Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
05-23-2022, 12:20 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any hints that KAF⁴ could bring more 3rd party lenses??

Just curious. Now that electronics control the aperture, the mechanical expenses to add K mount are gone, it's just software and/or a couple of wiring changes in the mount.
It always sounds easy from my couch, though

05-23-2022, 01:31 PM   #2

You need some sort of motor or actuator to move the diaphragm in the lens as well as wiring.

Third party support depends on how much time and money the companies are willing to put into the products vs return on investment (ROI).
05-23-2022, 01:51 PM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
how long has this version of the k-mount been here?
05-23-2022, 02:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think remaining 3rd parties who are interested in selling K-mount glass will do so with mechanical stop-down linkages if we get them at all, so, KA. I don't know if we'll ever get a new autofocusing 3rd party lens again in K-mount; none have come to market in some time. The other issue is how much focus is going to lenses with much shorter distances from flange-to-sensor, meaning mirrorless and rangefinder lenses, which are not going to easily cross over to SLR-type designs like what goes on a K-mount camera.

I'm also thinking that of the 3rd party glass that does come along is going to be more of the "neutered" K-mount type which doesn't work with cameras that have an aperture linkage like the Irix primes that are on the market and do not work on almost any of the K-mount film cameras made. I know most people who have such cameras and are still using them are not buying a lot of glass; it is still a further reduction in the possibly pool of buyers.

05-23-2022, 03:49 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Point to consider is that both Tamron and Sigma have indicated they intend to concentrate on the mirrorless market.
This will mean that only new telephoto designs may be suitable for adaption to conventional DSLRs, even if there was a perceived profitable market for them!
"The times they are a-changin' … "
05-23-2022, 06:21 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax does not have the market share for major 3rd party makers to care.
I am already grateful that smaller manual makers like Laowa makes lenses in K-mount.
05-23-2022, 07:45 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Nay! All of them have pretty much moved onto mirrorless "pastures". There are a few pumping some manual lenses for the K-mount, but they've mainly been manual focus designs.

You're looking at current & new PENTAX made glass from here on out whether Ricoh does it themselves or they collaborate with Tamron and/or Tokina.

05-23-2022, 07:58 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The company Ricoh might collaborate with has to want to do something SLR-ish again, and Tamron seems to have moved on from that with their new offerings. Tokina I don't know about these days, which was recently discussed here, with them working on cine lenses so they might actually produce designs that work on a K-mount camera. I wouldn't hold my breath though.
05-23-2022, 08:33 PM - 4 Likes   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

The mount was never a deal breaker, it's market share. In a declining market for both cameras and lenses, a serious third party has to cull its product lines, and niche product development has to stop.

Sigma, Tamron and Tokina have to survive.

The latest Tamron lenses are not even available in Panasonic, Olympus, Canon or Nikon mounts, let alone Pentax!
05-24-2022, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
how long has this version of the k-mount been here?
Relatively new, introduced with the DA 55-300PLM in 2016, only other lenses are the DFA* 50mm, DFA* 85mm and DFA 70-210 f4

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The mount was never a deal breaker,
If I remember correctly, Sigma did cite the mechanical aperture being one part of the why they dropped Pentax. Nikon also had mechanical apertures, but at the time, they had the market share to justify the extra cost. Of course, that could have all been just a small part, when it was almost entirely the sales numbers.

Sigma offers lens mount conversion service to Pentax K for the current "global vision" generation of lenses (up until they dropped support), which suggests that they probably still have the tooling to make K-mount versions of their last DSLR offerings. However, if they want to take advantage of the mechanically simpler KAF4, they would have to reverse engineer the communication protocol and there's a good chance they wouldn't make back that investment.
05-24-2022, 04:43 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sprint113 Quote

If I remember correctly, Sigma did cite the mechanical aperture being one part of the why they dropped Pentax. Nikon also had mechanical apertures, but at the time, they had the market share to justify the extra cost. Of course, that could have all been just a small part, when it was almost entirely the sales numbers.
Yes, I think he was just being kind in saying that to the press.

I spoke years ago to an employee of Sigma Australia on the other hand who said it was simply about the quantity of product shifted. That's it.

QuoteOriginally posted by sprint113 Quote
Sigma offers lens mount conversion service to Pentax K for the current "global vision" generation of lenses (up until they dropped support), which suggests that they probably still have the tooling to make K-mount versions of their last DSLR offerings. However, if they want to take advantage of the mechanically simpler KAF4, they would have to reverse engineer the communication protocol and there's a good chance they wouldn't make back that investment.
Yes, agree totally.