Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2008, 11:43 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I think my ideal kit might end up being something involving like a DA limited, what is it, a 21?
That's the current small wide angle lens, yes. And I might have thought about picking one up by now if it weren't the fact that the similarly sized DA15 Limited has been on the horizon for quite some time, and will probably hit shelves within a few months. No idea what the price will be, or quality (except sheesh, it's a Pentax Limited - got to be pretty decent). If it's comparable to the DA21 Limited in these departments, I'll have a tough choice to make, but will probably go for the 15.

QuoteQuote:
In the meantime, not sure what I'll do, really. Keep the really wide work to film, I suppose. Playing with this kit lens ought to help me decide if I'd rather replace it with something faster in a similar range or go that little bit longer.
For my money, I say keep the kit for what it is and get primes to go faster and/or longer. But everyone has their own style.

12-19-2008, 10:03 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
That's the current small wide angle lens, yes. And I might have thought about picking one up by now if it weren't the fact that the similarly sized DA15 Limited has been on the horizon for quite some time, and will probably hit shelves within a few months. No idea what the price will be, or quality (except sheesh, it's a Pentax Limited - got to be pretty decent). If it's comparable to the DA21 Limited in these departments, I'll have a tough choice to make, but will probably go for the 15.

For my money, I say keep the kit for what it is and get primes to go faster and/or longer. But everyone has their own style.
Well, I've got my 1.4, so the basic plan for (newish) glass runs to a fast 28 and, probably some kind of 2.8 zoom (likely a Tammie) for certain purposes that might pick me up a few bucks here and there, and also give me some flexibility when I'm mostly carrying film. My heart's really in the primes, but the zoom is for a certain set of jobs I could use one for, and faster would be better.

I'm hoping the Tammie 2.8s are a size I can live with, is all.

But, it's a fortunate thing as regards dealing with cropped sensors that *my* style likes moderate focal lengths, and those, usually a little tighter than most people's preference. The only drawback is that I can't get out of a very-wide-angle very cheaply in terms of weight, size, and cost. Depending on what you get with the 15 in that regard, I suspect that 21 would be a nice piece for me: cover that base, do it right, and otherwise stay out of my way till I need it. It's just that the cost of it is a little out of line with my priorities Maybe a slightly-rough example will come along or something.