Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2022, 06:44 AM   #1
Forum Member

SMC PENTAX FA* 300mm F/4.5 paired with the SMC Pentax-F 1.7x AF Adapter.

I have a opportunity to buy a Pentax LX 35mm Camera. I already own a SMC PENTAX FA* 300mm F/4.5. I have searched this forum but cannot find anyone who states the 1.7 adapter worked with this lens.

Is there anyone who had or is having success with this particular combination?

Thanks in advance, James

04-27-2022, 08:21 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JamesDCrockett Quote
I have a opportunity to buy a Pentax LX 35mm Camera. I already own a SMC PENTAX FA* 300mm F/4.5. I have searched this forum but cannot find anyone who states the 1.7 adapter worked with this lens.

Thanks in advance, James
I have used it. I find it works reasonably well on my KP. It does need a lot of light.
04-27-2022, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Thanks in advance, James
It will work with the FA* 300 but it does not work with the LX so I wonder why you mention the LX in the question.
04-27-2022, 09:09 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
It will work with the FA* 300 but it does not work with the LX so I wonder why you mention the LX in the question.
Good catch! I missed that.

The 1.7x AutoFocus Adapter (AFA) is a different sort of teleconverter. It has to be set to a focus range and does do using the screw drive af of the camera body. It is hard to use with a non-autofocus camera. I have done it by setting the adapter and lens to the “rough” focus I needed using an autofocus body before moving it to another camera on a dumb adapter (m43 or Sony). I haven’t tried it on an old film body, but it should be possible… however it will be potentially cumbersome to use.

04-27-2022, 10:31 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Because you just taught me something. I incorrectly assumed since the LX is all manual, the AF adapter would work with it. In fact, I considered the LX to be the exact type of camera it was built for. Thanks for your reply.
04-27-2022, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Yep -- it is meant to give AF to MF lenses on AF bodies, not the other way around.
04-27-2022, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Because you just taught me something. I incorrectly assumed since the LX is all manual, the AF adapter would work with it. In fact, I considered the LX to be the exact type of camera it was built for. Thanks for your reply.
The AF adapter F 1.7x was introduced with the Pentax SFX, the first AF camera, to adapt your old manual lenses to that camera. Being the first AF camera is not entirely true because earlier there was the ME-F, which was also autofocus, but it was the lens that had the autofocus unit build in. The SFX was the first Pentax camera with the AF sensor build into the camera. Glad to be of help in this!

04-27-2022, 01:44 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
The AF adapter F 1.7x was introduced with the Pentax SFX, the first AF camera, to adapt your old manual lenses to that camera. Being the first AF camera is not entirely true because earlier there was the ME-F, which was also autofocus, but it was the lens that had the autofocus unit build in. The SFX was the first Pentax camera with the AF sensor build into the camera. Glad to be of help in this!
I see the logic now; but thought it was to also help manual cameras have a auto focus system with some lenses. Some days I am a big dummy.
04-28-2022, 06:57 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

I see the logic now; but thought it was to also help manual cameras have a auto focus system with some lenses. Some days I am a big dummy.
No you are just human like all of us...
04-28-2022, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I passed on the LX. I bought a late model MZ-S instead. My film setup now consist of that camera, a SMC FA 50mm f/1.4, and a SMC PENTAX FA* 300mm F/4.5. Thanks for the input. I would have bought that LX if I thought it would work with the AF Adapter. This forum saved me a headache in that regard.