Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2022, 09:03 PM   #31

Original Poster
I've had the 18-135 for a week now and am pretty happy with it. Attached is a pic I took at the weekend, it was in very poor light but the combo of my new K-70 and the 18-135 turned out some decent results.
Just one question, the zoom seems quite loose, if I have it out at 135 and tilt the camera towards the sky the zoom collapse back to 18, is this normal for this lens?

Attached Images

04-21-2022, 01:45 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My 18-135mm collapses about 1cm in this situation, no more. Is the lens new or 'pre-owned' (wonderful euphemism)?
04-21-2022, 04:05 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bauie Quote
Just one question, the zoom seems quite loose, if I have it out at 135 and tilt the camera towards the sky the zoom collapse back to 18, is this normal for this lens?
None of mine does this, nor do they extend when carrying them pointed down, known as 'zoom creep', which is however mentioned occasionally with the 18-135mm and can be considered 'normal' as long as the inner tube doesn't have too much play. I own three of them, because the first one had an residual drying mark on the front lens after having been submerged together with me in a lake (still going strong on permanent loan to my daughter), the 2nd was dropped in a not too well padded case and now doesn't always focus correctly on the wide end and I did not have time to wait for a repair, so I got my 3rd. I was lucky, as it seems to be the best of the bunch IQ-wise by a small margin, and was sold locally for likely less than a Pentax service center repair of the 2nd ...
04-21-2022, 03:13 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bauie Quote
I've had the 18-135 for a week now and am pretty happy with it. Attached is a pic I took at the weekend, it was in very poor light but the combo of my new K-70 and the 18-135 turned out some decent results.
Nice shot! This condition is "normal" for a used lens that has been fairly often carried hanging via a strap around the neck or shoulders, which can gradually develop "zoom creep" due to the constant effects of gravitational pull. I've had my DA 18-135mm WR lens for over 10 years now, and it is still without any issue. Just like new- no zoom creep. However, though I also often carry mine via a strap across my shoulders, it is in a holster-type case with its strap across my shoulders. This way, the camera has better protection, while it and the lens are secured from stress. I often also employ the belt loops in addition to the strap to distribute and stabilize the weight. I simply draw out the camera when ready to use it, then return it back into the case.

Some lenses have a zoom lock, but not many. The Pentax RE lenses are retracted for carrying for a much more compact design, and locked into that position.