Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2022, 12:10 PM   #1

Takumar 135mm F2.5

Hope somebody here can help me.

In a house clearance recently I came across an example of this lens.

Identifying marks are a serial / model number of 5573954, the name Asasi Optical. It's a bayonet fit. It's a manual lens

Is this an SMC lens ? I'm assuming it's Pentax. Does it have any particular value ?

TIA

Martin

Attached Images

05-15-2022, 12:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Martin,

Welcome to Pentax Forums!

There are plenty of user reviews at our lens review page: Takumar 135mm F2.5 Bayonet Reviews - Non-SMC Pentax Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

- Craig
05-15-2022, 12:23 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Craig,

So this is not an SMC lens. It's ok, but not to the standard of Pentax branded SMC lenses.

Regards

Martin
05-15-2022, 04:41 PM   #4
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by martinclayden Quote
Hope somebody here can help me.

In a house clearance recently I came across an example of this lens.

Identifying marks are a serial / model number of 5573954, the name Asasi Optical. It's a bayonet fit. It's a manual lens

Is this an SMC lens ? I'm assuming it's Pentax. Does it have any particular value ?

TIA

Martin
There seems to be some duds out there but judge your one on it's merits. I suspect you are going to find it is superb.
Most people make the mistake of thinking because it was an entry level lens it can't be any good. (but it can certainly be great )
An interesting facet of the reviews is if you look at the oldest page of reviews they average out with a score just over 6. But the newest page (#1) averages just under 9.
There seemed to be a subjective negativity about this lens in the beginning.
The good news is that means the price of them is still quite cheap last time I looked. I think still cheaper than a M42Takumar 135mm f3.5 but with the open performance of a M42 tak 2.5

05-15-2022, 08:07 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I own a pristine copy. It’s an ok lens with good qualities but also some warts including purple fringing in high contrast. It isn’t smc but is coated. It has some loss of contrast likely due to the coatings but can be sharp in the right circumstance.(these are pretty inexpensive on the whole)
05-21-2022, 10:49 AM   #6

Original Poster
Many thanks for your replies
05-23-2022, 03:51 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I own a pristine copy. It’s an ok lens with good qualities but also some warts including purple fringing in high contrast. It isn’t smc but is coated. It has some loss of contrast likely due to the coatings but can be sharp in the right circumstance.(these are pretty inexpensive on the whole)
Is it helped by some kind of filter - perhaps a polarizer?

05-23-2022, 05:31 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Is it helped by some kind of filter - perhaps a polarizer?
I’ve never tried. I don’t recall anyone else mentioning it.
05-25-2022, 04:20 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I think it's a qc thing. My copy doesn't purple fringe at all (or I'd have to really try), but it does have veiled flare due to the lack of SMC coatings. I find the lens to be a good performer overall at least with my made in japan copy.

Takumar 135mm F2.5 Bayonet Reviews - Non-SMC Pentax Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Can check out my review of it. The optics are certainly better in my opinion than the older 135s like the Pentax M or K.
05-25-2022, 07:17 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I think it's a qc thing. My copy doesn't purple fringe at all (or I'd have to really try), but it does have veiled flare due to the lack of SMC coatings. I find the lens to be a good performer overall at least with my made in japan copy.

Takumar 135mm F2.5 Bayonet Reviews - Non-SMC Pentax Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Can check out my review of it. The optics are certainly better in my opinion than the older 135s like the Pentax M or K.
To be honest the purple fringing was in harsh light on an m43 camera come to think of it. I need to test more with something like my KP or Sony A7R3.
05-25-2022, 07:42 PM   #11
Pentaxian

To be honest the purple fringing was in harsh light on an m43 camera come to think of it. I need to test more with something like my KP or Sony A7R3.
To be honest, I was thinking even smaller than MFT - “Q”.
I’m always thinking of about that length - equivalent to about the same as 300mm on “APS-C”.