Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
New lens, new shots!

09:10 PM on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

There is some flair in this picture. Something to worry about?

12-14-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't think theres much you can do about it when shooting directly at a light source. It looks much better than my sigma 24-70. When that thing flare's just the whole picture looks washed out
12-14-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah, I would probably throw the lens out if it's behaving that badly. It belongs right in the waste bin!

Of course I'm kidding, just go out and shoot with it
12-14-2008, 05:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
Yeah, I would probably throw the lens out if it's behaving that badly. It belongs right in the waste bin!

Of course I'm kidding, just go out and shoot with it
Actually, I'll take it.

12-14-2008, 05:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Definitely a defective lens. You should send it to me so I can check it out for you.
12-14-2008, 11:47 PM   #6
Syb
Site Supporter

Original Poster
What a great forum this is...

Wow, it is always amazing to see how friendly and helpful this forum is. So far a hundred per cent of the posters (including me) is willing to check this lens out.... fix it, buy it... If I would have been afraid to be stuck with it, I am no more!

Thanks guys!?

12-15-2008, 12:32 AM   #7
Raylonn

QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
Wow, it is always amazing to see how friendly and helpful this forum is. So far a hundred per cent of the posters (including me) is willing to check this lens out.... fix it, buy it... If I would have been afraid to be stuck with it, I am no more!

Thanks guys!?

Haha, yes I am completely new to photography and in college with no money and no lenses except for the kit one, so I'd also be glad to take a look and figure out the "problem"!
12-15-2008, 03:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hey Syb,

you will get this behaviour typically at night with bright spotlights.

Just like kthung said, a bad flare-lens will do the 'wash-out' 'milky-haze-all-over-the picture' thing. I'd rather call this behaviour straylight prone. Yours doesn't, it actually looks quite flare resistant.

Then, you have total and partial lens reflexions (like yours) and ghosting (when you would see the bright lamp spot symmetrically reflected onto the other side of the pic). Reflections like yours can not be elmininated completely, so you can provoke this behaviour in any lens. I see your pic has been taken with f/2.8. The reflections might go away when stopping down, and increase with filters put on. AFAIR the reflections will always come on an axis from the light source, through the lens center onto the other side of the pic. Note that on cropped pics you can not tell were the original center was.

Provoked lens reflection from Revuenon/Cosina 55/1.2 on K100D f/1.2(?)

The spindle: Contax Planar 1.7/50 + polarizer on K100D f/8(?)

Good reads:
The Wiki lensflare page
UFO pics :-)

All the best,
Georg (the ghostbuster)

Last edited by georgweb; 12-15-2008 at 03:27 AM.
12-15-2008, 03:22 AM   #9
Syb
Site Supporter

Original Poster
@georgweb:
So I understand this provoked flare pic of yours is a crop?
Or has this person - although out of sight in normal view - sneaked in with the flare?

My car mirror does the same flare thing, btw. (I sometimes see ghost cars in it. All of a sudden they can become real. So now I believe in ghosts.)
12-15-2008, 03:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Syb,
no, the guy was really there on the lamp post.

The flare does not mean you could not see anything else behind it.

It is no crop, just looked it up. See the bright spot from the lamp center and the bright spot on the other side, same place on an axis through the center.

Georg (the other)
12-15-2008, 02:49 PM   #11
Syb
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow, that spindl shot is great as well...
01-19-2009, 08:36 AM   #12
Syb
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Somehow the man who does the light reminds me of Obama. Maybe I'm just Obama-minded these days.
01-19-2009, 01:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

That glare is not too bad at all. I know some people really love to incorporate glare into their images. That lens copes with the light source not too badly. Better than other * lenses
03-18-2009, 07:45 AM   #14
Syb
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Did you notice that on Flickr there is a group on "first series with new lenses?" In which, new, of course means: new to the owner. So doesn't matter if the lens is second- third- tenth hand, if it is new to you, it is great.

I started the group there, because I was curious to see what people shoot to test their equipment. Clearly the testing is more important than the subject then. Sometimes...

Here is the link...