Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
06-01-2022, 01:03 PM   #1

Adapters for Lenses of other brands

Hello everyone. I wanted to use some old Canon FD lenses, especially the long telephoto lenses with fluorite lens, and I saw on sale some adapters that have a lens to correct the different draft. Have any of you already used them? Have you noticed a loss of definition? Thanks to those who will give me some indications.

06-01-2022, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aldo taddia Quote
Hello everyone. I wanted to use some old Canon FD lenses, especially the long telephoto lenses with fluorite lens, and I saw on sale some adapters that have a lens to correct the different draft. Have any of you already used them? Have you noticed a loss of definition? Thanks to those who will give me some indications.
Every previous discussion suggests that the adapters with glass are image degrading. Additionally the way those adapters function is as a teleconverter adding focal length and reducing down the lenses aperture.
06-01-2022, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have used a lens adapter with an internal lens that is supposed to correct the registration to get focus to infinity. I have been disappointed with the results. It would be great if I could use my Canon FD lenses on my PK mount cameras, but I don't think I will spend the money. There is the reason I have a large collection of M42 lenses, they can adapt to all my camera systems.

BTW, I removed the lens from the Minolta SR/MD adapter and use it with a MD micro lens for scanning negatives. In effect, it is just an extension tube.

Phil

Last edited by PWhite214; 06-01-2022 at 04:04 PM. Reason: correct typo
06-01-2022, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Look at a short registry distance mirrorless cameras. @Pepperberry Farm might be able to help you out he uses a Fuji camera.

I have tried a 2 element adaptor, aside from poor image quality wide open they act like a 1.46x TC

06-01-2022, 06:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aldo taddia Quote
The Canon FD was an orphan mount for so long because even Canon abandoned it.
Canon already had the shortest flange distance of the DSLR brands and FD was slightly shorter than that, so it could not be mounted on any DSLR.
Certainly not on the Pentax mount which has one of the longest flange distance.

My advise is to get a 2nd hand Sony A7 and a FD to FE adapter.
The camera has been out for almost 9yrs now and there will be plenty of them out there for cheap.
Otherwise, get something newer but don't overpay if its only for manual lenses since the main thing you get for the later models is the better AF.

I have some FD lenses that I use with my A7.
The 20/2.8, 55/1.2, 100/2, 135/2
06-01-2022, 07:14 PM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Look at a short registry distance mirrorless cameras. @Pepperberry Farm might be able to help you out he uses a Fuji camera.

I have tried a 2 element adaptor, aside from poor image quality wide open they act like a 1.46x TC
thank you, Lowell..

I gave up a while back trying to adapt anything to my Pentax DSLR's, mainly for this reason....

adding any extra glass is usually a bad idea and the majority of these adapters do not use quality lenses...

I moved all of my adapting to my Fuji bodies and have happy ever since....
06-01-2022, 10:52 PM - 2 Likes   #7

Original Poster
Thank you all for the helpful advice.
I will continue to use old FD lenses only on my mirrorless EOS cameras

06-03-2022, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
thank you, Lowell..

I gave up a while back trying to adapt anything to my Pentax DSLR's, mainly for this reason....

adding any extra glass is usually a bad idea and the majority of these adapters do not use quality lenses...

I moved all of my adapting to my Fuji bodies and have happy ever since....
I have glassless dumb adapters for all my older lenses to a Sony A7ii, which is full frame and with in body image stabilisation, so I can use these lenses in their designed format.

I have just acquired an unstabilised crop-size Fuji, which seems to be an even better sensor than the Sony of similar vintage, but I cannot go very wide angle.
06-03-2022, 07:32 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use a Scoptics adapter mainly with my FD 85mm 1.2
I cannot say the quality is so much degraded that you can't do anything with the photos, but I use it mainly with the Kenko Pz-AF UniPlus Tube 25 as a macro lens :

Here my photos on Flickr
06-03-2022, 09:37 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a Fotodiox 'Minolta MD to Pentax K' adapter (with a few glass elements) that works very well. Here's an example on the K1 + MD Minolta 100 mm f/4 MACRO @ f/9.5 :

06-03-2022, 10:20 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A couple of these adapters used in Macro mode do appear credible. I would like to see some more general purpose ones with edge details - but I'm shocked at how much better than expected these are. Maybe older ones were worse?
06-08-2022, 03:43 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

On a Pentax DSLR you can happily adapt M42 lenses but nothing else (bar medium format lenses). For everything else I would recommend a mirrorless camera body and the necessary adapter. You can adapt just about anything to mirrorless.
06-08-2022, 04:45 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I would like to see some more general purpose ones with edge details
Image taken with a Pentax K3 body + Fotodiox adapter + Minolta MD 300 mm f/5.6 lens on tripod @ f/22. This is an old "argentic-era" lens plagued with Color Fringing in the out-of-focus areas. The fringing became almost invisible only using f/16 or f/22, when diffraction had long softened the core of the image. Corners are as sharp as the rest of the photogram though. I have a Minolta MD 400 mm f/5.6 APO tele I'm planning to try soon on a Pentax body. It should perform much better as it was super-sharp on film cameras, with Fluorite and ED elements in its make-up.

Another image taken with a K3 + Fotodiox adapter + Minolta MD 300 mm f/5.6 on tripod @ f/11. Sharp all over.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 06-10-2022 at 11:24 AM.