Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2008, 07:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SR using zoom lenses

Hello,
Does anyone know how the focal lenght information is handled by the DSLR when using a F or later zoom? Does the data get updated as the lenses are zoomed or does SR use a mid range value? The reason that I am asking this is that I just got an "A"zoom and was surpised to find out that it didn't transmit the data. How do you use manual zooms? Do you reset the focal lenght after zooming, use a mid range setting or turn off SR? I had been using the mid range approach on the shorter range manual zooms. This hasn't caused any issues for me. What do you guys do in this case? It seems like this is a good case for using prime lenses of the manual type as oposed to manual or even "A" type zooms.

Regards, Dave

12-16-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a manual zoom (Tamron Adaptall2 80-200mm f/2.8 with a PK adapter), and I usually set the shake reduction to 200mm and turn it off when I zoom out, but it depends on the situation.

Oh, I almost forgot: I was under the impression that the shake reduction value was updated as you zoomed the lens with new zooms. The exif information shows what the zoom level is, so the camera obviously "knows" what it is.
12-16-2008, 08:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
CF,
Thats a good point. So using the mid range setting may not be such a great idea. I have a 16-45mm DA arriving this week and I think that it is going to see a lot of action.

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by CFWhitman Quote
Oh, I almost forgot: I was under the impression that the shake reduction value was updated as you zoomed the lens with new zooms. The exif information shows what the zoom level is, so the camera obviously "knows" what it is.
12-16-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Takumar F Zoom 28-80 mm, and the exif shows the focal length, so I would imagine that SR works like it does with the newer DA lenses

12-17-2008, 10:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

F and later transmits the focal length, so you'll be fine.
12-17-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
CF,
Thats a good point. So using the mid range setting may not be such a great idea. I have a 16-45mm DA arriving this week and I think that it is going to see a lot of action.

Dave
The 16-45 won't be an issues since the camera communicates with the lens. You can't even set anything for SR with current lenses.