Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2008, 09:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love the lens, but not much of a fan of the TC, and I have tried most of them. I will be waiting on the Pentax TC to come out for it.

12-18-2008, 06:05 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Here's about a 100% on k20d with smc f1.7x at f8 (2/3 stop from wide open this tc adds the 1.5 stops to the exif)) on a monopod and a little usm. He's got some fish on his beak.

Just so you know, the Eagle was not a prisoner
Thanks Borno. That's a great image and I see that a good amount of detail is retained with the Promaster 1.7. This was with the DA* 300, was it?
12-18-2008, 06:07 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Hey Aditya,
I did try to tape the PZ contacts on my 1.5x kenko and the camera went bonkers ( i don't recall exactly but remember it was bad) and it hunts back and forth too much for me to want to use mine normally. Too bad we can't tell the camera to use screw drive in the menu.
Wish there was some way to trick the K 10D into screw drive mode!
12-18-2008, 09:14 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got it about 20 min ago..

... and what is the 1st thing I did, slap the TC on and take a photo of a Nuthatch feeding . So before I show you the photo let me say that I just fell in love with SDM. How the hell did I put up with the noise of the screw drive for so long.

So I attached my Kenko 1.5x TC and crossed my fingers and I was granted my wish. Works perfectly with the SDM, no issues. I was able to focus on everything I pointed the lens at. I'll probably still pick up the Pentax one when it comes out IF it is weather sealed. If not then there is no need for it.

So about the image. I just opened my window and took this shot handheld, bird is probably a good 30' away or so. I have to say that for a handheld shot (at ISO 800) I am VERY happy with the results, not to mention the very smooth bokeh

I can't wait to see what this lens does WITHOUT the TC attached

I did do a small amount of PP, USM etc
Pentax K20D
1/800s f/8.0 at 300.0mm iso800

PP 100% crop

100% straight from the camera

12-18-2008, 10:50 AM   #20

Congrats! The Tamron 1.4X MC 4 and the 'old' Kenko 1.5X TC are the only two TCs in production that are known to SDM AF with Pentax DA* glass.

I know that Sigma HSM TCs are not compatible with most lenses apart from original Sigma ones, but has anyone tried to see if they manage to fit any of the DA*s?
12-18-2008, 10:55 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aditya Panda Quote
Congrats! The Tamron 1.4X MC 4 and the 'old' Kenko 1.5X TC are the only two TCs in production that are known to SDM AF with Pentax DA* glass.

I know that Sigma HSM TCs are not compatible with most lenses apart from original Sigma ones, but has anyone tried to see if they manage to fit any of the DA*s?
I have a Sigma 2xTC and it looks like it would hit the back of the DA* element.. if it doesn't it is way to close of a call for me to try.

John
12-18-2008, 01:31 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And a couple more..

Both of these with the Kenko 1.5x TC and handheld in the backyard. Both slightly cropped.

Pentax K20D ,Pentax smc DA* 300mm f/4 ED (IF) SDM
1/800s f/5.6 at 450.0mm iso800 with Kenko 1.5xTC

Pentax K20D ,Pentax smc DA* 300mm f/4 ED (IF) SDM
1/500s f/5.6 at 450.0mm iso800 with Kenko 1.5xTC

12-18-2008, 04:53 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Nice shots, John! My Nuthatch is very shy - always keeps an eye on me and it is difficult to get a good pic............
12-18-2008, 09:43 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John Kovarik Quote
Good for you, John! It is a fine lens. As to TCs, I use the Tamron 1.4 Pz AF MC4 and get good results though I remain somewhat ambivalent as cropping w/o the TC seems as good or better except at extreme ranges. I hope the PTX unit will improve that when it is released..............
By coincidence i had bought the Tamron 1.4 AF MC4 a year ago, and can confirm it works perfectly with the DA*300 which i've had for 3 weeks now. I'm also ambivalent about using the TC and normally keep it off the camera due to the loss of a stop of light. If i knew it was going to be needed for birds, i'd put it on. But that stop of light is often needed for focusng in deep woods or our often gray weather during winter.

I do have one question for anyone that knows: My lens hood fits rather loosely on the DA-300 lens and doesn't have much of an interlock. Even the slightest tap can cause it to fall off. Does anyone else have this problem, or do i have a bad lens hood???

thanks for any help on the lens hood. ( love the fast AF speed and silence of the AF)

Phil
12-18-2008, 09:45 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I do have one question for anyone that knows: My lens hood fits rather loosely on the DA-300 lens and doesn't have much of an interlock. Even the slightest tap can cause it to fall off. Does anyone else have this problem, or do i have a bad lens hood???

thanks for any help on the lens hood. ( love the fast AF speed and silence of the AF)

Phil
Mine is really snug so I'd say something is up with yours

John
12-19-2008, 12:03 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by palmor Quote
Mine is really snug so I'd say something is up with yours

John
Thanks!, i feel like an idiot. I just needed to turn it harder and it snapped into place firmly.

John or anyone, you did so well with my last question, how do you guys plan on walking around iwth this lens/camera. With the K10 and 300, it must be close to 4 lbs. I can't imagine any of us want to dangle that much from our necks for long.

I've tried it threaded onto a monopod and it balances nicely that way and i can just grip the monopod to carry it from there to here.

But i can imagine other times walking around in woods or fields that it might be nice to have it at hand without a monopod to catch the occasional bird or animal.

I have a Lowepro 200 sling pack, that if i rearrange the dividers, i can get it in there facing down (but it won't fit crosswise). But thats still not as fast as having it on the hip or something.

Any thoughts or experience on this?

thanks, Phil
12-20-2008, 11:15 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks!, i feel like an idiot. I just needed to turn it harder and it snapped into place firmly.

John or anyone, you did so well with my last question, how do you guys plan on walking around iwth this lens/camera. With the K10 and 300, it must be close to 4 lbs. I can't imagine any of us want to dangle that much from our necks for long.

I've tried it threaded onto a monopod and it balances nicely that way and i can just grip the monopod to carry it from there to here.

But i can imagine other times walking around in woods or fields that it might be nice to have it at hand without a monopod to catch the occasional bird or animal.

I have a Lowepro 200 sling pack, that if i rearrange the dividers, i can get it in there facing down (but it won't fit crosswise). But thats still not as fast as having it on the hip or something.

thanks, Phil
Glad that it wasn't any broken on your lens hood

For walking around I either keep in my backpack/messenger bag or I carry it with a next strap (kind of sideways like you'd carry a messenger bag).

john
12-21-2008, 11:21 AM   #28
Veteran Member

thanks, Phil
I carry the f*300mm, k20d, kenko1.5tc, da*35mm macro in my slingback 200 with a gorillapod or monopod attached to the bag when hiking or mt biking. i bungee a light tripod to the bike rack also. Its a nuisance when that 'fleeting moment' arrives and i do miss some shots. I suggest that you hike/bike to a location (enjoy the scenery while moving) and just wait quietly where there is a game trail. Usually the birds/animals will show up within an hour. early morning and late evening are the best times for wildlife.