Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 41 Likes Search this Thread
06-04-2022, 06:26 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LBA LBA LBA - Overlap

I thought it would be fun to look at my lenses and see the overlap in focal length. I think I use the 18-135 more than any other.

Quick and dirty with Excel.

Attached Images

06-04-2022, 06:46 AM - 11 Likes   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

that's the sort of data my wife would use to suggest selling everything but the one lens...

needless to say, I don't say such things in front of her....
06-04-2022, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
I thought it would be fun to look at my lenses and see the overlap in focal length. I think I use the 18-135 more than any other.

Quick and dirty with Excel.
This may exaggerate the scope of the lenses. You might try angle of view vs focal length to see if the charts look different. The scope of coverage of a 55-300 5.5x zoom should be less than the 18-135 7.5x zoom. Also at wider angles the differences 1mm makes is larger. Finally a fisheye covers more than a normal wide angle at the same focal length.

---------- Post added 06-04-22 at 09:51 AM ----------

You also may want to factor in aperture at focal length via color or other means.
06-04-2022, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
This may exaggerate the scope of the lenses. You might try angle of view vs focal length to see if the charts look different. The scope of coverage of a 55-300 5.5x zoom should be less than the 18-135 7.5x zoom. Also at wider angles the differences 1mm makes is larger. Finally a fisheye covers more than a normal wide angle at the same focal length.

---------- Post added 06-04-22 at 09:51 AM ----------

You also may want to factor in aperture at focal length via color or other means.
Ay! I am a geek but maybe not to this level. OK, I'm game for the angle of view calculation. My lenses are on the Pentax forum site (example 18-135 is (Diag. / Horiz.)
APS-C: 76-11.9 ° / 67-10 °

It's rainy day here, I guess I know what my project is.

Here are the D-FOV and H-FOV, for those who who do not hate charts. The 10-17 is cut off since it is an outlier, but it goes way up to 180.

Attached Images

Last edited by madison_wi_gal; 06-04-2022 at 07:55 AM. Reason: added graphs
06-04-2022, 07:21 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Ay! I am a geek but maybe not to this level. OK, I'm game for the angle of view calculation. My lenses are on the Pentax forum site (example 18-135 is (Diag. / Horiz.)

It s rainy day here, I guess I know what my project is.
Ever thought of using your time at finding out how to make pictures on a rainy day? I hate these kind of charts, I rather take pictures, on a rainy day like one of my cats inside when posing in an attractive way...
06-04-2022, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lenses can be like hand bags and shoes, lots of overlap is normal
There is a saying: "better have more lenses than no enough".
06-04-2022, 08:27 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Lenses can be like hand bags and shoes, lots of overlap is normal
There is a saying: "better have more lenses than no enough".
Do *not* get me started on handbags : I have overlap on those as well. Shoes, not so much.

06-04-2022, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Here's another factor (or two) for your charts … closest focus distance against field of view.
For instance, my Adaptall-2 #52B Tamron 90mm (MFD 1.3ft) has the same (or very similar) field of view (approx. 4cm) as my autofocus #A17 Tamron 70-300mm (MFD 3.1ft) when both are set to their respective minimum distances.
The one may be good for a low-angle shot of a flower or whatever in undergrowth, the other much better for a butterfly on a flower, simply 'cos I'm stood further away and not spooking it
The perspectives will differ, but the relative subject sizes will be similar
06-04-2022, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Here's another factor (or two) for your charts … closest focus distance against field of view.
Trying to figure out how to graph that. Maybe quick and dirty CFD vs median of FOV? I see what you mean though.

I think CFD vs max FOV might work, since that gets me to what is IN THE FRAME.

Last edited by madison_wi_gal; 06-04-2022 at 09:47 AM.
06-04-2022, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
Ever thought of using your time at finding out how to make pictures on a rainy day? I hate these kind of charts, I rather take pictures, on a rainy day like one of my cats inside when posing in an attractive way...
Pictures of cats!? Aargh. Can a rainy day be that bad?
06-04-2022, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's rainy day here, I guess I know what my project is.

Here are the D-FOV and H-FOV, for those who who do not hate charts. The 10-17 is cut off since it is an outlier, but it goes way up to 180.
What I like about this is that it gives another perspective on how the lenses cover various aspects of photography. The angle of view or focal length can be misleading but by having both you have a good idea of how these lenses overlap. Practically speaking - not terribly important but fun if you like data.
Now - embed an image taken at each focal length from the lenses of the same subject... EVIL LAUGH...
06-04-2022, 10:09 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What I like about this is that it gives another perspective on how the lenses cover various aspects of photography. The angle of view or focal length can be misleading but by having both you have a good idea of how these lenses overlap. Practically speaking - not terribly important but fun if you like data.
Now - embed an image taken at each focal length from the lenses of the same subject... EVIL LAUGH...
I like data but having a terrible time with the next iteration which was CFD vs. FOV. I am farming that one out to an even bigger geek.

I think bottom line is:

I have quite a few lenses, some are ~(medium) high-end and some are kit lenses and run of the mill lenses.
They vary in quality, CFD and FOV.
I do have overlap but there is no "perfect" lens for all uses. That said, my favorite pics are from the 18-135 and the 10-17.
I take pics that make me happy and I do not sell them, so no harm if they do not make anyone else happy.
06-04-2022, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like data but having a terrible time with the next iteration which was CFD vs. FOV. I am farming that one out to an even bigger geek.

I think bottom line is:

I have quite a few lenses, some are ~(medium) high-end and some are kit lenses and run of the mill lenses.
They vary in quality, CFD and FOV.
I do have overlap but there is no "perfect" lens for all uses. That said, my favorite pics are from the 18-135 and the 10-17.
I take pics that make me happy and I do not sell them, so no harm if they do not make anyone else happy.
I own too many lenses myself. I also like those two lenses a lot.
06-04-2022, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

1. Overlap is actually redundancy.... hence not a problem but risk mitigation.... 😉 or just an opportunity to share with my grown-up kids.

2. Maybe you should go 3D, adding a dimension like aperture for dof manipulation and lowlight conditions, or minimum focus distance for max magnification in macro , or another use case (travel-lightweight, family indoor-wide, kids-fast, wildlife-tele, sports-fast focus, ...). , most likely it will reveal shortcomings in your lens portfolio....and hopefully explain why you did acquire a specific lens.

PS: my most used lens is a sigma 17-70 f2.8 4 hsm, sometimes replaced by a 17-50 f2,8 screwdrive. Most times accompanied by the pentax 10-17 and one tele (many options), oh, and a f1,7 50mm for evenings and night shots. All with a K3II in a small backpack ...allowing also for a few drinks/snacks for sharing to avoid I am questioned why I need a backpack (and soo many lenses).
Only when I travel for work ( but still want a camera with me , just in case ) or when circumstances require caution (like mass events..), I use a secondhand k70 and a compact 18-250 zoom.
06-04-2022, 05:25 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Do *not* get me started on handbags : I have overlap on those as well. Shoes, not so much.
Do Billingham Bags count? I have 4 myself