Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 39 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2022, 06:25 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got mine pre-packed by Ricoh/Pentax with a new K-1 II from B&H in the Fall of 2020. I got a great deal, the price reduction for the camera of some USD $450 off the original price, and another near $100 off the lens compared to buying it separately. Clearly a bargain for what you get. I took this bargain to get into a FF system mainly due to my having some top-tier FF lenses, and I have been delighted with the performance I've been getting. I consider the price of this lens for its quality of build, features, and imaging capability to be a bargain, even at its full price, such has been my experience with it. I have used it numerous times because of its modest size and its versatility, and it has invariably delivered outstanding results!

In fact, just yesterday we had a cold but clear day, so I went to a very pleasant waterfront area, where there were people, pets, waterfowl, and an occasional passing freighter. I used the DFA 28-105mm for numerous shots, all coming out superbly. In reviewing these, just for example, while shooting in the"P" mode, ISO 100 in good lighting, the shot was taken zoomed nearly all the way- to 88mm, and at f/5.6, which is wide open. Shutter speed was 1/125 sec. Yet the subject was very crisp and sharp, and I can even see such clarity of detail in the grass below, as to count the individual blades! Normally, this setting at the zoom extreme and wide open would be at the lens's weakest performance! And this was true for every shot! No way can I be otherwise than extremely pleased. If I don't actually need the f2.8 from my shorter, heavier, excellent-performing constant aperture zoom lens, why should I not use this very convenient, lighter but well-built, versatile alternative?

Last edited by mikesbike; 04-18-2022 at 06:33 PM.
04-19-2022, 07:46 AM - 2 Likes   #17

Photos: Gallery
Portmeirion by night

Here is one I took in Portmeirion last Summer, with the 28-105 on my K1ii.

This is a hand held shot taken at 1sec and f/4.5.

Any lack of sharpness is simply my handshake with the 1 sec exposure !

Peter
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
04-19-2022, 10:33 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I got mine pre-packed by Ricoh/Pentax with a new K-1 II from B&H in the Fall of 2020. I got a great deal, the price reduction for the camera of some USD $450 off the original price, and another near $100 off the lens compared to buying it separately. Clearly a bargain for what you get. I took this bargain to get into a FF system mainly due to my having some top-tier FF lenses, and I have been delighted with the performance I've been getting. I consider the price of this lens for its quality of build, features, and imaging capability to be a bargain, even at its full price, such has been my experience with it. I have used it numerous times because of its modest size and its versatility, and it has invariably delivered outstanding results!

In fact, just yesterday we had a cold but clear day, so I went to a very pleasant waterfront area, where there were people, pets, waterfowl, and an occasional passing freighter. I used the DFA 28-105mm for numerous shots, all coming out superbly. In reviewing these, just for example, while shooting in the"P" mode, ISO 100 in good lighting, the shot was taken zoomed nearly all the way- to 88mm, and at f/5.6, which is wide open. Shutter speed was 1/125 sec. Yet the subject was very crisp and sharp, and I can even see such clarity of detail in the grass below, as to count the individual blades! Normally, this setting at the zoom extreme and wide open would be at the lens's weakest performance! And this was true for every shot! No way can I be otherwise than extremely pleased. If I don't actually need the f2.8 from my shorter, heavier, excellent-performing constant aperture zoom lens, why should I not use this very convenient, lighter but well-built, versatile alternative?
That's just it. If you don't need f/2.8 - or you aren't so bothered by a variable wide aperture when zooming (I probably didn't phrase that well but you know what I mean) - then this is an absolutely brilliant lens.

If I were doing something else that required a faster lens or required consistency in wide apertures when zooming, then that would be another story. But since I am photographing at f/8 most of the time, I don't come anywhere close to needing that.

Like you, I purchased the lens for less than the typical new price. Mine was a little above $300 used.

This is nice and light, great image quality, and has solid weather sealing, which I need for windy nights in the desert.

I have not typically photographed zoomed in all the way, but that's good to hear that it is good and sharp even then!!

---------- Post added 04-19-22 at 10:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by peedeecee Quote
Here is one I took in Portmeirion last Summer, with the 28-105 on my K1ii.

This is a hand held shot taken at 1sec and f/4.5.

Any lack of sharpness is simply my handshake with the 1 sec exposure !

Peter
Holy crud! This is handheld for one second and it's this sharp? You are a human tripod!!
04-19-2022, 11:21 AM - 2 Likes   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken Lee Quote
That's just it. If you don't need f/2.8 - or you aren't so bothered by a variable wide aperture when zooming (I probably didn't phrase that well but you know what I mean) - then this is an absolutely brilliant lens.

If I were doing something else that required a faster lens or required consistency in wide apertures when zooming, then that would be another story. But since I am photographing at f/8 most of the time, I don't come anywhere close to needing that.

Like you, I purchased the lens for less than the typical new price. Mine was a little above $300 used.

This is nice and light, great image quality, and has solid weather sealing, which I need for windy nights in the desert.

I have not typically photographed zoomed in all the way, but that's good to hear that it is good and sharp even then!!

---------- Post added 04-19-22 at 10:34 AM ----------

Holy crud! This is handheld for one second and it's this sharp? You are a human tripod!!
No, Ken, I'm just a common biped.

But I do like leaning against walls !

Peter

04-19-2022, 11:27 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I have a lens and I am satisfied, especially with the speed and reliability of the focus, but, but Pentax has not at all alternative to compare with, an alternative in the form of eg DFA 24-125 / 3.5-5.6 or DFA 28-105 / 4 ~ 125/4, so we are either satisfied with this or we have no other alternative and a parallel comparison is impossible, to me my current combination K1 + DFA 28-105 / 3.5-5.6 is just about everything better than the previous K3 / 30 / m / x / r + DA 17-70 / 4 + especially from even worse Sigma 18-125 / 3.5-5.6 DC

Last edited by mbukal; 04-19-2022 at 11:36 AM.
04-19-2022, 11:44 AM   #21

Pentax 28-105mm: greatest cheap lens you don’t know about?

I forgot to add that if you don't need the WR, then there is another great 28-105 which is REALLY cheap !
The Sigma 28-105 UCIII (make sure it is the UCIII version !)
Like some others here I got mine bundled with an old Pentax film camera for a very low price and it's performance is quite remarkable. Check it out on the 3rd Party Lens Reviews pages.
Having said that I did still buy the DFA 28-105 when Amazon had it on special offer !

Peter
04-19-2022, 02:45 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mbukal Quote
I have a lens and I am satisfied, especially with the speed and reliability of the focus, but, but Pentax has not at all alternative to compare with, an alternative in the form of eg DFA 24-125 / 3.5-5.6 or DFA 28-105 / 4 ~ 125/4, so we are either satisfied with this or we have no other alternative and a parallel comparison is impossible, to me my current combination K1 + DFA 28-105 / 3.5-5.6 is just about everything better than the previous K3 / 30 / m / x / r + DA 17-70 / 4 + especially from even worse Sigma 18-125 / 3.5-5.6 DC
So there you have it, even better imaging than the DA 17-70mm on a K-3, with better AF and WR. As to having a 24mm-??? design, that would have been nice, as it could then also be useful on APS-C bodies, offering some wide angle. However, it seems the idea here is a very versatile lens while keeping the zoom range within certain limits in order to maximize performance. With an extended zoom range, there will be more compromise as to performance. It would be a good thing to see a forthcoming high-performing, well-made 100-300mm f/3.5-5.6 WR, or perhaps even a high-performing 70-300mm WR lens, either could be well-built but fairly compact for the range. I have my very old Sigma 70-300mm DG APO lens, which is fairly satisfying, but it is not WR, and it seems optical designs have advanced by now to make possible such a lens of superior performance.

Such a lens would match well with the DFA 28-105mm WR lens, while preserving superior quality throughout. I have top-quality tele primes, which I value highly, the DA* 200mm f/2.8 and FA* 300mm f/4.5, but it would be a useful alternative for easier portability to have a very good zoom lens covering this range and in between the 100-200mm region.

04-19-2022, 02:49 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eye.n.Eye Quote
This lens is an excellent combination of cost, size and sharpness.

However, I think any discussion of this lens should note its Achilles heel, its susceptibility to shutter shock on the K1. The worst speed is 1/100, where it has the most shutter shock of any lens I've ever tested. To avoid it completely I skip the range of 1/40 to 1/320.

If you always carry a tripod and can use electronic shutter its a non-issue, but as a day time walk-around lens, I've always found this a frustrating limitation. Its a shame, because its optical performance is genuinely impressive for its size and cost.
Shutter shock was certainly an issue on my K1 + DFA 28-105 when I first got them. I had a number of examples between 1/100 and 1/200 sec, which provoked me to swap my standard working mode from P to TAv and avoid that range. Somehow, the weight or construction of the lens was just in a resonant sweet spot. Even lighter lenses – such as the DA 40 Limited for Pete's sake! – had no such problem.

I posted about the issue a few years ago, and it seems some users had a similar experience but others didn't.

However, I haven't seen the issue for some time. Perhaps my K1 shutter has "worn in" in some way, or maybe my technique has improved. I should go out and take some shots in the offending range just to make sure, as I haven't been looking for it.

Anyway, shutter shock with the DFA 28-105 doesn't seem to be an issue for everyone.
04-19-2022, 03:02 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I have FA80-320 / 4.5-5.6 silver (80-200mm/f4,5) I would like Pentax to make DFA70-320 / 4.5-5.6 ED PLM WR (70-200mm/f4,5) ,optical-mechanical quality / speed and determination AF as DFA28-105 / 3,5-5,6

Last edited by mbukal; 04-19-2022 at 03:18 PM.
04-19-2022, 07:50 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by peedeecee Quote
No, Ken, I'm just a common biped.

But I do like leaning against walls !

Peter
Same here. I will sometimes press the camera against a post or fence if I can.

---------- Post added 04-19-22 at 07:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mbukal Quote
I'm glad it's working out. It just so happens that it is about perfect for my needs.

---------- Post added 04-19-22 at 07:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Shutter shock was certainly an issue on my K1 + DFA 28-105 when I first got them. I had a number of examples between 1/100 and 1/200 sec, which provoked me to swap my standard working mode from P to TAv and avoid that range. Somehow, the weight or construction of the lens was just in a resonant sweet spot. Even lighter lenses – such as the DA 40 Limited for Pete's sake! – had no such problem.

I posted about the issue a few years ago, and it seems some users had a similar experience but others didn't.

However, I haven't seen the issue for some time. Perhaps my K1 shutter has "worn in" in some way, or maybe my technique has improved. I should go out and take some shots in the offending range just to make sure, as I haven't been looking for it.

Anyway, shutter shock with the DFA 28-105 doesn't seem to be an issue for everyone.
Thanks. Sounds like one of those head-scratchers. Hopefully it's not due to poor QC.
04-19-2022, 09:46 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

Just took a bunch of shots with the K1 + DFA 28-105 at 1/100 sec and 1/125 sec, and no sign of shutter shake today. Hand held, SR on.

1/125, f/6.3

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 04-20-2022 at 03:08 PM.
04-20-2022, 03:37 AM   #27

Totally agree, it’s a fantastic lens. I just picked one up for my K1 and I’m really loving it as a good walk around lens.
New prices here in Australia are around $900+ but I found one brand new on eBay for $595. I don’t want to give away my secret supplier but if you’re in Oz you should look into “dcxpert” on eBay. They must be an outlet for Pentax Australia as everything I’ve ever purchased has come direct from CR Kennedy who are the Australian distributors.
04-20-2022, 05:21 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Douggie M Quote
Totally agree, it’s a fantastic lens. I just picked one up for my K1 and I’m really loving it as a good walk around lens.
New prices here in Australia are around $900+ but I found one brand new on eBay for $595. I don’t want to give away my secret supplier but if you’re in Oz you should look into “dcxpert” on eBay. They must be an outlet for Pentax Australia as everything I’ve ever purchased has come direct from CR Kennedy who are the Australian distributors.
Yes dcxpert are CR Kennedy's online store, and often have excellent prices - I just bought a K-70 body through their ebay store for AU$720 (ebay were running a 17% discount).
04-20-2022, 07:54 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K1 II with DFA 28-105

I often need a longer lens, but today, this was perfect. Bluebonnets.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
04-20-2022, 02:45 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Just took a bunch of shots with the K1 + DFA 28-105 at 1/100 sec and 1/125 sec, and no sign of shutter shake today.

1/125, f/6.3
Beautiful shot!

---------- Post added 04-20-22 at 02:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by skolkmeier Quote
I often need a longer lens, but today, this was perfect. Bluebonnets.
Very nice!

---------- Post added 04-20-22 at 02:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
I couldn't have said it better ! A few images taken with the K1 + DFA 28-105 mm ED.

Marvelous imaging!