Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2022, 12:30 PM   #1

Help identifying haze/fungus on internal element

Hello, I recently got a Vivitar 70-210 series 1 from ebay and discovered that the lens had what looked like haze on one of the internal elements (third from front I think). Luckily the seller refunded me and let me keep the lens so I've essentially got it for free. I was wondering if anyone could identify it here? It just looks lightly cloudy/misty and uniform across the whole element with no rainbow pattern visible and nothing that looks like a web like structure either.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D5600  Photo 
04-27-2022, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hard to say based on the one photo. Probably not fungus given that it looks even in distribution. It could be haze, hopefully not also some deterioration of the inner coatings or the optical cement inbetween some doublets. I suppose the difference would be if you wanted to take a stab at cleaning it.
04-27-2022, 02:30 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yeah, not the best shot.. here's another I tried to take another with some extension tubes to get a bit closer - a bit tricky to take while holding the len/phone light under it!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D5600  Photo 
04-27-2022, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looks like swirl marks in it to me, like an attempted cleaning. The lens was free, you should take a shot at cleaning it. It could be fungus or oil, or more likely cleaner residue from a sloppy job. As long as fungus hasn't etched into it it may be fine.

04-27-2022, 07:58 PM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
From my own experience, probably cement/balsam degradation between two joined elements. If this is the case, the problem is not on exposed to air surfaces but in between cemented elements.
04-28-2022, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've had something very similar in the past that turned out to be lubricating oil that had evaporated out of the inside of the lens somewhere, likely when it got hot, and then deposited itself on the lens elements, likely when it cooled again.

I had that cleaned professionally, and the lens was fine after that (until a wild six year old knocked it out of my hand onto concrete...)

Since it was free-ish, I would definitely give cleaning it a shot if you have the right tools...

If you don't have the right tools, this would be a really good excuse to get the right tools

-Eric