Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
04-16-2022, 10:42 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I never heard about problem like that.

I have large number of lenses with plastic mounts and never had any issues with using them.
The oldest one is probably silver FA 100-300 , so it is rather biggish lens , still going well and strong.
All my Nikon Z lenses have plastic mounts , also some Fuji,
all of them are doing well.
I am very careful and precise while changing lenses.

04-17-2022, 02:34 AM - 8 Likes   #17

Original Poster
Humble apologies

Hello.
I have to offer my most humble apology for my ridiculous thread and I do feel somewhat embarrassed I have to say.
There is nothing wrong with the plastic lens mount. The black specks are coming from the worn Pentax strap. The inside of the strap is made of some sort of velveteen material which is quietly falling apart.
So I guess what my thread should have said was " worn Pentax straps should be replaced as soon as possible".
That is unless someone has a good idea to treat the strap in some way to clear the muck. It's just as important to be careful when changing any lens really that this muck does not get inside the camera.

PS Is there any way to either remove this thread or at least change the title please administrator?
04-17-2022, 02:49 AM - 5 Likes   #18
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rojogannon Quote
Hello.
I have to offer my most humble apology for my ridiculous thread and I do feel somewhat embarrassed I have to say.
There is nothing wrong with the plastic lens mount. The black specks are coming from the worn Pentax strap. The inside of the strap is made of some sort of velveteen material which is quietly falling apart.
So I guess what my thread should have said was " worn Pentax straps should be replaced as soon as possible".
That is unless someone has a good idea to treat the strap in some way to clear the muck. It's just as important to be careful when changing any lens really that this muck does not get inside the camera.

PS Is there any way to either remove this thread or at least change the title please administrator?
Well done in isolating the problem, and thanks for letting us know the cause

You've no need to apologise or be embarrassed - and if I may suggest, this is actually a worthwhile thread for the forum. You aren't the first person to experience a perished strap that sheds bits, and you won't be the last (I've had it happen to me too). This thread serves to remind others that their straps may be the source of such detritus, but also reassures those who own plastic-mount lenses that there's rarely any problem with them.

If you really don't want the thread to exist, you could contact the moderators using this form - but personally I think it's worthwhile leaving it in place, and it's certainly no cause for embarrassment on your part
04-17-2022, 02:54 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Hello.
Haha
One of my Pentax-original straps is deteriorating quite badly, the Chinese-made O-ST53 on my K-5, though it's not a velveteen material but a 'leatherette' trim which is breaking up.
The Philippines-made O-ST53 on my K200D however is still perfectly serviceable, if a little grubby, though the materials it's made from are different.
As yet, my other straps (all Pentax-original) are continuing to function as intended.
Just wondering if we need a thread specific to camera straps

Glad you found the source of your problem and that it's not serious

04-17-2022, 04:11 AM - 1 Like   #20
Unregistered User

Thank goodness you didn't manage to get them made unlawful (I read your original unedited post).
04-17-2022, 04:49 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with @BigMackCam that it would be a pity to delete this thread. It epitomises why Pentax Forums is such a great community and resource.

You had a problem, got some thoughtful and considerate replies, and went back in light of that information and found the root cause.

Bravo. Everyone
04-17-2022, 06:02 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Good lesson about "not jumping to conclusions".

04-17-2022, 06:11 AM - 3 Likes   #23
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
Good lesson about "not jumping to conclusions".
Let's be honest, we've all done it
04-17-2022, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That’s as true a statement as you can get!
04-17-2022, 06:22 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Yes, I recently made a post in a thread where I incorrectly criticized non-SMC Takumars for not having any coating. I was quickly and politely corrected, and only a little embarrassed! Live and learn!
04-17-2022, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #26

Original Poster
ok thanks for all the support from you. Yes why not leave the thread alone after all it makes life a bit more interesting.
I was concerned however about falsely trashing the reputation of Pentax since deteriorating plastic lens mounts would be considered very poor quality whereas a deteriorating strap is less of a condemnation of quality standards. I would like to think that people would read a bit further than the first post.
04-17-2022, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #27

Replace the strap. There is no good way of restoring it. If you can't part with it because it says "PENTAX" on it, put it in a plastic bag and store it with your other forgotten treasures.
04-17-2022, 07:21 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would like to think that people would read a bit further than the first post.
If I might suggest, perhaps you could add a short explanation at the start of your first post in this thread.

- Craig
04-17-2022, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #29
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello.

bravo for following up on the investigation - and a second bravo for coming back and admitting the truth - that can be the difficult part...

you may consider having the thread closed?

for a solid replacement of your strap, you could consider one of the Peak Design options....
04-17-2022, 11:37 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I have had to get rid of most of my film era straps as well as the K10D one because of the plastic crumbling, what a mess. The only old one that has survived is for the Z1P.
I have a couple of OP/TECH USA straps that are 14 years old and still like new.