Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
04-01-2022, 08:05 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd really go for something wider for touring in towns and cities with an APS-C body. When I used to do a lot of traveling with my ME Super, my 28mm became my go to lens, and I often wish I could back up a few more feet than I could. I'd really look for something that was in the 16-18mm range on the wide end. The Sigma 17-70 is a nice lens, as is the DA 16-85. They would both be on my short list as an all around travel lens on that body. The 16-85 gets the nudge for WR, the zoom turning the correct direction and a little wider range, but the Sigma is nice too (I have both).

04-01-2022, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Last time I visited California and the American Southwest, I drove over there with my Grand Caravan Van. I brought my Pentax K1 with an FA 20 mm f/2.8, a DFA 28-105 mm f/3.5-5.6, an FA* 80-200 mm f/2.8 and an FA* 300 mm f/4.5. I also had my Pentax 645Z with an FA 45-85 mm f/4.5 and FA 80-160 mm f/4.5 and a Canon G3X superzoom. I used the K1 + DFA 28-105 mm 85 % of the time with great success.

FA 20 mm f/2.8

DFA 28-105 mm f/3.5-5.6

FA* 80-200 mm f/2.8

FA* 300 mm f/4.5

645Z + FA 45-85 mm f/4.5

Canon G3X superzoom

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 04-01-2022 at 10:46 AM.
04-01-2022, 02:46 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DFA 28-105 is a great lens for sure. On the K-1, I'm usually petty happy using f5.6 across the range (Ok ideally stopping down to f8 at 80mm - 105mm). All assuming the focus is right of course.
Even at 28mm at f3.5 it is very usable. However I find, at least for my copy, that f8 is (on average across focal range) the sweet spot and going to f11 is still very good but not quite as good as f8.
04-01-2022, 07:55 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Virtually any lens will be at its best at a certain aperture setting, usually in its mid-aperture range. Most Pentax models have long had their MTF settings for shooting in P mode, so the camera will take advantage of this to set the best quality aperture when lighting permits. However, that does not mean poor quality at other apertures. Also, most lenses, even of the best quality, will usually not be as good for resolution at the frame edges as in the central area. Then, zoom lenses, even the best, are commonly not at their best when zoomed to the extremes of their zoom range. Degree of importance of all this depends on how picky is the individual, what kind of viewing and to what size will be the images used, and what kind of shot the lens is being used for. The DFA 28-105mm is at its best when used on the K-1 or K-1 II, for which it is designed. It can then deliver higher resolution (36mp) compared with a similar shot from the same distance on APS-C (24-26mp max) with a shorter zoom lens, also of very good quality.

Since the OP is interested in zoom lenses for travel, and with a K-x body, the DFA 28-105mm would simply not be ideal for this purpose, as would other options. If using the K-1 or K-1 II, that is a different story. Since this lens being considered seriously is with its shortest 28mm FL, whether the optional lens to be considered comes with either a 16mm or 18mm short end is rather a minor factor. Then getting into prime lenses is a whole other ball game, and the question of why comes even more to mind, as then we are talking about the prospect of even more lens-changing on the trip.

The very versatile DA 18-135mm is a fine performer, capable of very fine quality imaging, and would be perfect to get the most shots with fine results, while keeping lens-changing to an absolute minimum. It is virtually the ideal travel lens. Its AF is superior- one of the best- a big factor, especially with older cameras, and performs exceptionally well even with these older camera bodies, advancing their AF capabilities considerably. Despite its exceptional zoom range, it is relatively compact to go with a compact camera body, yet it is very well built. It has a very good record for QC, most often getting a perfect lens right out of the box, a better record than has the DA 16-85mm lens, which is a very good lens when getting a good copy, but which also is more expensive and significantly bulkier, yet does not have the extended telephoto range.

In one case, I shot a parade situation with the DA 18-135mm lens on my K-5 IIs. I got shots coming up the street from the bottom of a hill. Some of these were at or near the maximum 135mm to compress distance some, where this lens has been measured and evaluated to be at its worst- no surprise. Lighting was bright daylight. Yet these images turned out surprisingly good upon viewing on my high-resolution computer screen. Near frame edges which had measured in lab tests at this FL to be at the absolute worst, were actually not blurry as one would expect them to be. Upon using my controls for a blow up, I could read the parking signs near the edge very clearly- a pleasant surprise, as was the overall very good outcome of the scene. Other images came out great indeed. I could get groups in some shots, and instantly zoom in on an individual in other shots, all with fine quality. Then as they were near the edge of town and marched into the countryside, I could get a good part of that in to include the marchers in a landscape shot.

Lab tests have shown resolution to be in the excellent range in the frame's central area until well into the tele range where it is still very good to excellent. Edges of frame are very good at shorter FLs through 50mm, and even a very small stopping down boosts that performance. As zoomed farther into the tele range, the frame edge sharpness gradually diminishes, but is generally of less interest anyway. Also, very capable of delivering impressive closeups, with bokeh that is quite good. A very impressive performance, especially for a compact lens of such zoom range.

A few years ago, I upgraded to a KP from my K-5 IIs, though I still sometimes use that body. Of course I regularly use my KP with my DA 20-40mm Ltd, sometimes pairing it with my DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, as well as also using some Limited primes, and other top-quality lenses. It did not surprise me that the improvement in IQ from the KP, compared to images from my K-5 IIs, is a visible improvement when using these top-level lenses. Not huge, but visible. However, when I needed the zoom range of my DA 18-135mm, I did not hesitate to employ it on my KP. Another unexpected pleasant surprise was, the KP's improved imaging over those taken with the K-5 IIs was still visible with this lens!

Some have reported zoom creep with this lens. I've not had this problem, but then I do NOT carry it with my camera hanging around my neck. I draw the camera out of my holster-type case when I'll be using it to shoot. The zoom action is as perfect as it was over 10 years ago when it was new.

Last edited by mikesbike; 04-01-2022 at 08:59 PM.
04-02-2022, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I concur that the DA 18-135 mm ED lens is indeed a great performer. I got a perfect copy almost 2 years ago and used it intensively in 2021. Apart from some Color Fringing visible in high contrast backlighting situations (less than 5 % of my pictures), the lens' focal range is very useful, colors, contrast and flare resistance are all first rate. I paid my like-new used copy less than 200 $ on eBay.

04-10-2022, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #21

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I've now ordered a 18 - 135 lens and that will be the one I take overseas.

I probably should start a new thread but I'm thinking about upgrading my 10 year old K-x to a K70. The K70 has about twice the MegaPixels than the K-x. Would this make a demonstrable difference or is it not worth upgrading the K-x? I do like the size and handling of the K-x. It looks like the K70 is quite a bit bigger.
04-10-2022, 07:28 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Alla I know about the K70 is that it is susceptible to the aperture block solenoid failure (ABF), like the K30, K50 and K01 before it. Another option might be a used flagship camera, K5/K5ii/K5iis or the k3 series. They don't have that particular weakness. I myself have a K5iis that I'm very pleased with. The 18-135mm is a great travel lens. I usually alternate between that and the 18-250mm, depending on whether I need WR or not.

04-10-2022, 05:22 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I went from a K-x to a K-50 (which eventually suffered the dreaded aperture block failure) to a K-70. I found the K-50 a big upgrade on the K-x with weather sealing and twin control wheels, and the K-70 and even greater upgrade. I do live in anxiety of aperture block failure with the K-70, but I had both the K-x and K-50 about 3 years each between upgrades, and the K-50 lived on another year working fine after purchasing the K-70, and there does seem to be some association between the aperture issue and lack of use.
It's unfortunate that the KP has been discontinued as there's a huge price difference between the K-70 and the K-3 III.
That said, you can buy 3 K-70s for less than the price of one K-3 III, and I'll have had mine 3 years later this year, so far with no issues, and it's even taken a few tumbles. The aperture block issue is repairable if it occurs as well, and apart from that concern, the K-70 is a very capable camera for the price.
04-11-2022, 07:25 AM   #24

Original Poster
Excuse my ignorance but what is this "aperture block solenoid failure (ABF)"?
04-11-2022, 08:29 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In some Pentax cameras, the aperture lever in the camera is operated by a solenoid, and in some camera models this solenoid is prone to failure. The worst afflicted models appear to be the K30, K50, K-s1, K-s2 and the K70, all of them low-end to mid-range models. The flagship models use a different method to operate the aperture control, and does not have this problem. For the record, I have both the K30 and the K50, and none of mine have failed so far (knock on wood!).
That's probably why some people on this forum (me included) recommends a used flagship camera over a new model that does have this problem. For the record, the K70 does not appear to have this problem to the same degree that the earlier models did.
04-12-2022, 11:28 AM   #26

Original Poster
My 18-135 arrived today. Only had time to take a few quick tests shots, at f8 I'm pretty happy. I'll do a full test at all the apertures in a few days to find its optimum aperture. One thing I noticed is how fast and quiet the autofocus is compared to my plastic mount 18-55 DAL.
Once again, thanks to all for your replies.
04-12-2022, 12:46 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Glad for you ! You should like it a lot as it is very versatile. According to the extensive tests I did, f/11 should be the optimal aperture, although f/8 to f/16 should provide excellent pictures. Also you should upgrade your camera body, maybe a used K3 would be the best choice (24 Mpx, sturdy construction, good viewfinder, 200 000 cycle shutter, built-in flash). I used this combo almost exclusively in 2021 with great success and pleasure.

Best Regards

04-12-2022, 01:48 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When space, weight or time are a constraint, I'm always picking the 18-135mm because of it's excellent balance between range, image quality and size/weight, also on my KP. Some of our best large prints at the walls have been taken with the 18-135mm.

As to the 2nd question: Upgrading from a K-x is well worth it, because with one of the modern cameras, even the 18-135mm will allow you to take handheld shots at high ISO indoors, which would be a lot noisier on the K-x. I don't hesitate to use my 18-135mm wide open, it is excellent in the ~24mm-35mm (actual FL/not equivalent) range. Any of the cameras starting from the K-5 (notably K 5, K5 II, K3, K3 II, K70, KP) will give you a lot cleaner images than the K-x and also progressively refined in-camera JPEG processing, if you're interested in JPGs instead of DNG/PEF files. With the help of the in-camera signal processing, the K-70 and KP would allow you to take images at about 3 full steps higher ISO (3200 instead of 400 - the D3100 should perform similarly as the K-x) with the same level of detail as the K-x delivers. But of course, that doesn't prevent you from taking excellent photographs with what you have - the single most important factor is behind the camera :-)
04-13-2022, 10:17 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great choice, getting your DA 18-135mm! You'll find it a fine performer, especially even stopped down a little. Plus one for the KP. A beautiful camera, pro-build in a still compact form, with great controls and exceptional imaging, even right out of the camera JPEG shots. Just be sure to set up "Fine Imaging" in the Custom Image menus (same also with any Pentax).
04-20-2022, 09:03 PM   #30

Original Poster
I've had the 18-135 for a week now and am pretty happy with it. Attached is a pic I took at the weekend, it was in very poor light but the combo of my new K-70 and the 18-135 turned out some decent results.
Just one question, the zoom seems quite loose, if I have it out at 135 and tilt the camera towards the sky the zoom collapse back to 18, is this normal for this lens?
Attached Images