Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2008, 11:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
your k20d af adjust settings for various lenses

I just bought a 43ltd and while doing some shooting I was noticing that it seemed a bit soft compared to the 35ltd. A little testing indicated that the AF was off a tad...no problem as I'm on a K20d. Seems like about -5 gives me the correct AF. I then looked at my 35ltd and had forgotten that it is -9. The 77ltd is 0.

What are your settings? I'm wondering if there are trends or it is just fairly random.

12-21-2008, 11:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Probably random, although I guess these limited lenses are prone to be affected by back/front focus issues. My first and only limited lens so far is the 31mm Limited, and I quickly noticed it was off. +5 makes it near perfect.
12-22-2008, 07:02 AM   #3
Forum Member

i tried to get a poll going on this recently (in this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/43687-if-you-h...-af-ff-bb.html ).. Mean/mode/median seems to definetly be at 0 adjustment, with no skew towards - or +.... Tho with the lack of votes I doubt it means anthing

Personally my kit lens 18-55 ALII was adjusted to about -4.. and after the adjustment was fine irrespective of FL and distance. The 16-50 seems spot on at 0, I wouldnt be surprised if it was say +1 or -1 off cause I havent systematically tested it, but visually its so close Im in no rush adjust. Also perfect at all FL's and distances.

The 50-135 is weird. From memory I got a -2 adjustment. But its inconsistant when focusing near field. Anything 10 meters and further it seems to nail (with the -2).. Anything close and it's usually off - and it can be really far off.

Im thinking my 50-135 might be faulty in some way, but prodigital not sending me an international warranty card (when they should have), and pentax australia (cr kennedy) not caring and insisting they cant do anything without the card leaves me in a bad position. So not much I can do about it. Unless anyone out there wants to swap an international warranty card with a 2 year canadian warranty card? Umm sorry about off topic rant.
12-22-2008, 08:40 AM   #4
Inactive Account

What are you testing against to determine the "best" settings? I was doing the global change on my old K10D and eyeballing it (I found the 43mm was slightly different than the FA 35 so I had to split the difference between the 2.

With my K20D on the way, I'm happy I can tweak settings for each lens!

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I just bought a 43ltd and while doing some shooting I was noticing that it seemed a bit soft compared to the 35ltd. A little testing indicated that the AF was off a tad...no problem as I'm on a K20d. Seems like about -5 gives me the correct AF. I then looked at my 35ltd and had forgotten that it is -9. The 77ltd is 0.

What are your settings? I'm wondering if there are trends or it is just fairly random.

12-22-2008, 08:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I found a consistent front focus problem but only under tungsten light and apertures below F4. Not much point making an adjustment in the camera.