed here: https://fujilove.com/pinhole-photography-with-the-fujifilm-x-t1/

Last edited by Smolk; 03-30-2022 at 05:44 AM.
03-30-2022, 05:59 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote

That let me think, with some pixel shift and sharpen AI, I may be able to get sharp pinhole images.
... or you could just use one of the lenses you have already??
03-30-2022, 06:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
Thanks for the suggestion. Did anyone use the other Thingyfy lenses on Pentax?

With long exposures PS may have unexpected results unless everything is deadpan still in the frame. Even then I wonder whether it would be sharper. Perhaps it would still be interesting though, I can't tell.
Initially I thought the small sensor size made it uninteresting. I've seen really beautiful work with large format pinhole, 4x5 or 8x10.
Here's a pinhole picture with a modified Agfa Isola 6x6:

Much better work is displayed here: Pinhole Photography With The Fujifilm X-T1 | FUJILOVE MAGAZINE
I have the other 3 lenses. I was getting excited when I got the mail in my inbox, then I saw the price. and I was like, no thanks.

the other 3 are fun to use from time to time.

03-30-2022, 07:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Besides the cool factor, what's the point ? Can't one obtain the same low-res, faded, unfocused look in postproduction ? I'm asking genuinely, is there some part of that look that cannot be replicated by software ? (As it is the case, for instance, of the effect of a polarizing filter in some scenes ?)
03-30-2022, 07:27 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
I have the other 3 lenses. I was getting excited when I got the mail in my inbox, then I saw the price. and I was like, no thanks.

the other 3 are fun to use from time to time.
What do you see through the viewfinder? Such a small aperture, it must be challenging to see anything, but I've never used one on a DSLR.
03-30-2022, 08:32 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by simon_199 Quote
Besides the cool factor, what's the point ? Can't one obtain the same low-res, faded, unfocused look in postproduction ? I'm asking genuinely, is there some part of that look that cannot be replicated by software ? (As it is the case, for instance, of the effect of a polarizing filter in some scenes ?)
AFAIK is everything "in focus" (the amount of blur depends on the size of the hole) with a pinhole lens, so you need an image with little differences in sharpness across the frame when you want to simulate this look.
It is certainly doable in post, but I usually prefer getting unique looks like this out of camera without much pp work.

I don't own a pinhole lens yet, but I have been tempted before.
It will certainly be no everyday lens, but from time to time it should be fun to use

03-30-2022, 08:35 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kind of like using carved wood tires on a Corvette. The car runs great and the ride is "different" but................
03-30-2022, 02:47 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by simon_199 Quote
1.Ultra-wide angle with minimal geometric aberrations
2.Depth of field from 1cm to infinity
3.Being closer to God*

* - #3 requires making the hole yourself, and using a shoebox and photographic paper in place of a camera.

Last edited by Pentaxxoid; 03-30-2022 at 02:53 PM.
03-30-2022, 04:47 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxxoid Quote
1.Ultra-wide angle with minimal geometric aberrations.
While there are only minimal geometric aberations, it won't be a ultra-wide angle lens on a DSLR because of the longer flange focal distance; a mirrorless camera is needed to take advantage of this characteristic
03-30-2022, 11:37 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
What do you see through the viewfinder? Such a small aperture, it must be challenging to see anything, but I've never used one on a DSLR.

You see almost nothing to nothing. So you use live-view. But if it is too dark or so. You first do the composition with another lens, then you put the pinhole on it. Yes using pinhole does slow you down.
03-31-2022, 09:34 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have all three of the previous pinhole lenses. I would be interested in this one if the price wasn't outlandish. With the three I have, I can get by just fine.
04-01-2022, 08:22 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Denver Quote
I have all three of the previous pinhole lenses. I would be interested in this one if the price wasn't outlandish. With the three I have, I can get by just fine.
That was my thought aswell.

---------- Post added 04-01-22 at 08:23 AM ----------

Pinhole Photography

here are pics I took with any of the three previous lenses
04-02-2022, 07:37 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote

Is it just me, or does calling a 'pinhole' a 'lens' seem like an oxymoron??..
04-03-2022, 11:42 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
Is it just me, or does calling a 'pinhole' a 'lens' seem like an oxymoron??..
Yes, you are right, your comment made me smile