Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2008, 11:08 AM   #1

Noob that could use some advice

I will be taking some shots of my girlfriend college basketball game with my k200d and lousy kit lens... i am wanting to know if anyone has recommendations for white balance, iso, setting for a flourescent gym...

Thanks in advance

12-14-2008, 11:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Unless you have some really good seats, you may find the reach of the kit lens to be too short to get any good shots. On top of that, since youre inddors, an aperture of f/5.6 may be too small to get shutter speeds fast enough to freeze the action. I would recommend investing in a fast constant aperture (f/2.8) telephoto lens, but if all you have is the kit, I would shoot RAW and crank that ISO up as high as possible.
12-14-2008, 11:42 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kthung Quote
Unless you have some really good seats, you may find the reach of the kit lens to be too short to get any good shots. On top of that, since youre inddors, an aperture of f/5.6 may be too small to get shutter speeds fast enough to freeze the action. I would recommend investing in a fast constant aperture (f/2.8) telephoto lens, but if all you have is the kit, I would shoot RAW and crank that ISO up as high as possible.
i do get to sit right on the floor so when the girls are near me i can get good shots... i was worried about the large minumum f value like you said... i will probably get some decent still shots, but like you said i probably wont be able to shoot anything faster than 1/60 with the large f value... thanks a lot. i will be purchasing a lens just for these scenarios, any hints???
12-14-2008, 12:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

What's your budget?

12-14-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
White balance you can easily fix after the fact by batch processing if you shoot in RAW/DNG. Your biggest problem is going to be that lousy f5.6 at the "long" end. Not just because of the high ISO and low shutter speeds it is going to force on you. Probably make AF work harder as well.

How about a used Tamron 28-75/2.8? Should be able to find one in the $200~250 range.
12-14-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by seymourpentax Quote
i will probably get some decent still shots, but like you said i probably wont be able to shoot anything faster than 1/60 with the large f value... thanks a lot. i will be purchasing a lens just for these scenarios, any hints???
Step one would be to practice some with the kit lens and maybe a cheap telephoto zoom if you have access to one (like the DA 50-200) to see what kinds of focal lengths you want. Then you can decide which "fast" lenses make the most sense. My guess is, while 50mm will sometimes be useful you'll often be wanting something longer. The DA* 50-135 is the obvious choice here, unless you find that 135 isn't long enough. I suspect it would be if you be reasonably close to the action - a basketball court isn't *that* big - but if not, then one of the 70-200/2.8 zooms form Sigma or Tamron are the obvious choices.

Or, go the cheap route and buy some manual focus primes, like a 50, 100, and/or 135 - you could get all three for *well* under half the cost of any of these zooms. Of course, you have to convince yourelf that you could focus fast enough to follow the action, but people did it for years...
12-14-2008, 03:47 PM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

You need to go both longer and faster, shoot in RAW, you can then tweak WB in PP later.
12-14-2008, 03:59 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Step one would be to practice some with the kit lens and maybe a cheap telephoto zoom if you have access to one (like the DA 50-200) to see what kinds of focal lengths you want. Then you can decide which "fast" lenses make the most sense. My guess is, while 50mm will sometimes be useful you'll often be wanting something longer. The DA* 50-135 is the obvious choice here, unless you find that 135 isn't long enough. I suspect it would be if you be reasonably close to the action - a basketball court isn't *that* big - but if not, then one of the 70-200/2.8 zooms form Sigma or Tamron are the obvious choices.

Or, go the cheap route and buy some manual focus primes, like a 50, 100, and/or 135 - you could get all three for *well* under half the cost of any of these zooms. Of course, you have to convince yourelf that you could focus fast enough to follow the action, but people did it for years...
thanks for the input... i am going to purchase a good fast zoom lens after christmas... im just looking for the best one for around $750 or lower... i get to be as close as 10 feet from the girls when they are on my side of the court and no more than 50 feet away when they are near the other sideline so that is the approximate focal length but i want a fast lens to take some freeze shots! i have been playing around with the kit lens, taking some panning photos... do you recommend a nice fast 2.8?

12-14-2008, 04:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

with a $750 budget, I would look into either the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 or the Pentax DA* 50-135 f/2.8, both of which are constant f/2.8 and offer internal focusing motors which are faster and quieter. Between the two, I think I would choose 50-135 since it is easier to crop shots if 135 is too short, but if 70 isnt wide enough, you can't move back as easily. Another consideration is where else you might use this lens. It isn't very economical to say that you would just be using this lens for basketball games. If you do more wildlife shots as well, the sigma + a 1.4 TC might serve you better. If you are into portraits, the 50-135 would be a good choice.
12-14-2008, 04:23 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll second the vote for the DA* 50-135. It is one of the best lenses I have ever owned.