Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2008, 07:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Goobers (or something) inside my lens!!

You never know what you might find on ebay. So I've been wanting a SMC Pentax 135/2.5 for a while now. Finally found a good deal on ebay and did buy-it-now. The guy said all the equipment was in 100% condition. After I checked out, he tells me that there is something inside the 135/2.5 lens, but it had been there since he bought it (one owner) and it wasn't fungus or anything so I decided to continue with the deal.

The lens came today, so I was curious about what he was talking about. You be the judge, but it almost looks like a tiny inch worm somehow got in there. It must have been in there from when it was manufactured. I got a few of the lenses off only to realize it's between element 2 and 3, which I could not figure out how to get apart. It isn't an element group, so it should be able to be cleaned + serviced, but apparently not by me. I'll probably try sending it to Eric to see if he can get the junk out. It's a beauty otherwise!!

What do you think it is? I've included several different shots to try to show it off. All of these (except the first, just to give a sense of scale) are 100% crops on my K200D using a SMC Pentax-FA 50/2.8 macro @ 1:1 macro, so this thing is pretty small.

-Jim

Last edited by arpaagent; 01-04-2009 at 08:44 AM.
12-16-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It looks like it could be a bit of cement used to bond elements togather. It must be from manufacturing process.

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
You never know what you might find on ebay. So I've been wanting a SMC Pentax 135/2.5 for a while now. Finally found a good deal on ebay and did buy-it-now. The guy said all the equipment was in 100% condition. After I checked out, he tells me that there is something inside the 135/2.5 lens, but it had been there since he bought it (one owner) and it wasn't fungus or anything so I decided to continue with the deal.

The lens came today, so I was curious about what he was talking about. You be the judge, but it almost looks like a tiny inch worm somehow got in there. It must have been in there from when it was manufactured. I got a few of the lenses off only to realize it's between element 2 and 3, which I could not figure out how to get apart. It isn't an element group, so it should be able to be cleaned + serviced, but apparently not by me. I'll probably try sending it to Eric to see if he can get the junk out. It's a beauty otherwise!!

What do you think it is? I've included several different shots to try to show it off. All of these (except the first, just to give a sense of scale) are 100% crops on my K200D using a SMC Pentax-FA 50/2.8 macro @ 1:1 macro, so this thing is pretty small.

-Jim
12-16-2008, 08:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looks like an insect larva of some kind (if you look at what looks like the thorax, there seem to be bands going across it. Also a pair of eyes?

Then again, it could be axle grease

I'm assuming it doesn't move when you wiggle the lens? You could remove the front element, see if you can remove the "thing."
12-16-2008, 08:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogroast Quote
Looks like an insect larva of some kind (if you look at what looks like the thorax, there seem to be bands going across it. Also a pair of eyes?

Then again, it could be axle grease

I'm assuming it doesn't move when you wiggle the lens? You could remove the front element, see if you can remove the "thing."
I did remove the front element, but it's behind the 2nd element, and I couldn't figure out how to get in between #2 and 3. I also got the 4th element off, so i know exactly where it is. But I wasn't sure how to proceed from there. 2 and 3 aren't an optical group so it should be possible to get in between them.

12-17-2008, 11:14 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
What do you think it is?
-Jim
Those lens goobers will get you every time. I bought a MINT Super Tak 35/2.0 and this is what I received.

Looked like it went through an explosion at the car wash. Sent it to Eric and now all is well. He is not expensive. So if you give up on goober removal try Eric. Eric Hendrickson
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo 

Last edited by wlank; 12-17-2008 at 04:03 PM.
12-17-2008, 12:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlank Quote
Those lens goobers will get you every time. I bought a MINT Super Tak 35/2.0 and this is what I received. Looked like it went through an explosion at the car wash. Sent it to Eric and now all is well. He is not expensive. So if you give up on goober removal try Eric. Eric Hendrickson
Yea, Eric is reasonable and seems to be a very nice guy. I sent him a SMC Pentax 50/1.2 to try and remove some "fungus," but my diagnosis was wrong and it turned out to be some slight cementing problem around the outer edge of the element group to the rear. Although it was a problem he couldn't fix, he cleaned all the dust out of lens and sent it back to me without charge since he couldn't fix the original problem. I have no qualms about sending him this lens and I've already spoken to him about it and showed him this thread. He said he should be able to take care of it for me so I'll probably send it to him soon.

I really like the lens and would recommend it if you can find a copy and need a pretty fast 135mm.

Last edited by arpaagent; 12-17-2008 at 12:23 PM.