Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2022, 10:57 PM   #1

HD FA 35mm F2 Starburst?

Hey, pentaxians. Hope you're doing well. I am boggling at the SMC and the HD version of FA 35mm F2. I wonder how the HD ver. performs on starbursts after the round aperture blades are adapted on this lens. And at what aperture can starbursts start to show? Many thanks.

05-03-2022, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Are you sure they changed the aperture blades on the FA35? I don't think they have, I remember seeing hexagonal shapes in oof.

Can't help you with the starbursts as I avoid them.
05-03-2022, 03:40 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by detour Quote
I am boggling at the SMC and the HD version of FA 35mm F2. I wonder how the HD ver. performs on starbursts after the round aperture blades are adapted on this lens.
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Are you sure they changed the aperture blades on the FA35? I don't think they have, I remember seeing hexagonal shapes in oof.
@house is correct - I've just checked my HD FA35/2 and the aperture shape is hexagonal (except at maximum aperture, of course, where it's circular). I can't say the diaphragm blades are identical to the SMC version, as I don't have one here to compare - but the aperture shape is perfect for six-point diffraction spikes

I also can't comment on when they become noticeable, as it's not an effect I tend to use in my photography... but I've no reason to believe it would be any different than the SMC version in this respect...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-03-2022 at 05:46 AM.
05-05-2022, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With its conventional (i.e. unrounded) aperture blades, the HD FA 35 will produce starbursts, but due to the 6-bladed mechanism, they will be a far cry from the multi-pronged awesomeness of the smc DA Limiteds in that regard. Therefore, if it's starbursts you're after, check out the smc DAs 15, 21, and 35.

The two sample shots below were both done with the smc DA 15, but the 21 and 35 can be used to similar (starburst) effect. The smc DA Limiteds are no longer in production, but minty used copies crop up now and then on ebay and elsewhere.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 05-05-2022 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Sample shots added.
05-08-2022, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
You're right. I presumed that all HD editions have rounded blades LOL.

---------- Post added 05-09-22 at 10:27 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
With its conventional (i.e. unrounded) aperture blades, the HD FA 35 will produce starbursts, but due to the 6-bladed mechanism, they will be a far cry from the multi-pronged awesomeness of the smc DA Limiteds in that regard. Therefore, if it's starbursts you're after, check out the smc DAs 15, 21, and 35.

The two sample shots below were both done with the smc DA 15, but the 21 and 35 can be used to similar (starburst) effect. The smc DA Limiteds are no longer in production, but minty used copies crop up now and then on ebay and elsewhere.

Very beautiful shots. Thank you for your recommendations!

---------- Post added 05-09-22 at 10:32 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
@house is correct - I've just checked my HD FA35/2 and the aperture shape is hexagonal (except at maximum aperture, of course, where it's circular). I can't say the diaphragm blades are identical to the SMC version, as I don't have one here to compare - but the aperture shape is perfect for six-point diffraction spikes

I also can't comment on when they become noticeable, as it's not an effect I tend to use in my photography... but I've no reason to believe it would be any different than the SMC version in this respect...
Sorry for the misguidance. I took it for granted that all HD editions have rounded blades...And I searched further and got a series of comparisons between the two ver. It looks like I need not worry about the starburst performance.

Last edited by detour; 05-08-2022 at 07:35 PM. Reason: wrong image URL attached
05-08-2022, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by detour Quote
Sorry for the misguidance. I took it for granted that all HD editions have rounded blades...And I searched further and got a series of comparisons between the two ver. It looks like I need not worry about the starburst performance.
No worries Those examples show the benefit of HD coatings quite nicely in terms of the reduced ghosting...
05-08-2022, 11:43 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
No worries Those examples show the benefit of HD coatings quite nicely in terms of the reduced ghosting...
Yes. Absolutely I'll go get the HD-coated one. :-D