Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2008, 01:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Filter/protector suggestions

I have a number of different lenses I am thinking strongly about adding a filter or clear glass protector to them. I am not so much looking or feeling like I need a UV protection, simply a 100% clear "filter" for protection of the lens surfaces.

Any recommendations or ones to avoid?

P.S. I was looking at the ones by Tiffen since they appear to be reasonably priced.

Jason

12-15-2008, 01:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Jason,

Most filters are garbage. Pure and simple. While it's an attractive thought to use a UV filter for protection, the images will suffer. The most annoying thing a UV filter will likely do is to create flare and ghosting. That, along with the loss of sharpness and detail have me convinced that UV filters are not something I use any longer.

However, if your mind is made up, I do have a couple recommendations. B+W is good, as is Marumi. I'm not a huge Tiffen fan but Hoya is OK. Just don't get the cheapest green box Hoyas as they are made by Tokina and not great. Tokina isn't a bad company and they make some awesome glass, but they also build cheap crap for other vendors when contracted to do so.

Good Luck,
Mike
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I have a number of different lenses I am thinking strongly about adding a filter or clear glass protector to them. I am not so much looking or feeling like I need a UV protection, simply a 100% clear "filter" for protection of the lens surfaces.

P.S. I was looking at the ones by Tiffen since they appear to be reasonably priced.

Jason
12-15-2008, 02:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My aim is a 100% clear glass in order to protect my lenses, not so much for UV or all that.

Jas
12-15-2008, 03:53 PM   #4

Hello Jasvox,

Jason
Keep in mind that adding a filter to a lens will always degrade IQ, since you are adding a layer of glass and a layer of air (between the front lens and the filter), so your problem is to find a filter which degrades the IQ of your lens as little as possible ...

So, at first avoid organic glass filters, such as the Hoya Green series, since "organic glass" is the politically correct name of plastic. And avoid also all filters without multicoating, since your lens, with one more glass, will be more prone to flare.

For the kind of filters, i almost use UV instead of clear neutral filters, but only because i never had the opportunity to test one (maybe someone more experienced could help here) ...

For the brands, all my most used lenses are protected by B+W filters (two Limiteds and some Takumars), but i also have some Cokin/Heliopan/Tiffen/Zeiss filters on other lenses ... I have never used Hoya filters, but the Pro Digital series of Hoya filters seems to have a good reputation ...

So, definitively, i would suggest B+W or Hoya Pro Digital filters, according to your budget - good filters are expensive, and B+W is usually more expensive than Hoya ...

Hope this helps

Best regards

12-15-2008, 04:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

My aim is a 100% clear glass in order to protect my lenses, not so much for UV or all that.

Jas
Ahh, right. Sorry. My point stands, that even a "clear" filter will degrade performance and cause flare and ghosting, and loss of detail and sharpness. Also, my brand recommendations remain the same as well.

Regards,
Mike
12-15-2008, 04:49 PM   #6
nah

I try to get the best filter that I can afford. I have a mish mash of filters from Hoya, Kenko (Japanese Hoya), and B+W. I find the B+W are the best and it shows in the price and the Kenko and Hoya are the same if you get the same line; I like the Pro digital.

Not sure where people get their filters from, but I got them from hvstar.net before. I looked just recently and I think their prices went up, but not super sure. The customer service is pretty good and there's generally no customs charges for their delivery. The only thing that's a pain is their shipping charges for small filters, each one getting charged $9. But, in the end you do save a lot from buying locally.
12-15-2008, 04:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I put the Hoya Pro-1 Digital on all my glass.
12-16-2008, 01:13 PM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

You could also think about using a lens hood as protection.