Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2007, 04:01 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax 50mm M 1.7 lens pics

I shot the attached with manual focus, of course. I use the aperture ring at different adjustments, from F1.7 to F11 trying to get better depth of field. I don't seem to get much depth. Any suggestions? Freddy

Last edited by fevbusch; 04-02-2007 at 03:18 PM.
03-14-2007, 05:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fevbusch Quote
I shot the attached with manual focus, of course. I use the aperture ring at different adjustments, from F1.7 to F11 trying to get better depth of field. I don't seem to get much depth. Any suggestions? Freddy
Hi Freddy, the only piece of advice I can give is to move a bit further away. DOF increases with the distance from your subject, as well as its inverse relationship with the aperture. If you want to hold that distance and want greater DOF, you are going to have to increase your aperture above f11. That would probably mean a)tripod, b) flash c) better light on your subject or d) a combination of the above.

NaCl(hope that helps)H2O
03-14-2007, 06:11 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
What exposure mode did you use?

In AV mode, the camera won't stop down the lens. It doesn't matter what you set the aperture ring to, it stays wide open (f/1.7). Also, you will need to go into the Custom menu and set "Using Aperture Ring" to "Permitted". That way it will work in manual mode. All this is on page 186-166 in the K100D manual.

Hope this helps. The 50mm 1.7 is a great lens.
03-14-2007, 07:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Eggarard, I did make the aperture ring setting in Custom and also the FL S setting.
I did shoot with camera set to AV mode out of habit, even though the aperture setting doesn't show in the info screen. Which mode would I have to be in for aperture ring to be manually used and effective
Freddy

03-14-2007, 09:05 AM   #5
Inactive Account

You MUST be in M mode. Select the aperture you want on the lens. Press the Green button to get a "suggested" shutter speed. Shoot away....
This has been discussed before so search for some more information.
03-14-2007, 09:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Eggarard, I did make the aperture ring setting in Custom and also the FL S setting.
I did shoot with camera set to AV mode out of habit, even though the aperture setting doesn't show in the info screen. Which mode would I have to be in for aperture ring to be manually used and effective
Freddy
Hey Freddy,

With the M 50/1.7,Av mode will shoot with the lens wide open, and camera will adjust the shutter to try to get the proper exposure. The camera will be unable to read the Aperture setting and that is why you are getting a F-- displayed.
03-14-2007, 09:25 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Freddy
Hi Freddy, you have to be in "M" mode, otherwise the lens won't stop down. Here is the proceedure I use to shoot manual with the DS, I don't know how different the K100D is but it should be relatively similar.
Pre shooting settings:
1) Enable aperture ring (you've already done this)
2) Hook the back wheel to Shutter speed when in "M" mode. This allows you to change shutter speed without having to remove your eye from the viewfinder.
3)Set the program wheel to "M"
Shooting:
1) Set the aperture via the aperture ring. Compose and focus in the normal manner.
2)Hit the AE-L button, you will hear an extended click as the mirror flips up briefly, the camera stops down the lens and meters the light thru the aperture you've selected. If it's a narrow aperture your viewfinder will get darker. (the button that does this may be different on the K100D I don't know) I'm sure the K100D posters can give you the correct button to push.
3) Check the shutter speed in the viewfinder, if it's OK then you can take your photo, if it's too high or too low for you adjust the aperture via the lens ring and repeat #2 above.
It sounds a lot more confusing than it actually is. You will pretty quickly get the "hang" of judging the light pretty quickly and setting an appropriate aperture. I've only been shooting with manual lenses since January and I'm very nearly as quick with them as I am a fully automatic lens. For me now it's compose, focus, AE-L button, check shutter speed, take picture. Takes 5X longer to type it than it does to do it.

NaCl(Hope that helps)H2O

03-14-2007, 09:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi Freddy, I have a K100D and just figured out how to do this. You already have enabled the aperture ring, so just put the camera in M mode (manual), select the aperture you want on the aperture ring, then hit the AE-L button. The shutter speed will be set for you (you can see it change in the viewfinder and you will here a click)

Every time you change the aperture ring, press the AE-L button to set the shutter speed.

Hope this helps
03-14-2007, 10:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

course freddy.. u are discovered the down side of fast glass.. very shallow dof if u try and use that big lens opening..

good if u want it but a pain if u dont..

trog
03-14-2007, 10:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Hey Guys,

I went through my own threads and dug this up (I posted it on Jan 21?). See if you can follow this and correct me if I'm wrong.

QuoteQuote:
I'm using a common garden hose. I'm sure it's been used by several people.

The water going through it is your light.

The aperture would be like your trigger, squeeze it fully (big aperture) you get a stream. Squeeze lightly (small aperture) you get a trickle.

Now your shutter speed is controlled by how long you hold the trigger. if you squeeze quickly and fully, you are using a wide aperture and fast shutter. If you squeeze lightly and slowly, you are using a small aperture and slow shutter.

Different combinations will result in the different amounts of water being released. If you soak your grass for 15 minutes (long shutter) using a light squeeze of your trigger (small aperture), your lawn may not get a good soaking (under exposure). If you soak your grass for the same amount of time (long shutter) with a full squeeze (full aperture), you might lose some of your grass due to oversoaking (over exposure).
now to add to that analogy...but related to depth of field...you may get the same exposure using a big squeeze (large aperture) and a short stream of water (short shutter, and therefore, short depth of field) or a small squeeze (small aperture) and a long stream of water (long shutter, more depth of field).

Am I right?
03-14-2007, 12:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

yes basically.. your analogies take some understanding thow.. he he

as a gereral rule the larger the aperture the shallower the DOF.. the smaller the aperture the deeper the DOF

how much water your lawn needs depends on the weather..

trog
03-14-2007, 02:58 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all your comments, guys. Later on tonight I'll have a chance to work on your suggestions. Gee , I sure hope I can get this lens to work and focus better. It is a nice little lens with good color, etc. I'm gonna give it a shot and I'll let you all know how I make out. Freddy
03-14-2007, 06:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I Have that same lens but I have never used it since I purchased the K10D because I have the 50mm 1.4 and use it quite a bit now that I due some stock photography for work at the bar. I will go over your issues in the morning as well and see what results I come up with.
03-14-2007, 08:33 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by xfraser Quote
Every time you change the aperture ring, press the AE-L button to set the shutter speed.
Almost spot on, but also don't forget... Regardless of changing the aperture you should hit the AE-L button before every shot, especially if the light has changed (possibly moved something else into frame, maybe shadows have moved, etc)

I use my FA 50mm 1.4 most the time (always in Manual or Av), but all my other working lens are M's, so I tend to handle this process as second nature now. It really is quite simple once you get used to it and actually a little bit more hands on and rewarding.
03-15-2007, 12:27 AM   #15

i've tested my prime at meny aperture sizes and i can say that k100 light metering is not very accurate. when aperture is wide open, after pressing ae-l result is bright and natural, but, for example, at aperture 16 picture is underexposed pretty much, so i have to turn wheel for 1-2 clicks. therefore the process is not so fast and easy.