Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2007, 07:23 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skaktuss Quote
i've tested my prime at meny aperture sizes and i can say that k100 light metering is not very accurate. when aperture is wide open, after pressing ae-l result is bright and natural, but, for example, at aperture 16 picture is underexposed pretty much, so i have to turn wheel for 1-2 clicks. therefore the process is not so fast and easy.
The only correct way to use a manual aperture lens on the K10D body is to set the camera in M and when you want to get the correct exposure hit the "Green" button next to the shutter so the camera knows what aperature you have the lens set at. This information is buried in the manual so hopefully this helps you. Just played with this option last night by the way with a couple of lenses I dug out of my closet which was the 50mm 1.7 and the 28mm 2.8, they are so sharp and now have placed them into my bag for some super sharp shots.

03-15-2007, 09:00 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Codiac, and y'all, thanks for your comments. There is no green button on the K100D camera I have. Is the green button the equivalent of my AE-L button. Freddy
03-15-2007, 09:08 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Menu:

Custom Setting:

"AE-L bttn on M expsr" 2 (Tv Shift)
"Using aperture ring" 2 (Permitted)

Make sure you have those two menu settings. Choose "M" for your mode.

Select your aperture with the ring on the lens.

Focus.

Hit the AE-L button. The camera will close down the lens iris to your selected aperture, meter the light, and automatically set the shutter speed for you.

Shoot your picture.

If you later on get some "A" lenses, the process is much easier. Also much easier with screwmount lenses.
03-15-2007, 09:08 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fevbusch Quote
Codiac, and y'all, thanks for your comments. There is no green button on the K100D camera I have. Is the green button the equivalent of my AE-L button. Freddy

I'm not sure at all, but I know this and that in my ist Dl manual they did mention what to due, but at the time I only used auto lenses and never folled with it. My suggestion would be to dig through the manual... actually you know give me twenty minutes and I'll download the manual and see if I can figure it out because what I am brigging up was buried in my K10D book and should be able to find it buried in the K100D manual. BRB

03-15-2007, 09:15 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Page 188 of the manual states that you must trigger the optical DOF switch in order to get the correct settings in the camera for the f-stop chosen. Hope this helps and if you need anything don't be afraid to ask, just be very afraid lol.
03-15-2007, 11:50 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
The only correct way to use a manual aperture lens on the K10D body is to set the camera in M and when you want to get the correct exposure hit the "Green" button next to the shutter so the camera knows what aperature you have the lens set at. This information is buried in the manual so hopefully this helps you. Just played with this option last night by the way with a couple of lenses I dug out of my closet which was the 50mm 1.7 and the 28mm 2.8, they are so sharp and now have placed them into my bag for some super sharp shots.
I understand You, but I wanted to say that cameras light metering is not accurate. when You hit green (AE-L) button, camera chooses the shutter speed according to light, but i still have to increase it (1-2 clicks) to get normal non-underexposed picture.
example: i press AE-L (the same green b. on k10d), camera sets shutter speed to 1/80, but i have to set it to 1/60 or even 1/50, coz at 1/80 picture is too dark.
03-16-2007, 12:15 AM   #22
Veteran Member

The amount of exposure adjustment required varies by lens. My modern lenses (A, M, DA, FA) require none on the K100D while my M42 lenses all require a +1.5 in order to get the correct exposure.

03-20-2007, 06:13 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
If you later on get some "A" lenses, the process is much easier. Also much easier with screwmount lenses.
Really naive question: I can guess why it's easier with "A" lenses, but why on earth would screwmount lenses be easier? I don't doubt you, I just can't begin to imagine why it would be true.

Thanks!
03-20-2007, 06:35 PM   #24
clm

Less button pushing

Most screw mount lenses have a switch that can be set so that the aperture stops down manually as the aperture ring is adjusted. It is not necessary to push the green/AE-L button before each shot. They can also be used this way in Av mode.