Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2022, 07:15 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IRIX 21mm f1.4 now shipping from Irix - out of stock at B&H

I've posted a couple of times now that to me, the only weak spot with the K1/K1mkII (for astrolandscape shooting) is the availability of glass - or more to the point a selection of fast aperture glass. Yes, you have the DFA 15-30/f2.8 and now the DFA 21/f2.4 Ltd along with the Sigma 35/f1.4, along with the FA 31/f1.8 Ltd (that has a fair amount of coma wide open - well at least for me). Actually, that's a pretty reasonable selection of high-quality fast lenses. You also have the Rokinon/Samyang set of lenses, but you have their associated QC and build issues that you need to sort through.

Over the years having watched various 20mm fast f1.4 glass become available for use with other bodies - I always felt somewhat left out. Yes, I do have the 15-30 but have always wondered what a larger aperture would look like. On the flip side, with such fast wide glass - you are left to deal with the associated downsides - vignetting along with coma - for which the cure is to just stop down to - the magical f2.8. Back to just where I am right now. So, just be happy with what you have and go out and shoot to your heart's content.

With the announcement of the 21/f2.4 Ltd, I have been somewhat wondering just how it would perform? Wide-open, no vignetting or hint of coma - yea right. The question is just how much of both and just how much you need to stop down for these effects to dissipate.

With the post about the finding of a Pentax M 20/f1.4 prototype - that had been forgotten, I started to wonder again about the IRIX 20mm f1.4 in the K mount that has been announced for quite a while - and low and behold, B&H had a real listing and price $699 - but it was not available. Availability is pegged at 2 to 4 weeks.However, IRIX on their website has it in stock, and is taking orders with immediate shipping - delivery in 5 days! But the price kicks up to $906.I just checked the moon phase. New Moon is May 30 - with the quarter moon on the 15. I would want to order so that I can immediately go out and shoot it, since the return window is only 15 days - but it has a 2-year warranty.

Do I really need another wide-angle lens - No. Do I really need a fast aperture - well to be honest, no - but it would really be nice to play with. Do I want to be disappointed - no? I know that I'm gonna have to stop it down some (maybe f1.8, but hopefully not past f2), but how much and just how good will it actually be? I would really like it to be like the Sigma 18-35/f1.8 (crop body) where you can shoot it wide open and there are no problems to worry about - just lots and lots of light.

There haven't been really any reviews - somewhat surprising, but I guess with the supply train shortages, everything is being affected now. However, there is one that has just come out in the last month. It has the lens stopping down to f2 to deal with the vignetting and coma to an extent and f2.8 to get rid of the problems. So, again - right back to where I was. I guess that there really is no free lunch to be had.My friend who I go out and shoot astrolandscape with - well was actually offered a new position earlier this year, the absolute pinnacle of his profession - the head strength and conditioning coach at a Major League Baseball team, so he moved to LA for the season (LA Angels - and they are contenders rather than bottom dwellers (sorry D'Backs) - they are in first place with a .645 win average [645 must be a magical number]). He will be back in town in October (if they do not go to the world series - which would be about a $400K payday for him). He has been shooting with the Sigma 35/f1.4 on his K1mkII and does enjoy the light - but the field of view is tight. Having a fast aperture with a really nice FoV would be really nice......

So, It looks like I have a few weeks to think it over - not going to pay an additional $200 just to find that I'm back to where I always have been. I have not been out shooting in a long long time - since last November. My wife has not been feeling that good - dealing with some gastro issues - so, I've just been bouncing around the house. Gotta go talk with the Chancellor of the Exchequer about spending the mad money that I've been socking away here in the envelope just for items like this.

05-10-2022, 10:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When I check the price it's still 699, just like at B&H

Last edited by bwgv001; 05-10-2022 at 10:39 PM.
05-10-2022, 11:09 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I just checked the moon phase. New Moon is May 30 - with the quarter moon on the 15.
Actually, May 15/16 is Full Moon - and a TOTAL LUNAR ECLIPSE! Maybe that can help convince the Chancellor of the Exchequer!