05-01-2022, 03:27 AM - 4 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery
Kai tests SMC Pentax 50mm f/1.2.

05-01-2022, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At least he likes the Pentax brand.

He has mastered the art of taking 7:40 to say very little, IMO.
05-01-2022, 08:48 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote

Literally the case with most of these videos anything that needs to be known about these lenses can be found on the internet from 20 or so years ago I find hehe
05-02-2022, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is seven minutes of my life I wont get back.

05-02-2022, 12:29 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, he's certainly enthusiastic about the lens (I'm fortunate to own a pristine copy, and agree that it's an excellent lens).

As with many YouTube presentations, I think that the substance could be boiled down to several sentences or a paragraph.

The video has attracted some 32,000 views and 135 comments so far, so there's that.

- Craig
05-02-2022, 01:37 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Still one of the best lenses Pentax ever made...

Phil.
05-02-2022, 02:29 PM - 5 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While a bit short on new news It did one thing...

I went and got my SMC Pentax 50mm f/1.2...

And mounted it on my Pentax K-1 II

Went outside and shot some images of flowers in the garden.

So, all in all, I guess mission accomplished!

05-03-2022, 03:58 AM   #8
Pentaxian

My own copy of this lens recently came back to me after a long hiatus in the repair shop. I will be watching the video.
05-03-2022, 05:38 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

On one hand he says very little.

On the other he discusses creative and artistic photography and goes beyond lab tests. Even as a lens reviewer, I appreciate that.
05-03-2022, 06:40 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Someone with a YouTube account should comment and link to an image of the lens on a K-1. Looks seriously Franken on that Lumix.
05-03-2022, 06:51 AM - 4 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Good to see and hear some good things being said about Pentax lenses. I wasn't aware that their lenses have been the butt of jokes, to my knowledge they're well-regarded.

Nice to see him using, and enthusiastic about, the Lumix S5. So far I've found mine to be superb, especially with old lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Someone with a YouTube account should comment and link to an image of the lens on a K-1. Looks seriously Franken on that Lumix.
Yeah, adapted lenses tend to look bad on mirrorless cameras. They look much nicer on a DSLR, even if they are much harder to use.
05-03-2022, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote

This is at least partly due to how ads and monetization work on YouTube. Videos must be a certain minimum length to get any money from them.
05-03-2022, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I saw it yesterday as well... popped up in my feed. I follow Kai and for what he does I just find him entertaining.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Good to see and hear some good things being said about Pentax lenses. I wasn't aware that their lenses have been the butt of jokes, to my knowledge they're well-regarded...
Oh for certain. He and a few others have poked at Pentax in videos over the years, kicking the underdog so to speak. It's never been the glass that's been the butt of jokes, more the newer cameras, only occasionally and in fun really. But he's always admitted every time that he actually love the brand overall.

I think he did a fine job letting newer shooters and those just new to mirrorless know about this lens (and the Pentax line beyond the more well-known Taks) from a practical point of view. There's information presented just fine and I don't know that a lens of this era needs an in-depth technical review for this kind of audience. That info is around for any that care to look. I appreciated it. (And though I doubt I'd ever part with my copy, nice to know the price should get a tiny boost for a while.)
05-04-2022, 01:33 AM - 3 Likes   #14

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eyewanders Quote
(And though I doubt I'd ever part with my copy, nice to know the price should get a tiny boost for a while.)
That was my main concern actually "oh shit now I'll never be able to afford one of those". But I guess thanks to Laowa etc who regularly release a bunch of new decent manual native lenses for most mirrorless systems, people will likely move to those first.

Also funny how some people here tend to think 7 minutes 40 is too long to superficially chat about a Pentax lens, maybe they should check the endless topics and debates about Pentax lenses on a certain pentax forum
05-04-2022, 12:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I had a bit of back-n-forth in the comments (all good humored but I retracted my contributions; I just don't like comment sections on YT) with a Pentax film shooter who was adamant about the A version being notably superior...
Do any here feel this way. I've just never experienced this whatsoever. In my time with both I honestly do not think I could ever tell shots from them apart, either my own or from shooters I know and follow. Optical formula is identical. The K always felt ever so slightly better in the hand to me (which is why I still have only that version). Coatings change from year to year without warning. So I just don't see it (literally).