Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-30-2022, 10:37 AM   #1

Finally rolling it back to SLR. Seeking answers on FA Limited lenses

Hi,

I grew up shooting my K1000 which I still own, but have been on digital for an extended period of time. I currently have the SMC Pentax-A 50mm f/2 but wanted to pick up one of the Three Amigos – The FA Limited 43mm.

In my searches it looks like B&H has them but the description says "Based on the FA Limited Lens series, renowned for their meticulous attention in every detail..."

I would imagine this is a newly manufactured lens and is not one of the original FA Limited lens's that are sought after.

My question is how do I recognize an original, where is the best place to find one, and what price am I looking at?

I have been primarily photographing nature for the past 10 years but want to get back to my roots with film and "non-nature" work. I'll be heading to NYC in a few weeks and would love to bring my K1000 with a nice lens to go along with the rolls of film that have been stored in an attic for the past 20 years.

05-30-2022, 10:57 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! Look through the listings here on PF marketplace for an idea of availability and price for used lenses .

Enjoy NYC, I look forward to seeing your pictures.
05-30-2022, 10:57 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The new lenses are upgraded with new lens coatings and other changes. However, their used department has a number of original FA Ltd. Lenses for sale. Happy hunting!
05-30-2022, 11:00 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by allanmh Quote
The new lenses are upgraded with new lens coatings and other changes. However, their used department has a number of original FA Ltd. Lenses for sale. Happy hunting!
Thank you!

Do these newer lenses hold up to the originals in terms of optics and the fabled pixie dust?

05-30-2022, 11:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TATJ Quote
Hi,
In my searches it looks like B&H has them but the description says "Based on the FA Limited Lens series, renowned for their meticulous attention in every detail..."

I would imagine this is a newly manufactured lens and is not one of the original FA Limited lens's that are sought after.
Welcome! You will find the answer in the lens database:
“This modernized version of the iconic SMC Pentax-FA 43mm F1.9 Limited features updated HD coatings and rounded aperture blades”
Old: SMC New: HD

Read more at: HD Pentax-FA 43mm Limited F1.9 Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Rudy
05-30-2022, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forums!
The newer lenses are labeled "HD" whereas the older ones are "SMC," both of which refer to the type of multicoatings. Other than the improved coatings, the newer one has rounded aperture blades. This article has more info on the difference between the new and old models.
But to make a medium-length story short, the newer HD version does have all of the premium build quality and "pixie dust" characteristics, and is in no way inferior to the older ones. If you are more comfortable buying new, don't hesitate to do so. But as everyone mentioned, used copies (of either the HD or the SMC verison) are likely available, from big shops like BH, Adorama, KEH or others, or on ebay. And also in the marketplace here, which is a very good way to go.
05-30-2022, 11:57 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the big difference is going to be more flare resistance with the HD versions. I suppose the other thing would be more rounded bokeh. Otherwise they'll be pretty similar.

05-30-2022, 07:08 PM - 2 Likes   #8

Original Poster
Thank you for the help everyone! I just ordered the 43mm HD.

Looking forward to feeling that shutter click again!
05-30-2022, 08:38 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The hd versions tend (in the DA lenses at least) to slightly suppress sunbursts. If that matters to you, I would carefully read user reports and comparison reviews to see if the benefits outweigh the slight reduction in sunbursts.
05-30-2022, 08:48 PM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I note the OP has already made the choice

the SMC FA limiteds were made in japan [ MIJ ] then later were assembled in Vietnam without official changes to design

43mm, then 77mm and finally the 31mm

then the HD versions came out a few years ago
05-30-2022, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

From what I've seen the HD coatings seem like a huge boon in most shooting conditions. The only downside is with the rounded blades if you like starbursts. But even there I think rounded aperture blades are more useful overall.

My 2 cents.
05-30-2022, 09:57 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@TATJ
Whatever lens you buy - be sure that there is an aperture ring. If there is no aperture ring you can only use max aperture. We can use old lenses on new bodies, not the opposite and that is a shame
05-31-2022, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There's an in-depth comparison review answering all your questions and then some:

HD vs. SMC Pentax FA Limited Lenses Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
06-01-2022, 08:53 PM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by niels hansen Quote
@TATJ
Whatever lens you buy - be sure that there is an aperture ring. If there is no aperture ring you can only use max aperture. We can use old lenses on new bodies, not the opposite and that is a shame
the op was considering a FA limited lens

I think all Pentax FA series lenses have the aperture ring

Pentax FA Prime Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
06-02-2022, 11:49 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by niels hansen Quote
@TATJ
Well... the FA J, DA and D FA lenses work great on a PZ-1 or PZ-1p. Any older body that is modern enough to control the lens via control wheels rather than the aperture ring will work. Some newer than the PZ-1 didn't include that function.

Also the FA series other than FA J all have aperture rings as do the F series, A series, M and "K" series. Even a couple of D FA lenses (non-WR 100 macro and 50 macro) include an aperture ring.