Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2008, 09:10 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Simple: The correct term for a fixed focal length lens is "fixed focal length" lens.
Jargon is commonplace and acceptable as long as the target group understands it. The term prime is commonly used in photography to mean a fixed focal length lens. I'd be very surprised if anyone on this board doesn't know what "prime" means in this thread.

12-15-2008, 10:05 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Both.

Like most things in life, I don't think this is an either/or matter. There are benefits to using both in different situations, at least for me.
12-15-2008, 10:33 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Simple: The correct term for a fixed focal length lens is "fixed focal length" lens.

A variable focal length or zoom lens might very well be someone's main or "prime" lens.

This question was settled long ago in Usenet photo forums. (Is anyone here old enough to remember newsgroups?)
IIRC the term "FFL" was sometimes used to avoid confusion - it's even shorter than "prime"!

Chris
Yeah, like anything was ever "settled" in a newsgroup.

I always enjoyed alt.waste.time

Pretty much everyone knows what is meant by "prime" lens. It is one grade above "choice."
12-15-2008, 10:42 AM   #34

Prime, all the way.
See the sign,
can't wait the DA 15mm Limited.

12-15-2008, 11:18 AM   #35
Pentaxian

I prefer small, reasonably fast lenses in the focal lengths I use most often. Oh, and that have good IQ and are affordable. While in theory this doesn't rule out zooms, there is certainly nothing out there right now that can compete with my 28/40/100 prime set that cost me all of about $300.

In situations where I have the luxury of shooting f/8 - like if I know I'm only going to be shooting outside in the sun - I will use my 18-55 and/or 50-200 zooms, as these also are small, have decent IQ at that aperture, and were affordable. But if I'm going back and forth between indoors and out - in other words, in most situations - I prefer the flexibility of having f/2.8 available over the flexibility of having more focal lengths available or the convenience of AF. And again, to work within my desire to be small and affordable, that means my primes.
12-15-2008, 11:56 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My pleasure! Reading this forum you'd think "prime" was the correct term.
Does anal retentive have a hyphen?
12-15-2008, 01:07 PM   #37

Hello,

I use primes 90% of the time, and zooms (Sigma 50-200, 70-300 and Pentax 35-105) the remaining of the time ... But, definitively, i prefer the primes, especially my old Takumars (and my Limiteds) ...

Best regards
12-15-2008, 01:25 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Like most things in life, I don't think this is an either/or matter. There are benefits to using both in different situations, at least for me.
Very true. I alternate between *primes* and *fixed focal length lenses* constantly

12-15-2008, 01:39 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My pleasure! Reading this forum you'd think "prime" was the correct term.
If it was just this forum, maybe your objection would have merit, but everything I read online uses the them "prime" lenses. I'm sure everyone knows what "fixed focal length" means, but I think a lot of people would not understand the abbreviation FFL without an explanation. So are you out to change the world, starting with us?
12-15-2008, 01:51 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
Very true. I alternate between *primes* and *fixed focal length lenses* constantly
well then half the time you're uptight, and the other half you're wrong.

I'm not saying which is which...
12-15-2008, 04:25 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Perhaps most of the discussions of this matter took place before you were old enough to read.
Google the terms in question and you will find extensive references.

More often than not you guys say "Tammy" when what you really mean is Tamron, and "Bigma" when what you really mean is Sigma.
If I was a newcomer to this forum not familiar with your jargon I'd be confused as hell!

If you don't want to use the correct term, that's your choice, but don't then tell me you're right.
And call me anal if you like, but by now I think you're the ones beating the dead horse...

Chris
When in doubt, toss out the age-based insult if you can play that card.

I doubt that any photographer with any experience would be confused by a reference to a prime lens, especially in the context of juxtaposition with the term "zoom." I've never used the terms "Bigma" or "Tammy" (other than just then) so I can't speak to that. But "prime" is pretty clear-cut, and the only people that might be confused are *very* old school people who haven't been on the interwebs before. "Correct" changes with time...language and terms of art evolve. Sorry if that is depressing to you old codgers

And btw, if you google prime lens, beyond the first wikipedia entry, all the hits discuss it in terms of a FFL rather than "main" lens (ie how the term was used here). If however you google FFL, you get entries on Federal Firearms License. So maybe there is ambiguity there as well...
12-15-2008, 04:28 PM   #42
Site Supporter

Primes and zooms

I started with zooms, as I suspect many people do, but now mostly use primes, especially the FA Limiteds, for anything up to 100mm. The one zoom I continue to use frequently is the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8.
12-15-2008, 04:33 PM   #43
Veteran Member

More often than not you guys say "Tammy" when what you really mean is Tamron, and "Bigma" when what you really mean is Sigma.
To be precise, "Bigma" is the nickname given to the Sigma 50-500mm lens, and not a substitute name for the brand. "Tammy", on the other hand, is a pet-name given to Tamron.

For some reason "Sigmy" never took off...
12-15-2008, 04:40 PM   #44
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just pulled an actual book of the shelf by John Hedgecoe and looked up prime lens in the glossary.
QuoteQuote:
Prime Lens- Nonzoom lens with a single fixed focal length.
That is out of The New Manual of Photography (2003). While he doesn't use the term much in the book, he did include it in the glossary. He is 71 years old. I don't see the problem with referring to telephoto, "normal", wide and ultra wide fixed focal length lens as prime lens. There is certainly no reason to be crass about it.
12-15-2008, 04:41 PM   #45
Veteran Member

I am a zoom guy, but I use the prime (soon to be primes) because of the lightweight of it for walkabouts and the like. But if I am shooting a destination, then I let the environment choose which lens to use. Outdoor soccer, gets the DA*200 and theDA*50-135. Indoors gets the DA*16-50 or the DA35LTD, wildlife gets the DA*300 and so on and so on...